Old 09-22-2015, 09:01 PM   #21
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Healthy sex (Nobody wants to say it) And a couple of natural items that I don't push on anybody, works for us period.

Al-Ketchikan

Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:23 PM   #22

City: LAFAYETTE,LA
Vessel Name: Relenti
Vessel Model: Atlantic 30, 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Healthy sex (Nobody wants to say it) And a couple of natural items that I don't push on anybody, works for us period.

Al-Ketchikan
Al--
Now your bragging

ddalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:11 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Healthy sex (Nobody wants to say it)
Wifey B: Yes, yes, yes. It actually does have many health benefits. Plus it's fun. Google "Health Benefits of Sex". I better say no more.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:22 PM   #24
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
I can eat a whole lot and not gain a pound. So I eat at my leisure.

That's the plan Stan.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:39 PM   #25
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post

That's the plan Stan.
http://www.mikethefanboy.com/wp/wp-c...yVk1r2z94x.gif
Old 09-22-2015, 11:27 PM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post

That's the plan Stan.
That will change, starting in about 15 years.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:34 PM   #27
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
That will change, starting in about 15 years.

Yep, but that's a long ways out! I don't really eat A LOT. But sometimes I will go a little crazy on a buffet, but not an everyday occurrence.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:20 AM   #28
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I monitor my weight by taking the scale about once annually. Meanwhile, I'm at the tightest fitting on my belt, and the pants keep wanting to fall. Thinking of getting suspenders, a shorter belt, or narrower pants. That's fine. Won't begin to worry unless I lose another 50 pounds (lost 10 in the last year, another 20 would be great).
Old 09-23-2015, 01:04 AM   #29
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
I will hum a few bars and you guys can catch up

"Its hard to be humble when your per~fit in every way"

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:09 AM   #30
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
True Al- but we're doin' the best that we can...

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 09-23-2015, 06:34 AM   #31
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:

Al-Ketchikan
Just sayin'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	I-Like-Yer-Style-Dude.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	44879  
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:45 AM   #32
Guru

City: Sydney
I refuse to have a beer before 3pm week days and before 10am weekends .
gaston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:23 AM   #33
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
I run 2-3 miles 2-3x a week out at a local park. It's hard on my feet and knees, and it damn near kills me while I'm doing it, but it sure feels good the rest of the day.

I'm not fat at 6'2" and 185lbs, but I'm not liking what gravity (and too much beer) is starting to do to my body. 😄
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:41 AM   #34
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
For exercise, I walk, bike, and scuba dive. Spearfishing and lobstering while cold water scuba diving is a strenuous workout. Eat a simple healthy balanced diet with lots of fish during the summer (go figure). Don't smoke, watch no more than 1 hour of TV per day and limit alcohol to no more than one beer per day.....usually. Drink lots of water. Avoid pain killers, vaccines, and sanitizers unless absolutely necessary. At 6' and 165 lbs., it still works for me.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:16 AM   #35
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
I run 2-3 miles 2-3x a week out at a local park. It's hard on my feet and knees, and it damn near kills me while I'm doing it, but it sure feels good the rest of the day.

I'm not fat at 6'2" and 185lbs, but I'm not liking what gravity (and too much beer) is starting to do to my body. ��
I'm a runner, about 15 to 30 miles a week, depending on how busy my work schedule is and if I am at home or on the road. I'm 50 years old. I run in Vibram five fingers. I've been doing it now since 2007 with no running related injuries.

Cardude, and the others that say jogging/running is hard on the joints, that is old school thinking that is not based on any sort of fact. Most modern studies actually show that running is good for your knees.

If 2 to 3 miles is tough on your feet and knees, you should consider trying some simple exercises to strengthen your lower extremities. Stand on a step with your heels hanging over the edge and lift up onto your toes. Do 25 reps before and after you run. Do 20 squats twice a week, keeping your knees behind your shoe laces. Stand barefoot on an old towel and wad it up with your toes.

Get someone to look at your form and give you some pointers. That does NOT mean to go to your local running store and run on the treadmill while they video your feet. Look for a coach. Or, here is a great site. Dr. Nick's Running Blog - Running injuries, foot pain, shoes, heel pain - Your source for all running related questions!

Then ditch your big stiff shoes that some shoe company with a vested interest told you were the latest, greatest thing.

Over time, arch support makes your feet weak and should only be used while you are rehabbing an injury. Too much cushioning makes a shoe unstable causing twisting which IS hard on the knees.

Gradually transition into as light/thin/flexible shoe as you can. It's tough in the beginning but oh so worth it in the end.

This unsolicited advice holds true for all you walkers out there as well, it's just not as critical.

I'll get off my soapbox now. Thanks for listening, I hope I helped at least one person. :-)
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:26 AM   #36
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I think diet is primary.
Read the book "Wheat Belly" and buy into it considerably. Eating more meat now less wheat. Two slices of whole wheat bread produces more shugar in the blood than one full sized Snickers bar. Once sugar and wheat is largely gone healthy eating is mostly achieved. I never drink pop and rarely eat deep fried things. Wine and beer once and awhile (every month about) and lots of apples and oranges. At least half our fruit is organic and Chris has a big garden so kale, carrots, grapes, kiwis, mulberries, zucchini, corn and potatoes are frequently eaten .. especially in the summer.

My sin diet wise is that I miss the most important meal .. mid day about half the time. Very few restaurants offer healthy food. I'm drinking too much coffee again .. not more than one cup a day though. However it's almost always at Starbucks so not weak coffee. Boat work dosn't help.

We read labels on food packages and know carrots contain lots of shugar and celery lots of salt ect.

I was working out at least three times a week. I like what I call the muscle machines. I use about 15 of them and it's great that we use lots of muscles that otherwise don't get used or used very little. When I was young I thought cardio was where it was at but now I feel mussels and mobility is more important. Need to get back into the gym regularly. The gym isn't boring to me as I work at it some and only spend about 15 minutes a visit. No significant sweating so I'm in and out quickly. They say every other day is best.

The rest is mostly work around the house (built several car ports) and work on the boat. With my arthritis work on the boat frequently isn't good for me. Now if I can get back into the gym and do lunch every day .............

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:49 AM   #37
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
What do you do to keep in shape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
I'm a runner, about 15 to 30 miles a week, depending on how busy my work schedule is and if I am at home or on the road. I'm 50 years old. I run in Vibram five fingers. I've been doing it now since 2007 with no running related injuries.

Cardude, and the others that say jogging/running is hard on the joints, that is old school thinking that is not based on any sort of fact. Most modern studies actually show that running is good for your knees.

If 2 to 3 miles is tough on your feet and knees, you should consider trying some simple exercises to strengthen your lower extremities. Stand on a step with your heels hanging over the edge and lift up onto your toes. Do 25 reps before and after you run. Do 20 squats twice a week, keeping your knees behind your shoe laces. Stand barefoot on an old towel and wad it up with your toes.

Get someone to look at your form and give you some pointers. That does NOT mean to go to your local running store and run on the treadmill while they video your feet. Look for a coach. Or, here is a great site. Dr. Nick's Running Blog - Running injuries, foot pain, shoes, heel pain - Your source for all running related questions!

Then ditch your big stiff shoes that some shoe company with a vested interest told you were the latest, greatest thing.

Over time, arch support makes your feet weak and should only be used while you are rehabbing an injury. Too much cushioning makes a shoe unstable causing twisting which IS hard on the knees.

Gradually transition into as light/thin/flexible shoe as you can. It's tough in the beginning but oh so worth it in the end.

This unsolicited advice holds true for all you walkers out there as well, it's just not as critical.

I'll get off my soapbox now. Thanks for listening, I hope I helped at least one person. :-)

Thanks for this tips.

As far as form, I do think this is part of the problem. I catch myself "plodding"at times and extending my feet too far in front of my body I think. A running coach would probably help.

I run in some Asics shoes. Pretty big looking. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1443019655.003982.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	44885
But they have "Gel Cumulous" and "fluidride"! 😳

To be clear, I'm NOT a runner by nature and don't usually enjoy it, unless the weather is nice and not 100% humidity like it was today. It just seems to be the best exercise I can do in the least amount of time. I hate walking for hours. And when I say "running" I'm really just jogging at a 8-9 min mile pace.
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:13 AM   #38
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Thanks for this tips.
I run in some Asics shoes. Pretty big looking. Attachment 44885
But they have "Gel Cumulous" and "fluidride"! 😳
One more tip, Bill. It would probably not be a good idea to parade around in front of Oliver with those shoes.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:40 AM   #39
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
I've kept the same shape for about the last ten years , 20 lbs overweight .I work for a lumber company and I ride this bike at work . It's the best way to get around here . I work on the boat a bunch and that helps keep my limbered up somewhat , but I hurt like hell when thru with a project . I should walk more .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	44886  
Old 09-23-2015, 11:44 AM   #40

a good guide to follow

Name:	HealthyWeightChartForMen.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	78.7 KB