Old 09-26-2015, 10:36 PM   #21
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I saw the words pull start. I have to advise that no one over 50 should be pull starting any engine. It's the worst motion you can do for your heart. I know people do it all the time, but cardiologists warn against it. Oh, I might add that my father's fatal heart attacks came from pull starting a leaf mulcher.
Finally proof that I can show the admiral that yard work kills..I have been using that line for years!

Hollywood
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:41 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
Finally proof that I can show the admiral that yard work kills..I have been using that line for years!

Hollywood
Glad to be of help. I use to wonder who decided grass was a good idea? I'm sure sometime in history one person planted it and it suddenly became the thing to do, then spread.

Now, I had a great way of getting out of mowing grass once I was diagnosed in my late teen years with a severe allergy to cut grass. Sure wish I'd been diagnosed earlier.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 03:12 AM   #23
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealife View Post
In preparation for our cruise, I recently found out the 4 strokes cannot handle the lesser quality/dirty out of country fuel. Apparently they have smaller jets, etc. Just a thought depending on your cruising itinerary.

Scott
Hmmm... When you travel out of the country you see 4 strokes everywhere. Maybe it just a matter of proper filtration and using a good fuel treatment but I've never had a fuel issue with the 4 strokes I've run out in other countries.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 05:17 AM   #24
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
We sold a perfectly good low hour Tohatsu 6 hp 4 stroke because it would not plane off the 8.6 RHIB. The replacement was a 20 year old Evinrude 9.9 2 stroke for $300. Carb kit, 2 spark plugs, and a waterpump kit for about $120. Result is 70 pounds of smooth running and easy to start pleasure. And if it gets stolen, there are many more sitting around in decent shape.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:19 AM   #25
Rip

City: Campbell Creek, NC
Vessel Name: Lab Partners
Vessel Model: Monk 36
I also should have noted the EFI Suzukis are reportedly immune to ethenol issues and once the ECM is energized they start first pull (seems to stay energized when used daily). We are late 50s and the Admiral is 5' tall.

Rip
M/V Lab Partners
Monk 36 #247
Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:41 AM   #26
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
We switched to a Suzuki DF15A at the beginning of the 2014 season. Lightest electric-start I could find (106-lbs), and the only "portable" (9.9/15/20-hp) models available with fuel injection. (15 is because of the max HP rating for our dink.)

BUT... I couldn't have done that before we acquired a dinghy trailer.... so we can leave the motor mounted all the time.

Used to be 10- and 15-hp 2-stroke models shared the same platform so weighed the same. Not so with 4-strokes; now the 8- and 9.9-hp models are usually the same base weight, and 15- and 20-hp models are a heavier (common) weight. Suzuki, for some reason, has apparently chosen to make a 9.9-hp model based on the same platform as their 15/20s... which seems little odd, but it does include the fuel injection.

So far, no issues with ethanol.

Electric start so we can both start the thing equally well; wifey needs the assist, and my shoulders are so hosed that pull-starting isn't fun for me anymore.

Can't compare (other than on-paper specs) to other 4-stroke models; don't have hands-on experience with others.

-Chris
Old 09-27-2015, 11:34 AM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Evinrude 9.8: 81-104 lbs
Yamaha 9.9: 87-93 lbs
Suzuki 9.9: 87-120 lbs
Mercury 9.9: 84-108 lbs.
Tohatsu 9.8: 82-? lbs.
Honda 9.9: 92-107 lbs.
Lehr 9.9: 88 lbs.

Mercury 9.8 (1974 model): 65 lbs.
Evinrude 9.9 (1974 model): 65-73 lbs.
Tohatsu 9.8 (1981 model): 68 lbs.
Chrysler 9.9 (1980 model): 58-79 lbs.
Honda 9.9 (1978 model): 75 lbs.
Force 9.9 (1984 model): 58 lbs.

I think for most people lifting 70 lbs is tolerable but lifting 100 lbs just becomes too much. In industry, 60 lbs is the maximum lifting supposed to be done without equipment.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:15 PM   #28
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
We sold a perfectly good low hour Tohatsu 6 hp 4 stroke because it would not plane off the 8.6 RHIB. The replacement was a 20 year old Evinrude 9.9 2 stroke for $300. Carb kit, 2 spark plugs, and a waterpump kit for about $120. Result is 70 pounds of smooth running and easy to start pleasure. And if it gets stolen, there are many more sitting around in decent shape.

The Admiral wisely insisted that I purchase an engine for the last dink (rib 340) that I could remove from the dink at the swim platform- tote up the ladder and stow on a mount I fabricated on the aft deck railings. The Merc 3.5 4 stroke (Tohatsu) got the nod. Mostly a good choice since the dink spent its life generally sitting in the water snapped to the Weavers (mostly a bad choice ;()
Fast forward. New Rib 350, I fit it to a trailer and now drop the girl in the water when at the boat- and remove it for a thorough wash/ rinse and then covered. I've got the nod to start shopping for a replacement engine- and probably will order a 15 hp/ short shaft/ battery start/ with a long tiller to allow me to balance the dink better when on plane. Second choice would be a seasoned 2 stroke- would probably take care of the maintenance issues mentioned above/ purchase a new tank/ then ship it to Hopkins Carter for Bill to needle scale/ prime/ paint OEM colors and then apply decals....As my saltwater fishing skills evolve (currently seem to be non existent) the ability to reach those honey holes in a timely manner will be greatly enhanced...
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1443374149.616004.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	45021

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 09-27-2015, 08:16 PM   #29
Guru

City: Vermont
We had an 11' Avon - pretty much identical to the AB - and had a 15HP honda with electric start. The electric start solved the problem of who can pull start the motor and who can't. And 15HP was plenty of power. Our davit and general use of the dinghy did not require taking the engine on and off, so the weight of the engine and extra connections of the battery was not an issue for us. If you have to constantly install and remove the engine then weight and the number of connections would really matter.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:30 PM   #30
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I've decided that I don't want to wrestle any engine over fifty pounds. That limits me to about five HP with four cycle engines. Little Possum can't carry much of a dinghy anyway so I just go slow.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:04 PM   #31

City: Merced CA
Vessel Name: none
Vessel Model: pipe dream
ok since we're "trawler" fans here, how about finding an old reliable British Seagull and enjoy the journey -- forget planing
Old 09-27-2015, 09:22 PM   #32
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Sold my 5-hp, single-cylinder Seagull before acquiring a dinghy. (It was the auxiliary engine for my previous sailboat.) Could be man-handled and always reliable.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:43 PM   #33
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Considered electric?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:51 PM   #34
Guru

Old reliable Seagull? No such thing. New reliable Seagull, never was such a thing. Miserable damn things. The best you could say about them was they were easy to fix when they broke. 25:1 gas to oil ratio when every other outboard ran on 50:1, just plain dirty. Of course that was an improvement over the original 10:1 ratio.
Bakelite spark plug covers broke with a little tap. Banjo bolt fuel connections leaked. That recoil starter they tacked on jammed all the time. At least it was easy to take off and the old rope wind pulley was underneath. The fuel shutoff actually had cork in it! It was probably a good outboard, in the 1930's.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:03 PM   #35
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
.... That recoil starter they tacked on jammed all the time. At least it was easy to take off and the old rope wind pulley was underneath. The fuel shutoff actually had cork in it! It was probably a good outboard, in the 1930's.
Recoil start on a Seagull? I only remember a rope with a wooden handle, the repetitive use of which was accompanied by very bad language. But it did work, and it beat rowing around beautiful Jervis Bay on the south coast of NSW.
Try this as a source of 3 hp electric outboards. Ok, it`s in Australia, but they won`t be made here, few things are, and are likely to be readily available worldwide, probably made in China or maybe Korea, knowing the seller. Epropulsion | Island Inflatables
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:23 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Hmmm... When you travel out of the country you see 4 strokes everywhere. Maybe it just a matter of proper filtration and using a good fuel treatment but I've never had a fuel issue with the 4 strokes I've run out in other countries.
Any specific countries? The sense that I have is that I have only seen 4 strokes smaller than 25hp in the majority where it is legally required. In the Eastern Caribbean where the 4 strokes are not required few dinghies have them and usually only because they were bought in the US / Canada or Europe before they came to the Eastern Caribbean.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:26 PM   #37
Guru

Brucek, look at Mark's picture. His had the recoil starter.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:33 PM   #38
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
The absolute best dinghy motor is a early 90's yamaha 2 stroke.. 9.9 or 15 the weight is the same. Find a lake motor that has spent its time in fresh water, do as someone else suggested and do a complete tune up and enjoy it. My first one took almost 20 years to kill , now I'm into 10 years on the second one and it is doing great.

One of the nordhavn's I cruised had a very low hour injected 4 stroke and is was a huge pain in the ass..very fuel sensitive, hard to work on, heavy, under powered..did I mention it was a pain in the ass!!
I have personally done just about every evil thing one can do to a outboard short of lighting it on fire and the Yamaha's just take it. The above 4 stroke was a suzuki and I really did want to torch it!
The yamaha's are 100/1 and barely smoke and are bulletproof..I'm sold on them.
Hollywood
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:37 PM   #39
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Is there ANYTHING Mark doesn't have a picture of?
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:41 PM   #40

City: Merced CA
Vessel Name: none
Vessel Model: pipe dream
guess i was lucky, but my seagull nev er gave me any trouble. remember many a fun time putting around the san joaquin on our avon,,,