What did you wish you brought?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I've had one tender prop spin in the last 30 years. And I had not hit anything. Can't speak to the prior history of the prop.

I can see having one spare. But two is a bit of overkill IMO.

I guess the difference between being prepared or over prepared. To each your own, just saying.

I think I've had one tender prop spin in the last 30 years. And I had not hit anything. Can't speak to the prior history of the prop.

Just my option, doesn't need to be over analyzed or you don't need to take the advice. Just one very experienced off shore captains thoughts!

Unless you run a mid '90s Merc 15 with stock Al props. I've spun 3 of just those over the years. Once I put on a Asian made SS prop, that issue went away. Pretty dibilitating to spin a prop on any single OB boat in the Bahamas. Last I checked only Nassau had a full service OB prop shop. All other locations just sent them to Nassau. Not good if you are only there a short time.

Surprising to hear the breadmaker response. One of the few food items that we have found are really good in the Bahamas are baked goods. Hard to beat fresh coconut bread.

Snack foods (chips etc) are SUPER expensive there, so we bring those over. SO are paper goods like towels and toilet paper. Cash is very hard to get but much needed. We always bring $1,000 as an emergency fund. ATMs are not readily available and likely won't work with a stateside account.

Go to the first BTC office you get to and get a chip put in your phone so you have a local #. Then top up your data and use your phone for a hotspot. BTC has surprisingly good data coverage. WiFi is scketchy, at best and the services like OII and WIMax get over loaded very quickly. Cellular data is the way to go for weather and email.

In defense of the Bahamas as a cruising ground.

I go the the Bahamas to escape the US. Not saying at all I don't like it here, but I go to escape. The Keys is no escape. HIgh speed boat and car traffic, lots of similar stores, and so it goes. During my last week there, a drunk hit and killed a cyclist and dragged him/her 1/2 mile before stopping. I go there to catch lobster, and that's it. OK, sometimes to check out K West to see if anything has changed. Especially pertinant if you live in coastal FL. So, it depends on perspective.

Now, the Bahamas has diversity, both natural and cultural. If all you know is Nassau, well, that's all you know.

A couple of stories:
Was in the dink somewhere off Cat Island (NOT Cat Cay). Trying to fish, not any luck. Locals, unhailed, pulled up in their clapped out 15' fiberglass boat to check us out. They gave us a beautiful grouper, unasked for.
Another Cat Is story. Wife and I found ourselves walking along a lonely paved road in S Cat. A woman in a station wagon pulled over to give us a ride. She already had 3 kids in the car, and was "pot hole" farming. Stopping every now and then to pull a few beans out of the ground, or maybe a head of lettuce a mile later. Dirt poor, and one of the nicest acts of kindness you will find. You will meet an entirely different crowd in Andros. Don't expect Cat Is hospitality there. Still poor though. If you need rich, there is Cat Cay, Paradis Is, West End, and more.
Bottom line, huge cultural diversity, just below the surface of an otherwise geographically low and uninteresting series of somewhat independant islands.

Good. You've found your shallow comfort zone. Enjoy!

As to anyone else reading that post who is thinking about going to the Bahamas, most of what's on that list is false.

It's fine he likes Key West, but sure sounds like he's formed a very uninformed opinion of the Bahamas, a place I'm guessing he's never been. It he'd been there and didn't like it, that would be different. I know plenty of people who don't like Key West. We do.

Unless you run a mid '90s Merc 15 with stock Al props. I've spun 3 of just those over the years. Once I put on a Asian made SS prop, that issue went away. Pretty dibilitating to spin a prop on any single OB boat in the Bahamas. Last I checked only Nassau had a full service OB prop shop. All other locations just sent them to Nassau. Not good if you are only there a short time.

Now I know to stay away from 90s Merc 15s with aluminum props, thanks. :D

Donna: Reading these posts reminds me of one of our trips last summer. The oldest grandson was passing me the 'all important' can opener. Can't have a cookout without baked beans.....

Splash.

So my advice. GOOD quality can opener and bottle opener. ( and a set of spares tucked away). Life is no good if you can't get the bottle of wine or the canned food open.

I have taken most advice and Southerly is nearly stocked except for the bread maker and spare dingy prop/props. I have a spare for the mother ship, I'm good with that.

Funny an extra can opener was mentioned. Just bought a second the other day!

I am also using my daughters timeshare. She has about 12 extra weeks! LOL! Island seas resort and marina so I will surely not be camping. I'm a creature of comfort when I'm not working or working on the boat.

Now, where did all those extra pantyhose go? Yep, great in a pinch! Pun intended!

I have taken most advice and Southerly is nearly stocked except for the bread maker and spare dingy prop/props. I have a spare for the mother ship, I'm good with that.

Funny an extra can opener was mentioned. Just bought a second the other day!

I am also using my daughters timeshare. She has about 12 extra weeks! LOL! Island seas resort and marina so I will surely not be camping. I'm a creature of comfort when I'm not working or working on the boat.

Now, where did all those extra pantyhose go? Yep, great in a pinch! Pun intended!

Wifey B: Pantyhose? :eek::trash:

You're going to have just a wonderful time. Partly because you're escaping to a fun place, and partly because you'll make sure it's wonderful. You won't let little annoyances side track you from pleasure. I'm amazed at all you've done to the boat yourself. Sure not stuff I could do.

I'd be fine without the breadmaker. We don't do much bread anyway and no need for a breadmaker.

Have a wonderful wonderful wonderful time. :D:D:D

Wifey B: Pantyhose? :eek::trash:

You're going to have just a wonderful time. Partly because you're escaping to a fun place, and partly because you'll make sure it's wonderful. You won't let little annoyances side track you from pleasure. I'm amazed at all you've done to the boat yourself. Sure not stuff I could do.

I'd be fine without the breadmaker. We don't do much bread anyway and no need for a breadmaker.

Have a wonderful wonderful wonderful time. :D:D:D

Thanks!!!! I'm sure I will. The pantyhose are for a temp. fix in case a belt breaks and I don't have a spare till I limp to shore. I keep a pair in my car too! :eek:

After reading all of the posts I have reaffirmed in my mind that going to the Bahamas is like camping out at a KOA park.
$300 entry fee
No fresh food
No stocked grocery stores
Limited fuel
No access to marine parts
(Thank God nothing breaks on a boat)
Treacherous crossing with N wind
A menu of can goods in paradise.
No Thanks
I Love The Keys and everything I have come to expect here in America.
It's great for some.
Not for me.

Are you sure you have actually been to the Bahamas?

After the $300 dollar entry fee (not technically correct as smaller boats pay $150) I don't see a single thing here that I regard as accurate. And, I've been to the Bahamas about ten times (including working there).

Greetings,
Mr. 9. I think you will have to admit a crossing with a north wind can be/is treacherous. That's about it. To expect everything to be the same as America is narrow minded IMO. It's NOT America nor is France, Australia or China. As has been mentioned, there is so much to enjoy in the Bahamas it's a pity too exclude it from one's travel plans.

Greetings,
Mr. 9. I think you will have to admit a crossing with a north wind can be/is treacherous. That's about it. To expect everything to be the same as America is narrow minded IMO. It's NOT America nor is France, Australia or China. As has been mentioned, there is so much to enjoy in the Bahamas it's a pity too exclude it from one's travel plans.

Yeah, I missed that one. Yes, it can be. :)

Greetings,

Actually it's great that some/many people don't want to that their boats there. It's becoming crowded enough.

So what was I thinking, yeah, the Bahamas suck!

(Please disregard the fact that I typed this while currently snorkeling with guests off of Spanish Wells.) :D

Actually it's great that some/many people don't want to that their boats there. It's becoming crowded enough.

(Please disregard the fact that I typed this while currently snorkeling with guests off of Spanish Wells.) :D

Oh, yes. You're right. It's horrible. Death and destruction everywhere! Stay away. Do it for the children! :D

Should we put together a list of places, starting with Spanish Wells, to tell people to definitely not go? We better not. We need the businesses patronized so they remain there for us.

As to the crossing, there's no part of the ocean I'm aware of that can't be difficult at times. Now, for those who only cruise the ICW there is a difference.

We need the businesses patronized so they remain there for us.
Therein lies the paradox. You want enough people that the place remains viable and vibrant, but not so many people that it turns into just another over-crowded tourist trap. It's a fine line to walk.

Therein lies the paradox. You want enough people that the place remains viable and vibrant, but not so many people that it turns into just another over-crowded tourist trap. It's a fine line to walk.

Speaking of which; I was sent this info yesterday:
thebahamasweekly.com - East Grand Bahama cruise port facility to be developed by Carnival Cruise Line

The good news is the the USAF already invaded and somewhat scared this area in the '50's. Bad news is the future impact of tens of thousands of tourists in this eco sensitive area. It might be a simple ploy by Carnival to negotiate out of their daily $40k "dockage fee". :eek:

Meat (frozen). Most food items or reasonable replacements can be bought in the Bahamas. If you are not prepared to switch brands on most food items you might consider not traveling abroad. Good meat is difficult to find.

Spare parts. If you don't have it with you it will likely cost you double and may take three weeks to have flown in and clear customs. Several friends were stranded until the part they needed arrived. Last I heard the Bahamas had a 35% duty on parts flown in.

Spare unlocked world cell phone (all four frequencies) so you can put a Bahamian chip in.

Full fuel tanks. Several reasons for not buying diesel in the Bahamas.

Cable or chain (preferred) to lock your dinghy.

2nd painter for the dinghy. When we were in George Town we averaged a dinghy rescue a day. Advise using two painters and lock the dinghy (or raise it) at night.

Couple of five gallon water cans. There are places that will supply water and you may want to cart it to your boat at anchor.

As parts come up a lot in this discussion. Three suggestions on getting parts to the Bahamas quickly. For small parts, use a company expert in handling such shipments such as St. Brendan's. For other parts, use a Bahamas shipyard which imports parts all the time and can quickly get them in when they're the purchaser. Also, it can often speed things up to use a Bahamas Agent and allow them to handle the importing and customs issues.

A Pressure Cooker and cookbook to go with it.
A case of wine.
$10,000 in small bills.

Have a nice trip!

Excellent; BUT, does Vietnam know about this? I've been twice in the last two years, and had to bring all my own coffee. I found it there twice; once in a can, and once in the airport. :facepalm:

Not sure what you're talking about. Trung Nguyen and Highland are both fantastic and plentiful. There are more cafes in VN than in European countries also.

Donna; I will submit that a list of where to go to get stuff fixed is wise. Machine shops, prop shops, travel lifts, etc.
I'll start with my past emergency stops.
Man-of-war Cay for machine shop
Stella Maris for rail lift
Spanish Wells for prop repair;
Freeport, and Nassau for Dr and easy pharma
Freeport for auto stores with some marine stuff; reasonable oil cost, etc.
Andros; lots of fresh water, free in the street.
Georgetown; easy laundry; parts scrapyard; dockside fuel truck delivery
and lastly; any point > 100 miles from Nassau; fish (OK that's somewhat a joke)

One thing I have not seen anywhere is soda...or "cokes" as we call them here in Texas. I have never been to the Bahamas(by boat). But I have friends that have cruised them and it seemed the one thing they all said was that rum was cheap....and cokes were not. So if you like sodas by themselves or with your rum, bring them.

Their alternative was powdered Crystal Light....with their rum. Seemed to be the choice of mixer with the cruisers. Coke with their rum was a luxury.

I gave coke away years ago, phosphoric acid was killing me or so it felt.
I replaced it with a generic grocery store cola at 1/4 of the cost and was very happy.
They recently changed their label, and their concoction so, so am after something else.

Rum and bubbly water with a squeeze of real lemon or lime works.
If plentiful and cheap mint is available simple sugar syrup and mojitos are in order.

Many of the islands have "sour oranges" .

These are orange trees that lost their grafted portion and the trunk reverted to its primitive oranges.

GREAT as a mixer !

As parts come up a lot in this discussion...

Check with what ever airlines flies into where you are. We had 2 shipments sent to us this winter in Great Habour. We ordered a part from Seattle on Tuesday sent 2nd day to Fort Lauderdale to Tropic Ocean Airways. We picked it up on Friday. Less than $35 complete (2nd day was $25 and Tropic Ocean charged $10) and no duty. I did have to show our cruising permit to customs in Great Harbour.

We did the same thing before with Watermakers Air flying into Staniel Cay.

Larry: Here is the information you need:

Tropic Ocean Airways
(your name) – GHC
1100 Lee Wagener Blvd Ste 115D
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33315

We charge the great of $1.50/lb OR (Length x Width x Height)/166 * $1.50

Minimum is $10/package.

Find the attached credit authorization sheet.

We fly to GHC on Wed, Fri and Sun. We strive to send your items the first available flight!

Thanks!

Check with what ever airlines flies into where you are. We had 2 shipments sent to us this winter in Great Habour. We ordered a part from Seattle on Tuesday sent 2nd day to Fort Lauderdale to Tropic Ocean Airways. We picked it up on Friday. Less than $35 complete (2nd day was $25 and Tropic Ocean charged $10) and no duty. I did have to show our cruising permit to customs in Great Harbour.

We did the same thing before with Watermakers Air flying into Staniel Cay.

Larry: Here is the information you need:

Tropic Ocean Airways
(your name) – GHC
1100 Lee Wagener Blvd Ste 115D
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33315

We charge the great of $1.50/lb OR (Length x Width x Height)/166 * $1.50

Minimum is $10/package.

Find the attached credit authorization sheet.

We fly to GHC on Wed, Fri and Sun. We strive to send your items the first available flight!

Thanks!

Just more examples that it's not that hard if you use someone who knows the rules. The people who have trouble are those who just ship it without any clearance paperwork or documentation or those who just try to carry it in, again without documentation. This is true in every country I'm aware of.

If plentiful and cheap mint is available simple sugar syrup and mojitos are in order.

Mmmmmm.... Mojitos...... Margaritas.....

IMG_5659.JPG

Don't forget the jalapeño garnish.

Back
Top Bottom