Old 02-11-2017, 10:08 AM   #1
p38

City: chicago
What did he do wrong?

Howdy everybody! I found this video on youtube, if you get caught in a similar situation, what would you do to get out of the trouble?

https://youtu.be/Ej8byDHhbSs

p38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:12 PM   #2

City: South East
It looks like the outboard engine stopped ? Then the cut off have led to the situation.

Old 02-11-2017, 01:13 PM   #3
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Looks like he lost power. Not much you can do in that situation. To get out of this trouble I would not have gone into that trouble in the first place...
Old 02-11-2017, 01:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Redwood City, CA
Vessel Name: Woodhouse
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
Yeah, you can see the engine go completely underwater for a moment just before it quits. Without air: no go.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:25 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
Looks like he lost power. Not much you can do in that situation. To get out of this trouble I would not have gone into that trouble in the first place...
Agree but if I found myself in that place I would have not gone bow straight into waves maybe 45 degrees and a little faster. If that was not working there appears to be enough wave interval to spin boat around and get out off there with enough speed to ride the back of a wave. What you don't want in a little open boat like that is a wave to mount your stern which was the final death blow to this boat.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:59 PM   #6

City: Wherever the boat is
Vessel Name: Silver Quarter
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
boat was listing too after engine stopped... I think the answer to the OP question is "Operated his boat in the surf zone".
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:14 PM   #7
Guru

City: ACIW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Not a great scenario to be in to begin with.

I would say he spent too long in the danger zone, but not being able to see just how wide it was...tough to really say.

Going through surf without a surf capable boat is possible, but all too often, that is what happens.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:45 PM   #8
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
He left the outboard partially raised after getting off the beach, so when he gunned it to speed out of the danger zone between breakers it just forced the stern down. Good lesson in the importance of sticking to basics in hairy situations.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:49 PM   #9
p38

City: chicago
Murry: I was thinking of the same thing, he seemed to have trimmed the outboard too high, could that be the reason the engine got flooded and died?
p38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:52 PM   #10
Guru

That's my guess, especially when near vertical in "soft" water in the breaker...the outboard would have forced the stern further down into the white water.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:52 PM   #11
Guru

Oh...welcome aboard
Old 02-11-2017, 03:00 PM   #12
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
First, just making the attempt was a mistake. Second, failure to realize he was over his head and find a way to bail, to take a different direction or reverse course. Can't know the options without the whole picture. Third, I can see the engine tilt as part of an issue, but speed it also an issue. He was going to slow and totally relinquishing control to the waves, riding them slowly and all the way to the top and back to the bottom. So he made a mistake attempting it and he lacked the skill and experience to pull it off once in the situation.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #13
Guru

We have done quite a bit of surf landings and exiting through surf while sea kayaking exposed sections on BC's coast. It's not a mistake to try it if you know what to do. Lots of beaches in Oregon have powerboats exiting and landing through surf all the time.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:31 PM   #14
Guru

Here's how to handle a power boat in the surf zone! Kapten boat collar helps, but this guy knows his stuff!!

Old 02-11-2017, 05:11 PM   #15
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
What did he do wrong?

He shouldn't have had that hit on the crack pipe, which made him think it was a good day to head out.

He almost ran over that surfer!
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 05:16 PM   #16
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Here's how to handle a power boat in the surf zone! Kapten boat collar helps, but this guy knows his stuff!!

But he's screwing up the lineup for the surfers. Bad enough surfers have to jack with SUP people out there-- now we have to contend with an actual boat out there with a spinning prop.
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:12 PM   #17
Guru

He may have had the outboard raised because of the shallow water when the waves went by...breaking on an offshore bar.

If it was that shallow, I might have kept it raised it also.

Gunning it will force the transom down a tad.....but compared to the surf...and possibly bottoming out...it would be nothing I would worry about.

Gunning it once in the wave shot him up to the point of falling stern first and drowning the engine....too much power versus the slight angle of trim.

Plus the trim keeps the bow up a tad higher to get through the waves versus punching through all of them.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:26 PM   #18
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
He may have had the outboard raised because of the shallow water when the waves went by...breaking on an offshore bar.

If it was that shallow, I might have kept it raised it also.

Gunning it will force the transom down a tad.....but compared to the surf...and possibly bottoming out...it would be nothing I would worry about.

Gunning it once in the wave shot him up to the point of falling stern first and drowning the engine....too much power versus the slight angle of trim.

Plus the trim keeps the bow up a tad higher to get through the waves versus punching through all of them.

Hard to see how much power he has, but if that is a significant amount of hp, the trim angle is critical to getting the boat speed up. Clearly, he didn't have enough boat speed, due to his trim angle driving the stern down into the white water, slowing his forward progress and leading to swamping the boat.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:32 PM   #19
Guru

Our lifesavers/lifeguards patrol and perform rescues on surf beaches using inflatables with outboards all the time, inevitably in poor conditions, and seem to make it work. Buoyancy probably helps a lot.
Smart move to swim away from the thing before it got dumped on top of him.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:40 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Hard to see how much power he has, but if that is a significant amount of hp, the trim angle is critical to getting the boat speed up. Clearly, he didn't have enough boat speed, due to his trim angle driving the stern down into the white water, slowing his forward progress and leading to swamping the boat.
He wasn't trying to get on plane so again I disagree trim in this situation had any real effect. I still don't think the trim was all that much, just enough to keep the bow up out of the smaller waves.

On the wave that did him in, he shouldn't have used so much power to pop him that high out of the wave...letting more break on the fore deck might have been enough to do the trick.

I had to punch through breaking inlets quite often when running an assistance towboat and knowing when to take the hit versus power through was a thin line..

BUT.....there is a lot I don't know for sure about this mishap, so all in all..... all I am doing is guessing with an experienced eye.