Old 10-26-2013, 06:09 PM   #21
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Craig - another thing....I searched and searched for a used Sailrite and the ones I found were only reduced in price minimally. Get a new one so you get all of the warranty service. Usually around boat show time they'll have a deal on them.....or near the holidays....

Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #22
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besslb View Post
Craig - another thing....I searched and searched for a used Sailrite and the ones I found were only reduced in price minimally. Get a new one so you get all of the warranty service. Usually around boat show time they'll have a deal on them.....or near the holidays....
:erm:

Whoa! Do you work for NSA?

It's as though you can see me scouring eBay, Amazon, Latitude 38 and Craigslist. It's that or my cheap skate ways are becoming legendary.

Btw I see you are right too. Slim pickings for second hand units that most likely need TLC of some sort. Risk/reward ratio is such that brand new makes total sense to me too. I'm in no hurry as black canvas only sucks in the summertime

Thanks Bess

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #23
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
I actually found mine on Craig's list. The owner had it for sale, and I missed it. A year later the machine popped up again and I got it. It has it's own place in the garage now and has more than paid for itself. Any boat owner can save enough to pay for a machine.

Here's mine:

SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:17 PM   #24
Guru

We made some flat rectangular covers in a light solid material called "Herculite",broke some needles on a domestic machine where the material was double or tripled.
How do you do complex shapes, like windscreen covers, places where covers go round corners etc? An Admiral with sewing expertise?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:35 PM   #25
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
You just need to practice and learn how to miter corners and work in your seam allowances. I practice on brown craft paper and mock stuff up in paper and test fit it that way. Thread is cheap and kraft paper is cheaper.
SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:37 AM   #26
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
We made some flat rectangular covers in a light solid material called "Herculite",broke some needles on a domestic machine where the material was double or tripled.
How do you do complex shapes, like windscreen covers, places where covers go round corners etc? An Admiral with sewing expertise?
It's all in the patterning. There is a plastic patterning material that is used to make patterns in all shapes, that can do any radius, or curve. When you cut it out, lay it flat, you have a pattern. Easy Breezy. There are videos to show you how.

(**and a first mate whose Mom taught her to sew at age 15**)

Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote