What boat is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kconfer

Hello!

I'm new to the forum. Been thinking of building a small trawler similar to the Coastal Passage 34 from CMD, but I've recently discovered that Albins and CHBs might be a good buy for what I want to do - family of four cruising Prince William Sound in Alaska in semi-comfort.

In looking at boats for sale in Whittier, AK, I stumbled upon this boat. It has the look of a tug, but I was hoping someone on this forum might know what it is.

Thanks!

Keith Confer
Anchorage, AK

Attachments

• What Boat.jpg
    What Boat.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 467
Look like a Sundowner Tug to me

I'd say it was a nordic tug 34 or an American Tug 34 but both of them have a step down for the trunk cabin area and this boat does not have that. The sundowners typically have them too so I don't think it is a Sundowner either.

The hull is definitely Sundowner. All the ones I saw had the raised pilothouse including the 30, 32 and 36. However, they may have done a custom or two early on.

Looks like Harbor950 found it.

I believe it's a "Chatter Box Falls" model of the Sundowner Tug.

It's a Chatterbox Falls model Sundowner

Somewhere on another computer, I actually have a sales brochure on the Chatterbox Falls model. Basically it's the 30 footer with raised pilothouse and owners berth, but nothing behind the original version as sold by Sundowner. I'm betting that someone later added the galley and rear section. BTW, those pilothouse doors are not original either. If you're really interested, I could dig up the brochure.

RickH (also a Sundowner 30 owner)

Early on when the Nordics were just getting started they offered a 32' small cabin, big deck model for fishermen. It really didn't go anywhere but the rest of the line took off as a cruiser.

I wonder if that was what Sundowner was trying.

If I recall the Sundowners were designed by Jack Sarin.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom