Old 03-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
What is the best Used Trawler for the money 32 - 43 range?

Agree with the second head.* On smaller boats...storage and hanging space is at a premium.* The second head can be a giant wet locker, more storage, hanging locker, on-board dryer (heat cube with the port open), etc..etc..

The few square feet addeed to other spaces isn't really missed but all those other options sure are ...ESPECIALLY*THE LACK*OF A SECOND HEAD*WHEN THE OTHER HEAD IS BROKEN!!!!

-- Edited by psneeld on Thursday 1st of March 2012 04:30:17 PM

-- Edited by psneeld on Thursday 1st of March 2012 04:30:50 PM

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:19 AM   #22
FF
Guru

RE: What is the best Used Trawler for the money 32 - 43 range?

.ESPECIALLY THE LACK OF A SECOND HEAD WHEN THE OTHER HEAD IS BROKEN!!!!

WE carry a bailing bucket ( rubber animal feed , does not mar ) for lots of emergencies.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:53 AM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40

Quote:
FF wrote:
.ESPECIALLY THE LACK OF A SECOND HEAD WHEN THE OTHER HEAD IS BROKEN!!!!

WE carry a bailing bucket ( rubber animal feed , does not mar ) for lots of emergencies.

*Good enough..well at least for some ..but the actual space can be a multipurpose room. Heck I've often thought of putting a urinal in one and make mens/womens rooms out of them...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:27 AM   #24
FF
Guru

thought of putting a urinal in one

Our Mens urinal is off the side deck, but we anchor out .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #25
Scraping Paint

City: -
What is the best Used Trawler for the money 32 - 43 range?

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:
Here I go -

"So based on our experience so far, we would not want aboat of any configuration with only one head. We have two GPS plotters which provides a backup if we need it. We feel the same about toilets."

Marin - I TOTALLY agree, but have to ask - Do your GPS's come with toilet paper?

*Yes, a sample came with the units but after that you have to buy your own.* I would heartily recommend C-Map's toilet paper as it's quilted, easy to use, and extremely accurate.* In other words, it picks up everything you ask it to.* The only problem we've found with it is that because of its high reliability it doesn't break down in the holding tank as quickly as we'd like.

However, the toilet paper dispenser on our old Echotec plotter, while very basic, is far more* robust than the high-tech dispenser on the Furuno NavNet.

I have heard--- but have no direct experience with it--- that Navionics and Garmin toilet paper is horrible.* Thin, scratchy, very difficult to use efficiently.

Nobletech, Cap'n, and other laptop-based toilet paper is damn near worthless.* And even if* their lower cost deludes you into thinking you can put up with the discomfort and poor perforations that make the stuff very ineffient to use, the Microsoft dispenser that must be used with these brands is simply attrocious.*

My company in its infinite wisdom has converted all the toilet stalls across the company--- Puget Sound, Portland, Salt Lake City, Wichita, St. Louis, Huntsville, Philadelphia, Charleston-- to Microsoft toilet paper dispensers.* I recently learned that this was because Microsoft, in its desperation to make more people like them after its Zune and Windows Vista fiascos, offered my company a huge volume discount that Corporate Finance simply couldn't refuse.*

Like all Microsoft products, with every generation their dispensers get even more bloated with features you dont' need while the ones you do need either don't work with the type of toilet paper you want to use or are so buried in menus that the whole operation of wiping your butt is rendered totally unintuitive.

The only place these sorry-ass Microsoft Type 7 toilet paper dispensers are not used at my company is in Chicago.* There, all the stall dispensers are either Furuno (on the executive floors) or Mac (on the support and finance floors).* So what does that tell you about the dispensers the rest of us are stuck with?

The bottom line in this is if you want a full-function, easy to use GPS chart plotter, get a Furuno and use C-Map toilet paper with it.

-- Edited by Marin on Saturday 3rd of March 2012 03:56:45 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
Marin wrote:
I have heard--- but have no direct experience with it--- that ..... Garmin toilet paper is horrible.* Thin, scratchy, very difficult to use efficiently.
Well, as the owner of two Garmin MFDs, I now understand why my Preparation H consumption has greatly increased. I thought that it was because of my obsessive attention to detail on the boat, but I now see the light. Thank you Marin.

dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote