What is the best deal on boat gear you've ever gotten?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pau Hana

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Pau Hana
Vessel Make
1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
I have a knack for finding pretty solid deals on boat gear, and often at the most opportune time. Yesterday was a good deal day!

Our icemaker crapped out earlier this year, and I've been doing my best to justify the $1300 price tag that U-line wants for their unit.

I was persuing Craigslist, and found the unicorn- a nearly new U-line icemaker for $60! I hightailed it over, picked it up, and found it's not only a newer model with greater capacity, but fits into its assigned space perfectly. I have to rework the trim wood, but that is an easy fix.

So, to my question- what deals have you run across?

Not any on boat gear but good deals on boat lumber :
180 board ft of 5/4 Burmese teak @ $15 board ft and all the African mahogany I want for $ 3.00 bf .
Only because I work for a hardwood lumber company.:D

Back when West Marine was matching prices I needed an anchor. Defender had the one I wanted for $55 on a good sale. It was $115 at West Marine so I asked them to match Defender's price which they did. I had to pay tax of course but no shipping. Then I pulled out my West Marine rewards coupon and saved another $10.

Bought 3 Webasto air conditioners (12k BTU) for less than $2k with free shipping from Imarineusa.com during fall inventory reduction.

Ted

Went to a local yard sale where the owner was selling fishing tackle. There was a stack of empty boxes on top of one box with the lid on. Under the lid the box was full of fishing reels. In the box among other things was a Penn international 80SW 2-speed reel with a tag $50. I thought it said 350, picked it up, looked at it then looked at the tag again. $50 really? I asked the owner who confirmed. SOLD!!! Put it on eBay and it went for $520.

I'm an independent sales rep, selling outdoor apparel and footwear. I traded a sample set (which I get at 60% off of wholesale) to Sailorman in Fort Lauderdale for a brand new Caribe Light 10. My cost was around $500.

I get tons of industry deals on Outdoor gear. My friends and family say I never pay full price for anything...not entirely true, but close.

I like to barter, it works out good for everyone.

Years ago, in the early days of marine GPS, a company named something like Apelco made a chartplotter -- monochrome and very rudimentary, but high tech for its time, which WM carried for something like $500. A customer had returned one, which, for whatever reason, WM put it on the bargain table for something like 50% off, but AS-Is. I asked to have it fired up and the electronics department guy tried for an hour, with no success. He said I could have it for $50, but no returns. I offered something like $25, he accepted, I sent it to the factory for repairs and got a working unit for no additional cost.

$.25 for 300 foot of braided 5/8" anchor line. I love young blonde cashiers.

$.25 for 300 foot of braided 5/8" anchor line. I love young blonde cashiers.

Al, you didn't really do that...did you?

Not trying to play holier than thou, but if a cashier makes a mistake of that magnitude I bring it to their attention.

Same thing if someone drops a 20 out of their pocket in the line in front of me, or if the cashier hands back too much change.

While this sounds like a "great deal" my money says you did the right thing. :)

Bought a 50 amp 125/250 power cord 50'. The blue LED on the plug didn't work but the cord did. I called the manufacturer and they sent me a free second cord at no charge and told me to keep the first one. The LED on the second one failed in a few weeks---they sent me a third cord at no charge. I sold the first cord to a dockmate for $250.

I would go to yard sales of the rich when I was living on Key Biscayne, just off Miami. When the wives were having garage cleanout day, I always got excellent bargains on boat and dock accessories because so much of the property was waterfront. At the last one, I got four 12 x 30 inch fenders and six 50' x 1" unused black dock lines for $15. The husband must've killed her when he got home from his golf game.

Dania flea market had a 6 inch Chelsea Ships Clock that was gross with corrosion.

I figured the brass case was worth the $10.00 price.

Amazed when after winding, it worked!

Went to have it cleaned and oiled , only to be told its not possible , only new $600 guts would restore it.

Since it keeps good time , I just wind it weekly ,

and will install electric battery strike guts , should it ever be required.

Stopped by a yard sale and saw two bags labeled "scuba crap" listed for $100

The zippers in the bags were corroded shut so I asked what was in the bags. The lady told me at least 3 masks and a bunch of other stuff that she didn't know about.

I told her I would give her $40 for both bags and she accepted.

I got home and ripped the bags open to find 2 Dacor BC's, three regulators, three masks, and two depth gauges.

I sold the duplicates on Craigslist and made about $500 on the sale.

Al, you didn't really do that...did you?

Not trying to play holier than thou, but if a cashier makes a mistake of that magnitude I bring it to their attention.

Same thing if someone drops a 20 out of their pocket in the line in front of me, or if the cashier hands back too much change.

While this sounds like a "great deal" my money says you did the right thing. :)

I did bring it to her attention. She rolled her eyes, popped her bubble gum and pointed at the sale sticker that read $.25/yadee yadee yadah.

I said "Oh Key Doe Key".

One time I tried to let a cashier know she charger me $0.25/quart for oil when the price was $2.50 (two cases for 48 quarts). She rudely argued with me so I let her convince me...:facepalm:

As to the best deal I ever got. Walked into the local used marine place here in Poulsbo WA and saw a fireboy 700 cubic-foot FE241 fire bottle for $198 (was $1950 new at West Marine at the time). Snapped it up and for another $8 had it re-certified. Still in my engine room today.

Good to keep yer eyes open sometimes (well, OK, all the time).

Marty...........................:D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom