What am I missing here?

Does this look like too good of a deal?
(No I’m not involved in this vessel)

2006 Bruce Roberts Long Range Cruiser 650 Power Boat For Sale -
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:50 AM   #2
Guru

City: Boston Area
My mechanical knowledge is minimal, but it the transmission-shaft-stuffing box looks different on the port side than the starbord side. ( note the amount of shaft visible )
Benthic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:03 AM   #3
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
I thought that too, before this owner purchased it and put another $220-$250k of upgrades into it. Now the purchase price is back to about what he purchased it for...

The photos don't show the current condition of the boat. It is a steel boat and rust never sleeps. There are places on it where the rust has opened fissures in the paint that need to be ground down to good steel and welded back up and painted.

There are a few design issues that cause me to question this boat. The underside of the brow and side decks are wood, not steel. That wood planking has cracks where it appears to be falling over the helm station windows.

It was commercially built in china for the first owner.

It is a lot of boat for not much money, though. If you're handy and able, could be put back into good condition, but it would cost a lot to hire it done, I think. It is a low hours boat with lots of room and features but since the original owner died after commissioning and his business partner bought the boat off the estate and found it was too much boat for his use. It sat for years waiting on this current owner.

The broker talks about the owner being a retired 777 pilot (like it's a good thing) when I would have prefered the boat of the 777 mechanic instead.

The current owner did add water maker, solar panels, inverters and new batteries, as well as upgrade the prop shafts and clean up the props. I think he also rebuilt the transmissions too but that's an educated guess.

It needs paint badly, and the underlying rust problems fixed, ASAP!

It has stabilizers and they are protected by rolling chocks so it is unlikely that roll will be a problem.

It has a ton of tankage (6000 gallons or something similar). From what I understand, it is a quite efficient boat up to about 9 kts. so it has legs.

I have more pictures of the boat if anyone is interested.

No; I am not connected or related to the boat or any of it's owners.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:05 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Is there a zero missing? 4.25 million??
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:27 AM   #5
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
It’s a good deal for the right person. A lot of high end equipment. She probably needs some work. At $450,000 for a 65’ boat she can’t be perfect or she would be gone.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:19 AM   #6

City: Comox
Vessel Model: 1989 Wellington 57 motorsailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
My mechanical knowledge is minimal, but it the transmission-shaft-stuffing box looks different on the port side than the starbord side. ( note the amount of shaft visible )
That looks like a auxilliary hydraulic "get-home" propulsion unit.
Looks like a LOT of boat for the $$. Maybe it comes with a ton of liens or foreign flag complications for import.
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:32 AM   #7
Guru

City: Boston Area
Maybe.....but if you look closely you can see the same items in the tranny pic and main engine pic.

There's no mention of an auxilliary unit

The photos are pretty good about going back and forth between port and starbord for the mechanicals.....until you get to the outside of the hull where the shafts exit....Port side only, shown twice.
Benthic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:30 PM   #8
Guru

I don’t think there is a get-home system, but the hydraulics are blended if I recall correctly. Since it was a U.S. registered boat before, there would be no additional import fees, since they have been already paid once.

It did look like there were a few dock by feel bumps around the boat but that’s just my opinion. Unless someone stops the rust problems, it will, drop in price. There used to be no seating in the fly bridge so the current owner has added that too. It’s a shame to see it sit idle, knowing it will only get worse...
Old 05-23-2018, 04:18 PM   #9
Guru

If a guy with a grinder and a bit of experience with a welder bought the boat, he could fix the current problems fairly quickly. It needs to be ground out, dried out, rewelded where it needs it, and then painted thoroughly. It has sub-zero fridges and freezers, and even a wine fridge. I'm not sure about the recent work installing the solar, inverters and watermakers and if that needs further work. One image shows a block of plywood securing the watermaker?
Old 05-24-2018, 04:58 AM   #10
FF
Guru

Aren't all the B-R boats backyard builds?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:42 AM   #11
Guru

You can buy plans, or cut files, or even arrange for all the sheet materials precut and delivered. Some vendors even pre-prime the steel to prevent rust, using a weld-thru primer so you don't have to grind off the primer for a good weld.

Bruce Roberts does fiberglass, steel and aluminum designs, depending on what you want.

Conall (on TF) did one in his "barn" so he would be one to chime in...

This particular boat was built by Yacht Creations, Longhai China in 2006 and spent it's life in the Chesapeake until the current owner about 2-3 years ago.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:37 PM   #12
Guru

I deleted all the images I took of this boat from my phone (twice) and now they are back... I hope this isn't a bad omen! Starting the third deletion process!
Old 06-06-2018, 01:56 PM   #13
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
I deleted all the images I took of this boat from my phone (twice) and now they are back... I hope this isn't a bad omen! Starting the third deletion process!
I think your boat just found you. LOL
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:25 PM   #14

City: florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post

Sounds like they are restoring from back-up, make sure you delete those as well, if not you are obligated to buy this boat.
boatruptcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:08 PM   #15
Guru

I deleted them from icloud so hopefully they won't be coming back...