What about TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've tried to live by this sentiment since the 70's... not always being successful

If you raise an omnidirectional antenna on a pole it will work for local TV.

Lava HD8000 OmniPro Omni-Directional | Outdoor HDTV Antenna | Lava HD8000

If you want further stations a directional unit works better

kingconnect.com/product/king-jack-antenna/

The king has a signal meter so is easy to point.

For the budget folks out on the hook that do not want to power an antenna amplifier a home brew works almost as well.

Find a bike rim and cut out all the spokes, then cut the rim into 2 equal seni circles.

Space them apart with plastic and hook a 300>75 ohm converter on so you can feed the signal to your TV.

Raise it as high as you can on the boat.

Enjoy

After living and learning on a 36ft Grand banks for a week.
I liked it but I missed my 1 -2 hours of nightly TV, sports
Fox news, local news, Last man standing etc.

What do most of you experienced liveaboards do for TV?

For "Air TV"...

We didn't do anything special. The boat came to us with a pre-HD (pre-digital) omni-directional amplified VHF/UHF antenna.

We eventually changed out the old-style tube TV for a digital flat panel... but doing nothing more than that gets us 20 or so over-the-air stations, many HD. We're about 35-40 miles from most transmitters in the largest nearby markets (DC and Baltimore).

Most over-the-air "TV" antennas can't tell much difference between older analog and newer digital signals -- radio frequency is pretty much radio frequency, and most antennas pay much more attention to that than to the modulation or multiplexing scheme. (For example, our older pre-digital antenna also services the bridge music radio; no problem handling the newer extra digital "HD" stations...)

An amplified directional antenna might get a few more signals, in some situations... but then directional antennas that aren't easily re-aimable come with their own issues when you move the boat. It would be possible to have two -- selectable -- antenna feeds; one omni and one directional. Not worth that effort, in our case, but YMMV.

-Chris

First of all, there is no such thing as an "HD" antenna. Or a "digital" antenna. All the antenna does is pick up a signal and deliver it to the receiver. It does not know and does not care what information is in the signal.

That said, I installed a DC powered combination TV/DVD set. This means I don't have to run the inverter to watch TV. I installed a top of the line Glomex Omni directional amplified antenna. The amplifier has two inputs, one for the antenna and one for dockside cable. I also installed a cable inlet next to the shore power inlet for convenience. Many marinas provide cable TV.

Swinging on the hook or at a marina without cable TV service, I get anywhere from zero to 40 or 50 stations, depending on location. I should point out that when I get 50 stations, many are duplicates or other language stations.

BTW: When you raise the antenna on a pole, keep in mind that you're starting just a few feet above sea level so unless you have a sailboat it's still not going to be very high.

Last edited:
For all the folks who posted that they don't like or watch TV, that's fine, it's a personal choice but since the thread is about how to get TV reception on a boat, I have to wonder why you bothered to respond. :rolleyes:

As long as you have an internet connection, the Amazon Fire Stick plugs into the T.V. Problem solved. Works for me.

For all the folks who posted that they don't like or watch TV, that's fine, it's a personal choice but since the thread is about how to get TV reception on a boat, I have to wonder why you bothered to respond. :rolleyes:
Actually, the question is "What do most of you experienced liveaboards do for TV?"

To which a valid answer is "Don't watch".

As I am not an experienced liveaboard, I will refrain from replying. ?

Nothing like watching College Football while fishing.
Couldn't agree more! Programs I love to watch on my boat include the Masters, pro football, Gunsmoke & the news while taking an occasional break in the cockpit with a cold one. :blush:

Actually, the question is "What do most of you experienced liveaboards do for TV?"

To which a valid answer is "Don't watch".

As I am not an experienced liveaboard, I will refrain from replying. ��

I suppose, but then why would he have asked in the first place if he didn't want to watch TV?

+1

Our boat came with a KVH system. I have not yet bothered to see about getting service. My wife wants it however. So, my health and happiness are somewhat dependent upon getting it setup. Dish or Direct TV will be the options.

An amplified directional antenna might get a few more signals, in some situations... but then directional antennas that aren't easily re-aimable come with their own issues when you move the boat. It would be possible to have two -- selectable -- antenna feeds; one omni and one directional. Not worth that effort, in our case, but YMMV.

Hit send too early... I meant to add the whole selectable two antenna thing, at least for OTA programming, might be semi-nifty for a liveaboard situation... depending on local TV markets, etc.

-Chris

you use data but vzw (verizon wireless) now has unlimited data available cheap.

Yeah, but read the fine print on unlimited because it is not always unlimited. Once you use 22 GB, you can be throttled if the cell tower is busy. The fine print does not define busy or indicate how slow the connection will be when throttled. :banghead:

We might give the unlimited a try though.

Later,
Dan

P.S. Once it captures the signal, it never loses it...even in bumpy seas or changing course! It's really fantastic!

Some brands / models have a cable running the signal from the part of the dish that moves, connecting to the part of the dish that is stationary. With that setup, if you run your boat in circles, it will wrap the cable. The good news is that no harm will be done and the equipment is smart enough to spin the other direction to unwrap itself. As a practical matter, most of us won't go in circles often enough to ever encounter the problem. It tends to arise when circling an island, etc.

As for never losing a signal, that too depends on brand / model, but also on the stability of the boat. Although I have never lost a signal on my boat (I avoid weather), my buddy's 38' boat (which had KVH and now has Intellian) lost / looses it frequently in heavy seas.

Not all antenna systems are equally good at handling HDTV. I switched from KVH to Intellian for that reason.

We have a satellite unit but found that being on a boat for six weeks was a good excurse to go cold turkey and do without what is mostly junk on the screen. We carry E-readers loaded with much higher quality stuff. I discontinued our satellite subscription. What a relief it is to have six weeks of beautiful PNW scenery and serenity without the endless news of what's wrong with the world.

Wes! Relax buddy, you'll do yourself an injury then you won't be able to go boating! Opinions are like belly buttons, we all have them and we all like to prognosticate. I'm surprised we haven't brought in anchors yet. In fact, I get a pretty good tv signal using my new 30 kg Trefoil 316 Bruce clone with 100' of 5/16th high-test to bring in those groovy Icelandic shows with the subtitles...nay, nay, nay.

Wes! Relax buddy, you'll do yourself an injury then you won't be able to go boating! Opinions are like belly buttons, we all have them and we all like to prognosticate. I'm surprised we haven't brought in anchors yet. In fact, I get a pretty good tv signal using my new 30 kg Trefoil 316 Bruce clone with 100' of 5/16th high-test to bring in those groovy Icelandic shows with the subtitles...nay, nay, nay.
Must be the extra grounding. :)

I use the Dish Tailgater >$400.00 with good service at a dock and a VERY calm anchorage.

Couldn't agree more! Programs I love to watch on my boat include the Masters, pro football, Gunsmoke & the news while taking an occasional break in the cockpit with a cold one. :blush:

Almost like fishing is just an excuse to go boating and watching sports. :)

Not to stray to far but is their an internet option through satellite. I love the sat tv but my wife loves her internet almost as much as I do. Gotta have my TF...

Frankly I can't understand how anyone would be negative about having a TV aboard. To me it is an important source for news, weather, the stock markets and entertainment. In fact, my TVs have an amazing invention called an on/off switch. If I want to go "cold turkey" I switch it off.

A few years ago went buddy-boating with a friend with a TV on boat. We docked at the Petaluma turning basin (northern SF Bay Area), but his TV antennae could only receive Spanish-speaking stations. Thankfully, a disc-recorded movie saved the evening's entertainment.

We have KVH and Direct and wouldn't want to be without it. We do like to keep current and we love sports. Then we also like total nonsense television and freely admit it.

Someone asked about internet and yes there are similar options but far more expensive to purchase and to operate and speeds not like you have at home. Not a reasonable alternative to tv when at sea. An alternative though if you're at a marina with good WiFi.

Personally I prefer to have have a glass of cognac on the upper deck at night while listening to frogs, birds, and all the nature songs while at anchor but it is my personnal preference and I am not judging anyone, especially that I am not living aboard permanently.
What is funny is that I have TV aboard with over the air antenna and get more channels while at anchor than at the marina, don't know why :)

We have KVH and Direct and wouldn't want to be without it. We do like to keep current and we love sports. Then we also like total nonsense television and freely admit it.

Someone asked about internet and yes there are similar options but far more expensive to purchase and to operate and speeds not like you have at home. Not a reasonable alternative to tv when at sea. An alternative though if you're at a marina with good WiFi.

Yes, KVH is now offering a content service for satellite internet customers. They download content to a DVR style box on your boat daily, and do not charge you per MB for those downloads.

Personally, I was not impressed with the cost for what you got.

As you indicated when in cellular range you can stream anything you like for a much lower cost.

Back
Top Bottom