Old 01-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #21
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
If so, I'm mighty happy with my sea strainer.

Mark, that looks like a sea chest. It is a great way to get the intakes where they can be serviced from inside the boat. Does this one have a strainer integrated into it, or are the strainers down stream of the sea cocks?
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #22
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
K Sanders said:

"You might consider moving that strainer.On my boat the sea strainers are all mounted so that the top of them is above the water line.

Actually all the boats I've owned were like that. The strainer top has always been above the waterline. Is that a "standard", or is it just my boats."

Why is it a problem to have strainers below the WL? All 4 or mine are below the WL (on a sea chest) as well as engines and genset RW pumps. You have no choice but to have strainers below the WL on boats with deep draft. Working valves make it safe IMHO.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post

On my boat the sea strainers are all mounted so that the top of them is above the water line.

Actually all the boats I've owned were like that. The strainer top has always been above the waterline.

Is that a "standard", or is it just my boats?
Our boat did not have sea strainers when we bought it. We had them installed as soon as the boat came off the truck. Both of them were installed vertically with the tops just above the waterline.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #24
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
You might consider moving that strainer.

On my boat the sea strainers are all mounted so that the top of them is above the water line.

Actually all the boats I've owned were like that. The strainer top has always been above the waterline.

Is that a "standard", or is it just my boats?
I intend to. I don't like it where it is anyway, I'm paranoid I'm going to slip and step on it when I'm getting down there to check things. This summer I'm hauling the boat and will be upgrading several systems including the sea strainer. Thanks.
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #25
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
The hose on that thing is pretty scary. Would not want to be tied up next to whatever that gear is on during a freeze.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #26

Seems like a sideways strainer would make a mess every time you went to clean it out. Mine are all vertical and all below the water line. I'd have to raise them all two feet to get them above.

Dave
Old 01-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #27
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Why is it a problem to have strainers below the WL?
I don't know that it's actually a problem. It's just more of a convenience, I think, in that if you remove the top of the sea strainer with the raw water seacock still open the water won't overflow the sea strainer if the top of the "bowl" is a bit above the waterline.

Now we were taught by the experienced GB broker and charter fleet operator who found our boat for us and helped me run it north from Tacoma after its truck ride from California to never do that, but to always close the raw water intake seacock before doing any sort of work on an engine's raw water system.

But others might prefer to service their sea strainers without closing its associated seacock. So not having them overflow would be an advantage.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #28
Scraping Paint

bfloyd--- What kind of boat was the "thing" in your photo in, and what was the rest of its condition?
Old 01-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #29
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Hey Mark,

Is that a sea strainer or some form of sea chest?

OOPs someone already commented on it.

SD
Old 01-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #30
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
That "thing" in post#1 is supposed to look something like this 3/4" Perko which feeds seawater to my a/c's. The strainer is mounted slightly below the water line so that it self-primes and vertically so it can be cleaned without pushing a slug of air into the pump which then becomes a PITA to burp.
Attached Thumbnails
Perko.jpg  
Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #31
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Someone just received the honor of being first on my ignore list.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #32
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Mark, that looks like a sea chest. It is a great way to get the intakes where they can be serviced from inside the boat. Does this one have a strainer integrated into it, or are the strainers down stream of the sea cocks?
The top of the strainer is visible through the window. There is also a grill on the hull intake.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #33
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
If that is of the boat you are considering,and you still are, (does it really warrant survey?), prioritize hull survey.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #34
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
How does above the waterline have anything to do with overflowing with the top off? Don't you close the seacock when you open it anyway? I am really not understanding at all the need to EVER have it up high.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #35
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
At first glance it looks to be a horizontally-mounted sea strainer of the type commonly used on an engine's raw water intake. Unless your photo is rotated 90 degrees, I'm surprised to see one of these --- if that's what it is--- mounted sideways.

Normally they are mounted vertically so the top can be removed to pull out and clean the strainer that is inside. That way the water in the filter body doesn't spill out into the bilge.

The typical construction of these filters--- one of the better manufacturers being Groco which is the type we have--- has bronze ends with a heavy glass body. Four (usually) bronze rods run the length of the filter body and serve to clamp the end caps and the glass body together.

There is a bronze lid or cap on the top that can be removed, on ours with a big central wing nut, to give access to the filter element inside. The metal filter element, usually a long stainless steel "basket," is mounted inside and can be lifted out for routine cleaning.

The filter is intended to capture sand, mud, weed, etc that might find its way up through the intake through-hull and prevent it from getting to the raw water pump on the engine where it could clog the impeller chamber or even damage or break the impeller.
Thanks Marin. I think you may be right. It is mounted just like in the photo on a curved part of the hull forward of the engine and with the long side sideway, not up and down like you describe.

All the corrosion indicates to me its ready to be replaced anyway, is that correct?
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Whoa.

Run away from that boat.
really, i love that boat. But you may be right. Maybe i should suck in my belly and keep looking. Thanks much for your comment it is very much appreciated
Old 01-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoungbl View Post
It's a sea strainer in really bad shape. I think the photo is on its side, as noted by someone else. I also agree, stay away from this boat, if you are looking to buy.
not on its side thats what kinda threw me for a loop.
Thanks
Old 01-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
At first, I thought it was a sea strainer. Then I rotated the picture 180 degrees and noticed the 2 wires. 12V or bonding wires? Could it be that the pic is upside down and is a very poorly mounted and maintained raw water pump?
opps, after reading the first couple of comments i forgot about the wires. Thgis thing when i saw it yelled at me BEWARE THERE ARE PROBLEMS HERE. No it is some kind of welectrical device not just a strainer
And thank you for your observation
Old 01-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoss View Post
Has to be a raw water strainer. Bfloyd, if you're seeking input on this stuff about a boat you're looking at, I would imagine there are HUNDREDS of other issues with the boat. Do you have a surveyor, or anyone else looking at the boat with you that's knowledgeable enough to answer these questions?

hmm.. recalling another post I saw tonight about "Titles" , Bfloyd, you're a Guru in a few months on the site, and I am only a Senior Member after 5 years. I guess I need to get busy posting more stuff....
... I tend to talk alot cause i learned as a kid that the only dumb question is one that dosent get asked. And my friend, let me tell you this forum has some of the finest trawler minds in the world as members and i Will personnally defend any of em agaisnt all detractors. Shoot, i will even defend the ones at this forum i butt heads with. I mean they do have issues, but, in my opinion they are still the best.

Ok, but a raw water strainer with electricity?

I have lots of boat experiance and first glance at this thing threw me for a loop.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
No it appears to be a Perko Fig. 493 strainer. I relatively pricey strainer at that. However it is needing a little maintenance currently. Along with everything else in the picture.

Is this boat abandoned?
no, as a matter of fact the boat left port sunday for a cruise to Santa Catalina island off the coast of california. As someone else pointed out she has to cross some of the busiest shipping lanes in the world.
oh, and she did make it back to port thursday