Old 12-07-2018, 06:28 PM   #1

City: St James City/Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Charlie Noble
Vessel Model: 32 Nordic Tug
What 5 year plan?

When I first joined this forum I stated that my wife and I were on a 5 year plan to look at and eventually buy a retirement boat to travel around Florida and to do the Great Loop. So the search was on to find the right boat with the right layout. Well we looked at four boats total in person. The first one was a 26' 1983 Nordic Tug, and we liked it, but the wife really wanted a separate shower which the 26 does not have and they are a little too narrow for us. The second boat was a 30' Sundowner. A very nice boat, but the owner had installed a small generator under the settee in the salon. It was loud and it vibrated the whole boat. Next was a 2001 32' Nordic Tug in Connecticut. A very beautiful boat, but out of our price range. Knowing that we were probably needing to look at boats that need some TLC to keep it in our price range we looked at another 32 Nordic Tug at the same Marina in Connecticut as the 2001. We liked her, she has good bones and low hours. She has a salon that is a little bare of cabinetry and no settee so we can build what we want to make it comfortable for us. There is a 4 kw gen that runs quiet and everything electronic at the helm works. The main engine is a little over sized, buts runs sweet and is quieter than I would have ever imagined. She has radar, gps, fire suppression system, auto pilot, and a bow thruster. She needs a lot of cleaning and a lot of polishing. All the wood, and an older Nordic Tug has a lot of wood, needs to be re-finished. She has a couple of rain water leaks. But nothing we can't handle.
So we are still 4.5 years out for retirement, at least, but we decided lets make an offer, they probably won't take it but if they do we have 4.5 years to fix her up. We made the offer, they countered, we stayed at our original offer. a couple of months went by. I saw on the web site that they dropped the price a couple of times. We re-sent our original offer to the Broker with the usual stipulations, survey, sea trial Blah Blah Blah. All the while figuring they won't take it.

They took it. With one stipulation, they will do no repairs after the survey. Sold as is.

So next step, we found a Surveyor with knowledge of Nordics. He did the survey, all was just as we thought. No problems we didn't already know. No major issues just needs some loving care. We had already talked to the bank, no problem there.
So after a several phone calls and some snail mailings we are now the proud owners of a 1986 32' Nordic Tug.
The next step... Getting her to Southwest Florida from Connecticut.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:42 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Congrats. Now you have something to fill all your empty hours.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:00 PM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. CR. 5 year plan? Ya right!

Well, why the heck not? Congratulations.

CT to FL? No problem. Out of the harbor and turn right. The only things you will need are tow insurance and a credit card. How hard can it be?
Old 12-07-2018, 07:02 PM   #4
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Congrats.

Why SW Florida?
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:06 PM   #5
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Overall, you make an excellent choice, especially compared to the others you looked at. The Sundancer (great boat) would be quite expensive for gas on the loop, but I love the dancers I've owned.

You have the time to make sure everything is as expected and if everything works you have it made. Be prepared to upgrade or replace things that are marginal. You don't want issues that drive you nuts on the loop. You have plenty of time, but make your upgrades and modification early in case things don't work out like you want.

Regarding electronics... be SURE they work up to your expectations. And if they are really old, consider getting some new stuff. Especially chart plotter, depth, VHF and autopilot. You will be happy those things work and are not marginal.

Sounds like you have a great start. Keep us posted.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Congrats.

Why SW Florida?
That is where we live.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:19 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine R View Post
That is where we live.
Ahhh, and you bought a boat in CT. She must have really hit the mark!
Old 12-07-2018, 07:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Overall, you make an excellent choice, especially compared to the others you looked at. The Sundancer (great boat) would be quite expensive for gas on the loop, but I love the dancers I've owned.

You have the time to make sure everything is as expected and if everything works you have it made. Be prepared to upgrade or replace things that are marginal. You don't want issues that drive you nuts on the loop. You have plenty of time, but make your upgrades and modification early in case things don't work out like you want.

Regarding electronics... be SURE they work up to your expectations. And if they are really old, consider getting some new stuff. Especially chart plotter, depth, VHF and autopilot. You will be happy those things work and are not marginal.

Sounds like you have a great start. Keep us posted.
Thanks for the advice , SeeVee, I have been drooling at the electronics catalogs already.
The second boat we looked at was a Sundowner not a Sundancer.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Ahhh, and you bought a boat in CT. She must have really hit the mark!
Not only that but there isn't that many Nordic Tugs or tug style boats in Florida for sale.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:05 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sandusky Bay
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: Mariner 37
Hmmm, we are about 5 years out too. Nowhere near buying a boat though. Congrats.
HeadedToTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:08 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Not only that but there isn't that many Nordic Tugs or tug style boats in Florida for sale.
If we are around and you need on board navigational help through our area - say St Simon's through Daytona, let us know.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedToTexas View Post
Hmmm, we are about 5 years out too. Nowhere near buying a boat though. Congrats.
That is exactly what we thought.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:19 PM   #13

Quote:
If we are around and you need on board navigational help through our area - say St Simon's through Daytona, let us know.
We will definitely keep that in mind.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:20 PM   #14
Guru

City: Sandusky Bay
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: Mariner 37
Hehe!
HeadedToTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:27 PM   #15
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: So, you should be completing your 10 year plan in 2019. My goodness, by 2020 you'll already be to 2032 or something like that. You're like hamsters on those wheels.

You did good I think. You had an idea, a chance showed up and you didn't say the plan said no, I can't do it cause I have a plan, instead you jumped on it.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:59 PM   #16
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Congratulations, now you have 4.5 years to break it and learn how to repair it

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:30 AM   #17
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
I had a 5 year plan to live on my boat. 20+ years later I am still living on my boat. Must of made that plan on February 29th.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:58 AM   #18
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Hi

Congratulations to the new tug owners

NT is definitely a good choice to implement your plan, all the good you and the enthusiasm to do cleaning and maintenance with love!

NBs
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Congratulations, now you have 4.5 years to break it and learn how to repair it

L
I'm hoping I won't have to learn how to repair too many things while trying to bring it home to Florida this spring.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:40 AM   #20

City: Wrightsville Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Time & Tide
Vessel Model: 2005 34T Mainship
Quote:
I'm hoping I won't have to learn how to repair too many things while trying to bring it home to Florida this spring.

Todd R is offline   Reply With Quote