We've been framed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChristineKling

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Möbius
Vessel Make
XPM 78-01
IMG_20180608_165400.jpg

It is amazing how fast things move at this stage of a new build in aluminum thanks to modern CNC methods and the talented team here at GreeNaval Yachts in Turkey. As you can see they are building the hull upside down, and now you can start to see where the prop tunnel is at the aft end here and the round hole where our big shaft will enter the hull. The box-like structure at the bottom right of the photo is a flammable materials locker accessed from the swim step aft. For more photos and videos, check out the blog. https://mobius.world/weve-been-framed/

Very interesting! Keep them coming!

Surprised to see an 80 footer recreational boat with a single engine.

I see from the article that Wayne is there representing you and doing the write ups. How is that working out?

Last edited:
Thank You for sharing.

That's kind of our joke. We are both living here in Turkey, but when we signed the contract for the boat, there had to be a designated owner's representative, so we designated my husband as my representative. It's a cool deal because the owner's representative gets an office at the yard, and I get to send him off to work every day.:) I write books for a living, so I stay home and try to keep us in groceries. Thankfully, they're pretty cheap here in Turkey!

And as for the single engine, Wayne intends to write a post about that choice one of these days. Previously when we were cruising on our sailboat, we spent quite a long time in the Marshall Islands, home to a good part of the Pacific tuna fleet. We had an aha moment sitting there looking at all those fish boats anchored out there and realized they are all single engine boats. Of course we're not saying it's for everyone, but we think it's what will work best for us.

Greetings,
Ms. CK. Thank you. Holy Smoke! Look at all those bits and pieces.

Not to pick nits but if you were looking at the tuna fleet wouldn't your "aha" moment be an "ahi" moment?...Just sayin'

200w.gif

RT, forgive her it was a typo.

Well, I guess in this context it's good to "be framed"! Congrats!

IMG_20180608_165400.jpg

It is amazing how fast things move at this stage of a new build in aluminum thanks to modern CNC methods and the talented team here at GreeNaval Yachts in Turkey. As you can see they are building the hull upside down, and now you can start to see where the prop tunnel is at the aft end here and the round hole where our big shaft will enter the hull. The box-like structure at the bottom right of the photo is a flammable materials locker accessed from the swim step aft. For more photos and videos, check out the blog. https://mobius.world/weve-been-framed/
NO THATS COOL! The future looks good.

Surprised to see an 80 footer recreational boat with a single engine. ...

Not for ships with direct drive. Thruster(s) would be handy, however.

Not for ships with direct drive. Thruster(s) would be handy, however.

Yes, we will have a bow thruster. As we did on our last boat, 52-foot steel motorsailer. And at just under 24 meters, the new boat will be about 78 feet. We've designed the oversized rudder to turn to 45 degrees and between that and the bow thruster, I reckon we'll learn to handle her.

What a fun project. A metal boat, a single electronic Tier 3/4 engine, redundancy and lightning may open the door for debating a small diesel get home. Dashew’s popular FPB 64 line went through similar thinking, with a get home retrofitted on early models and standard thereafter.

What engine has been selected?

What a fun project. A metal boat, a single electronic Tier 3/4 engine, redundancy and lightning may open the door for debating a small diesel get home. Dashew’s popular FPB 64 line went through similar thinking, with a get home retrofitted on early models and standard thereafter.

What engine has been selected?

It is indeed great fun Sunchaser and thanks for your interest and questions.

We decided to go very "old school" with our single main engine and will be installing a Gardner 6LXB once the hull is done. As Christine mentioned above I will be posting more in depth articles on this in the near future on our Mobius.World blog and in the interim if you’re curious you can read some of what’s behind this decision in my post last month “Mr. Geeeeeeee is in the House!”

The wording in your question is part of what led us to this decision: Tier 3 / 4 and lightning. We had indeed been looking at a Tier 3/4 engine, most likely a JD6068 but several hours into an in depth meetings with the JD folks they informed us that there are several key parts which they are not permitted to sell us in advance for spares and this includes the ECU!

Apparently the only way allowed is to send them the failed unit and they take the log data out of it, reprogram the new one to pick up where the old one left off and send it to us. A perfectly workable situation for most people perhaps but not us. What do we do when lightning strikes, literally or figuratively??

We purposely spend most of our time in the most remote locations around the word we can find and they are usually hundreds if not thousands of miles away from most civilisations so having parts sent in and out is just not workable for us. The other characteristic of the modern engines, Tier 4 in particular is the added need to burn DEF along with the diesel. Given our very large fuel capacity (14k litres) we would had to add a DEF tank or two which was doable but we have no confidence that we’d be able to find DEF in the many parts of the world we cruise in. So for us and our certainly unique use case, a new diesel engine is not a good fit whereas the Gardner fits us like a glove.

I will also post more in the future on our decision to go with a single engine setup and no wing engine but short story is that we feel most comfortable going with a single main engine with a very low probability of failing us and if/when it does that I can fix it and get us going again without any outside parts or help. We have done the same on all our previous boats and we carry a very full compliment of spare parts and a particularly well equipped set of tools and machines in the workshop. This combination has worked well for us for over 100k nautical miles so far and we think we are upping our game in terms of reliability with the Gardner and with an even more well equipped set of tools and machine shop onboard.

I’m currently restoring the Gardner to factory new condition as pretty much all parts other than the major castings and crankshaft are still being made and we have every one of them on hand already. I will cover this restoration and installation further on the Mobius.World blog so you can follow along there as you wish.

Wing engines don’t make sense to us in a new build as you would go with twins instead. But after a LOT of consideration of ALL the propulsion possibilities we kept coming back to a super reliable and well maintained single engine as the best choice for us. We appreciate that this is not what most others would chose but this isn’t their boat and we’re going with what is just right for us.

Still ticking

Our 45' custom aluminum trawler looks like it just came out of the welding shop... but it came out in 1970! Expect over 50 years of fun!

Our 45' custom aluminum trawler looks like it just came out of the welding shop... but it came out in 1970! Expect over 50 years of fun!

Great to hear and congrats to you and your boat. I think that leaving AL "raw" wherever possible is the key to avoiding any corrosion issues and letting the natural chemistry with oxidizing AL look after itself. Certainly a fabulous material to work with as well and we are indeed looking forward to a very long life for both ourselves and our new boat. Thanks for the vote of confidence!
-Wayne

Most people don’t realize that DEF has a shelf life of less than one year.
That's what I read as well and there sure doesn't seem to be much to like about DEF and we are happier every day with our decision to go old school with our main engine. For our use case this just makes the most sense.

Interesting engine choice! What is the estimated fuel burn at 10 plus knots with the Gardner?

Wow! Love hearing stories like this and would love pictures even more!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom