Old 04-17-2016, 11:23 AM   #81
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
It seems about half the problems on marine engines come from sea water pumps, wet exhaust reversion and corrosion, sea water leaks on coolers, and things corroding where sea water contacts engine stuff.
Ski

Two things. First, a trip into a Nordhavn ER with dry stack (not all are) finds several places where sea water is used for cooling. Not to mention very large exhaust fans to keep ER cool.

Second, you built your own boat. Why not dry stack?

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:31 AM   #82
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Ski

Two things. First, a trip into a Nordhavn ER with dry stack (not all are) finds several places where sea water is used for cooling. Not to mention very large exhaust fans to keep ER cool.

Second, you built your own boat. Why not dry stack?
For the reasons you edited out of my quoted post.

Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:52 AM   #83
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Depends on the manifold shape. Some are very hard to wrap, some easy. Fabricated sheet metal shaped to fit is another way, blocks the radiative heat transfer. Look at how the QSM11 dry manifold/turbo is insulated.
I have sort of been interested in the International 466.
Here is an exhaust manifold for it.
Thoughts about if it was wrapped, it seems fairly simple?
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:17 PM   #84
Guru

That one should be pretty easy to wrap. Then get a blanket made for the turbo scroll, those are truly hard to wrap due to the shape.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:00 AM   #85
FF
Guru

Wet exhaust Intl 466 manifolds can be had from Mesa Marine , but the cost more than one would pay for the engine.

These can be plumbed to the keel cooler with the engine circ water.

A wrap is as good at keeping the engine room temps down ,the thick pro built the best!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:32 AM   #86
Veteran Member

City: Echo Bay
Vessel Name: The Lady "K"
Vessel Model: Custom Steel Trawler 48'
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensibs View Post
Conall, thanks for replying about the manifolds. Could I bother you to send me some pictures of your set up? I also want this loop to feed a red dot bus heater to defrost my pilot house windows so it's getting complicated in my mind. Lol
My email is sjemery at gmail dot com.

Hi Conall

I am also interested in seeing your system in pictures, and would
certainly appreciate an email from you. Currently developing an
entirely new heating/cooling system for my boat.

Thank you kindly
Capt Nemo
northchannel@msn.com
Capt Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:42 AM   #87

City: Cape Coral, Florida
Vessel Name: Gra Go Deo
Vessel Model: Roberts TY 43
I sent you some pics Nemo.

My engine is a Deere marine engine with a coolant header tank and no external exhaust manifold as one would find on a non marine industrial engine. The engine is turbo charged.

I wrapped the exhaust with two inch thick ceramic insulation and wrapped the ceramic insulation in a fiberglass welding blanket to contain the ceramic. It looks pretty home made, but works well as you can wrap your arms around the exhaust when the engine is running. The turbo is wrapped with a custom blanket. The exhaust silencer whic in the engine room, is also wrapped, and is of the dump truck variety. All the exhaust piping in the stack itself is not wrapped and is cooled by air being forced up the funnel.

I did not wrap the exhaust pipe in the funnel on purpose as to get some heat out of the pipe so it does not damage paint as it exits the funnel on top of the boat. The funnel is obviously steel, and with it being insulated, it deals with radiant heat well. This aspect of my design seems to be working well as no paint is getting damaged and the exhaust pipe is relatively cool by the time it exits the funnel. The key here is the amount of cooling air flooding up the exhaust side of the stack from the funnel being partitioned and the ER being pressurized. The ER door has to be closed.

My exhaust funnel is about 2' x 2', and has a partition in the center of it. One side of the partition is intake air, and the other side if for the exhaust pipe and engine room hot air exhaust. The exhaust side of the funnel has high performance heat shielding lining the walls. I created a partition in the funnel as to not allow intake or exhaust air to short circuit and mix.

The ER is pretty air tight, and when the door is closed, I consider it pressurized. Intake air is provided by a quality axial fan I purchased from Delta T, and so far, that fan has done an amazing job. I do keep a spare fan on board.

I have a thermometer in the ER to keep an eye on the temperature, and do monitor it closely. On an 85 degree day after running the engine around 1600-1700 I'll see ER temps around 111 degrees Fahrenheit after about 6 hours of running. It seems to take the better part of the day for temperatures to climb over 110. The highest temperature I've seen was 115, and that was after an extended run at 2200 RPM while dealing with current on the Cumberland River. The ER temps seems to get to 103 fairly quickly, and then start a slow climb to top out at, like I said, around 111.

The engine is a Deere 6068TFM. I specified the engine to have 190 degree thermostats in it as I feel diesels need to be run on the warm side. Any temperatures under 205 but above 180 is fine with me. I'm happy with the ER temps I'm seeing given the mass of the main engine and generator, but I'd be interested in what kind of ER temps others see with similar set ups.

Conall
Conall63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:45 AM   #88
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Not the best pic , but how does this look ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	50931  
Old 04-19-2016, 10:52 AM   #89
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. PM. Looks better than a LOT I've seen.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:19 PM   #90
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
I'm out on wrapping an exhaust manifold and turbo, if there is any other alternative. Personally, I would select an engine that has available, at a decent price, and not custom built, jacket water cooled exhaust manifold and turbo. (Cummins ?) Why would anyone do otherwise, I dont get it. Its safer, and why would you want to save a few bucks in that area anyway. Almost everything else costs more $$$ than the exhaust. Dont get me wrong, I do like dry exhaust, just not dry manifold/turbos. I know, some will say "just as good" but to me that means almost as good or not as good, depending on who did it and how. That 6/71 in the pic has a jacket water cooled manifold.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:04 PM   #91
Guru

Agreed. Given a choice, much rather have wet manifold and turbo, even with dry exhaust stack.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:40 AM   #92
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
My main engine's coolant flows through the exhaust manifold and turbo. Underway both read the same temp as the coolant within 10 deg or so, with the turbo being the hottest. Neither are wrapped. Insulation wrap starts at the turbo exhaust elbow and covers the entire exhaust all the way up the stack.