Old 03-28-2017, 08:50 AM   #1

City: Brentwood
Vessel Name: Miss Rita
Vessel Model: 2004 Heritage East
Angry Westerbeke 8Kw fuel bleeding

I rebuilt a Westerbeke 8Kw generator. It's really a Mitsubishi KD3. Rebuilt injectors and injector pump,rings bearings, starter, alternator. Can't get it to start. I took off pump and brought it back to the rebuild shop, and he said “their a bitch to bleed.” So I put it back together and bleed it over and over. Also w-40 , not a pop. I am fighting a deadline and will replace the generator if I can't get it started tomorrow . I have bled my Perkins and got it started, I tried to find a Utube showing how much fuel should come out. Help! going to boat today for a few days, don't want to pull that engine,but I need to leave in late May.
SteveandZoila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:25 AM   #2
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Take cover off the side of the block right under the injection pump. Make sure the rack moves back and forth when moving the speed control lever. Four 10mm head screws on cover. Easy to get that linkage goofed up or have a problem in governor.

Bleed by jumping 12v to elec pump. Then crank with injector line nuts loose at injectors. Snug up when they start spitting.

Not at all a bitch to bleed. One of the easiest.

Glow plugs working? Any fuel vapor out exhaust? No vapor means no fuel.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:31 AM   #3
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Not sure what may be different, my 8bdt or whatever is self bleeding.

Manual says so and when I redid my fuel system, it did bleed itself.

Manual available?

They are real sensor sensitive to shutting themselves down could it be something keeping it from self priming?

Plus there is a tech order to add additional voltage to the fuel solenoid because of low vote issues...at least some models.

Sorry, my genny hasn't had much attention by me yet, so I don't have a lot of info on it in memory yet.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:35 AM   #4

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Adios Dinero
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988 2 x 330 Cummins
Make sure the fuel solenoid is pulling down and holding to turn the fuel on. The electric fuel pump should do the rest. If not, attach a wire to the solenoid linkage and manually pull it down to the on position and you may have to secure the wire to hold it down. Without the solenoid being "on" no amount of pumping by the electric fuel pump will pass fuel.
When you hit the preheat button you should hear it "clunk" followed by the "clicks" of the fuel pump.
The Other Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:20 PM   #5

Thanks

Got to the boat, will start on Gen in morning. Glow plugs tested hot, when I had the pump at shop, owner slid the rod back an forth, and stated; its good. I did put the gov? connection on and the little wire clip. OK, I will wire the plunger open.Question,- is kill switch up or down? did I miss anything?
Old 03-28-2017, 09:18 PM   #6
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
do a compression test. Mine is doing the same. Bled, bled, and bled but still wont run. compression came out 275 for all 3 cyls. Spec is ~425 psi.
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:59 PM   #7
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Diesels don't start for two basic reasons, no fuel and low compression. The most common reason for an engine with good compression is the stop solenoid. Having the injector nuts loose, you should get uniform spurts of fuel. If not, injector pump is probably in the stop mode or there is lots of air in the fuel line/pump not bled.
Heat helps with an engine sitting for a long time in cool weather. Hair dryer to the intake, heat lamp on the engine block, best is a block heater. Also if the engine is turning too slowly, compression air has time to escape past the rings. Air pressure has to bring the temp above diesels' ignition temp.
If you have zero firing it's probably fuel.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:32 PM   #8

Still trying

High wire, what did you do when you found low compression. I put in new rings but compression is low, but hope they can be seated. Going try oil next.
Lepke, Not sure what is open with fuel spot, it's not working with switch, will solve later. But is fuel cut off with plunger in or out? I did wire it in and had small amount of fuel drip from cracked fuel line at injector. Not even a pop. I did put WD40 last visit with no results. Going back to boat now, no internet on boat. Will check back in a few hours. Thanks Steve
Old 03-29-2017, 01:51 PM   #9
Guru

Dont know why other than compression numbers were below "rebuild required" spec in the manual for all three cyls. Im not going to waste any more money on this 30 YO POS that has other issues. It ran fine last May when I laid it up for last summer. Come November, wont fire. Plenty of fuel. Starter tested good. Been using a Honda EU2000i this season.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
Old 03-29-2017, 04:46 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveandZoila View Post
.... But is fuel cut off with plunger in or out?...
Is this the solenoid? On my Onan solenoid cut off is with the plunger out, ie not pulled across. Is yours pulling across when you hit the starter? It should, and it should hold there. If not, you should be able to pull it across manually, hold it across, see if it starts.
The above is based on my Kubota powered Onan so may have no application to your Mitsubishi. Or it might. Fuel solenoids are a source of trouble.
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:28 PM   #11
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Fuel solenoid on 8BTD energizes and pulls in for run, de energizes and releases plunger for stop. Should pull in when preheat switch is engaged. Top of speed control lever moves toward injection pump for run.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:58 PM   #12

City: Wherever the boat is
Vessel Name: Kismet
My 8btd requires at least two solid minutes of jumping the fuel pump to bleed after a filter change. I don't use the preheat switch for this as glow plugs don't need that kind of abuse.

Kill.switch can be either orientation iirc open=kill
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:40 AM   #13

Generator FIXED!!!!!

Just got back from boat, now have internet! I got my engine started for the 1st time since I rebuilt it. I reread the starting procedure, and your postings, the preheat must be held on for 20-30 secs before stating and continue to hold down when cranking. And not released until oil pressure rises. I found my cut off not energizing, then found the new solenoid not working. Then I checked the glow plugs and they were not working. I realized I had tested before on a battery not in the actual circuit!! I replaced the solenoid and did something I don't usually do , I read the instructions! I think it was on up side down and I replaced wires according to picture. Tested glow plugs, HOT. Put together, sweet firing, then full running. I had wired partly open on my fuel solenoid, its know working yet. I will trouble shoot the next and attach power leads and go for full test. Everybody who responded, thank you. High Wire, I hope you get some ideas how to tackle you generator.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:36 AM   #14

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Adios Dinero
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988 2 x 330 Cummins
When I first got my boat the genny fuel solenoid linkage was so corroded it would not pull down so I put a wire pull down on it for starting. Once started it would hold open and ran well. They are tough engines and good for thousands of hours with proper maintenance.
The Other Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:06 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveandZoila View Post
High Wire, I hope you get some ideas how to tackle you generator.
Using your inspiration I went back and gave it the third "final " try. No joy. I'm done with it.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ