Westcoast Haida Gwaii (WCHG)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yikes! 65 knots is some kinda craziness!!

Here's the forecast for the top end of 60 mile long Douglas Channel where I live;

"Wind northeasterly outflow 10 to 20 knots becoming southwesterly inflow 10 to 20 this afternoon then becoming northeasterly outflow 15 to 25 this evening. Wind becoming southwesterly inflow 20 to 30 Friday afternoon."

Talk about a mixed bag...sure wouldn't want to be either on the outside, or where those two systems butt up against each other :eek:

Last edited:
Up in that area there's places where the wind can be double what it is where you are just a short distance away.

When we were living in Thorne Bay (on the east side of POW Is) sombody here on the forum sent me a PM asking me if I was alright. On the Internet he noticed it was blowing 80 knots at Linclon Rock ... not that far away from Thorne Bay out in Clarence Strait. We were just fine in Thorne Bay where the wind was 40 w gusts to 50. A windy day to be sure but not alarming at all for winter weather in SE. And if you listen to the marine weather report there in the winter 30' seas and 80mph winds on the outer coast happen quite often. Check the marine weather at Cape Muzon from time to time .. or in the Queen Charolette Is Cape Knox (Langara Is) all in the far west end of Dixion Entrance.

There's only one city on the outer coast .. Sitka. Never heard of any bad storms there but I've never followed the weather there either.

Last edited:
Eric, You are correct, Sitka is very well protected. Sea can be over 20 feet outside but almost nothing in the harbor. Very unusual forecast Friday for Sitka, winds 60k with guts to 80k. Harbors were very busy today with folks adding lines to their boats.

The saga continues...still 65 knot winds in Hecate Strait, and 9 meter seas. Calling for 35 knots inflow at my end of things tonight. Giddyup!

Looks pretty wild up north, be safe and take care of Badger.......:thumb:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-10-09 at 3.36.09 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2015-10-09 at 3.36.09 PM.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 78
Looks pretty wild up north, be safe and take care of Badger.......:thumb:

You bet...heading down there right now to snug things up. Going to get bouncy because our breakwater keeps breaking!

...and the saga continues...

50 to 60 on Hecate Strait and 30 at the top end of Douglas Channel into tomorrow. Makes me wonder what November, December, January & February is going to be like. Quite the start to the season!

30 with gusts of 40 down at the boat. Good book reading weather.

Was blowing 80 knots at Sartine.

I love the windy falls here.

30 with gusts of 40 down at the boat. Good book reading weather.

Was blowing 80 knots at Sartine.

I love the windy falls here.

Yikes!

Love wild weather as well. Never boated, or more accurately, anchored in it though. Been storm bound by hurricane force systems while sea kayaking which is a completely different experience because you're safely hauled ashore. Storm anchor on the must purchase list before any winter cruising is attempted...

In January, 1979, I was in a storm in QC Sound, SW of Calvert Island. The vessel was the 135' dragger, Arctic Harvester. It took us 24 hrs to do the 30 miles between Cape Calvert and Nahwitti Bar. Real nasty! We crossed "The Bar" and it was like someone flicked a switch and turned off the storm. One of those memories I will never forget.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

This storm, or its little brother has reached the Tri Cities area of SE Washington. Winds came up quickly and have been blowing steady at 25-30 with gusts of 45-50. There's a lot of dust in the air, limiting visibility to about 1/2 mile. That's not too surprising considering this is a desert.

We had a power outage here in Concrete (western Wash state) last night. Seems like winter but it's still qutie warm.

This is the same storm system that has delayed several friends' departures to Hawaii. Very unusual to see a hurricane reach the PNW. Wonder if the AK cruise ships were impacted.

It was no big deal in the Vancouver Area, and the recorded winds up in Haida Gwaii and Hecate Strait didn't come anywhere near the forecast winds.

I remember the 1963 Hurricane that reached Vancouver. That was quite the event with trees down everywhere.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

This is the same storm system that has delayed several friends' departures to Hawaii. Very unusual to see a hurricane reach the PNW. Wonder if the AK cruise ships were impacted.

The cruise season in Alaska ended in September.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom