West Marine Changes Price Matching Policy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Price Matching Policy

If you find a lower price on an identical product (brand and model) currently in stock at a retail store located within 50 miles, West Marine will match that price (excluding shipping/handling charges or taxes) within 30 days of purchase, subject to the exclusions discussed below.
We reserve the right to verify that the product is identical in brand and model and in stock on the date you request the price match. Excluded from our Price Guarantee are the following: Our competitors’ website prices items sold on auction sites, liquidation sales, wholesale prices, including our Port Supply prices, free offers, buy one/get one, or bundled offers, clearance or close-out prices, coupons or instant/mail-in manufacturer rebates (unless, of course, we offer the same rebates as our competitor), used, damaged, returned, open box or display items, shipping/handling charges, taxes or sales tax promotions, items in excess of competitor’s advertised limited time/limited quantity, timed events (e.g., early bird, door busters), expired ads and pricing or typographical errors.
Step 1: Visit your local West Marine Store or call us at 1-800-BOATING (262-8464) and let your West Marine Associate know that you have a price match item to discuss.
Step 2: Provide the name of the competitor. Also, be prepared to provide the address, item number, and base price of the item.
Step 3: Please wait while the Associate confirms the price and in-stock availability of the item.
Step 4: Once confirmed, we will gladly match such competitor's price as set forth above.
Please note that final merchandise price matching cannot be combined with other coupons or promotional offers. Prices, offers and our price matching policy are subject to change without notice. Price matching does not apply to online auctions, liquidation sales, refurbished or used merchandise, shipping charges, taxes, or promotions such as: mail-in offers, gift-with-purchase, financing offers, installation services, or typographical errors.
Which items do we price match?

Almost everything we sell! We price match identical branded items with the same features and U.S. warranty. The item must be in stock and available for purchase (we reserve the right to call and verify that the item is in stock).
What is excluded from our price match?

We do not price match:

• Refurbished items
  • Items sold on auction sites
  • Liquidation sales
  • Wholesale prices, including our Port Supply prices
  • Free offers, buy one/get one or bundled offers
  • Clearance or close-out prices
  • Coupons or instant/mail-in manufacturer rebates(unless, of course, we offer the same rebates as our competitor)
  • Used, damaged, returned, open box or display items
  • Shipping/Handling charges
  • Taxes or sales tax promotions
  • Items in excess of competitor's advertised limited time/limited quantity
  • Timed events (e.g., early bird, door busters)
  • Expired ads
  • Pricing or typographical errors

Price Match FAQ's

Q. Why do you limit price matching to a geographic area within 50 miles of a West Marine store?

A. We want to be competitively priced with the local competitors that do business within the area that you live or boat. This allows you to shop with us and know that you are getting the lowest price in your geographic location.
Q. Are shipping and/or handling charges included in the price match?

A. No. The guarantee only applies to the base cost of the product before shipping, handling, or sales tax charges.
Q. What does "identical branded item" mean?

A. An "identical branded item" is a nationally branded product with the same model number. This item must be new and in-carton and include the US warranty and all accessories.
Q. Does West Marine match prices from competitors located in countries outside of the continental U.S.?

A. No, we do not price match competitors located outside of the continental U.S. However, our stores in Canada, Puerto Rico, Alaska and Hawaii will price match their local competitors (which means a store that is in the same market and/or within a reasonable distance of our store) but not online prices.
Q. Will West Marine match its own prices?

A. Yes our U.S. stores will match our internet prices and vice-versa. However, we do not price match our Port Supply (West Marine's wholesale division) prices for retail customers. Also, our stores outside of the continental U.S. only price-match their own local competitors and do not price match West Marine stores in other areas or westmarine.com.
Q. How do you handle a price match for a manufacturer's rebate offer?

A. We do not price-match a manufacturer's rebate offered by our competitors (unless, of course, we offer the same rebates as our competitor).
Q. Do you price match limited quantity offers by competitors?

A. We will price match up to the same limited quantity of items as offered by our competitor. We reserve the right to contact the competitor to verify the item quantity and in-stock availability.
Q. What if a competitor's item is not listed as being limited quantity, but the item is not in stock?

A. If a competitor is out of stock of the particular item, we will not match the competitor's price. "In stock" means that the item is available. We reserve the right to contact the competitor to verify if the item is in stock.
Q. Can I combine a price match with a separate promotion from West Marine?

A. Although we do not combine our promotions or discounts with priced matched items, we will gladly apply our West Marine discounts or promotions to that item and compare it to our competitor's price and offer you the lowest of the two prices.
Q. Can special offers (financing, delivery, installation, etc) at a competitor be price matched?

A. We only match a competitor's price. We do not match a competitor's financing or deferred interest offers, deliver or installation offers.
Q. Does West Marine price match limited time promotions, such as early opening specials?

A. No, timed events, such as door busters, early bird or other limited time events are excluded from our price match policy.
Q. What proof is required to obtain a price match?

A. Customers are required to provide the competitor's current advertisement. In addition, the product must be in stock and we may call to verify price and availability.
Q. Are Product Protection/Extended Warranty Plans eligible for price matching?

A. No, we do not price match competitor product protection or extended warranty agreements.

I sent the following email to WM:

Dear West Marine,

I am very disappointed to hear that WM will now only offer price matching within 50 miles of a store. The reason price matching (from any source) was so popular is that WM products are over priced to begin with. There have been many times I have purchased items using price matching. The price matching was even cheaper than I could get the item through my port supply account. Again, which proves most of WM items are over priced.</SPAN>

I will continue to buy marine products from sources that are priced reasonably and will most likely not be WM rather places like Fisheries Supply, England supply and the internet.

It would appear WM does not want my business and you are artificially holding prices high. In these times of hard economic times I would think WM would work with their customers and not against them, but then again the high profit philosophy of WM seems to take a priority.

I don't get it. No business can indefinitely provide high levels of customer service AND the lowest price in the market. Its silly to expect that.

I don't get it. No business can indefinitely provide high levels of customer service AND the lowest price in the market. Its silly to expect that.

That's true, but I needed an item that has a $162.00 manufacturer's list price. West Marine's list price is $180.00! I can buy it from several on-line vendors for $125 or so.

I was going to have West marine order it for me (it's not locally stocked) and then have them price match it. I decided to just order it from the lowest priced Internet vendor and be done with it. Shipping vs local sales tax makes it just about a wash.

So - If their prices were more reasonable in the first place, they wouldn't need the price matching to begin with.

I just bought all my new navigation stuff; two MFD chartplotters, HD radar, new transducers, two VHF’s, an EPIRB, and a stereo system from West Marine. I did quite a bit of price searching and they did match the lowest price I gave them. I found the info I needed by going to Google Shopping. Type in the manufacturer’s product # from WM and you will see the lowest price that WM will sell the item for. You can copy it and bring it to them. Or you can just show it to them on your droid. If they wouldn’t match the lowest price, I wouldn’t but the item from them. There wasn’t any miles restriction. I was told that doesn’t go into effect until the end of March.

W Marine’s prices are definitely inflated. They wanted $25 for a gallon of oil that I got at Wal Mart for $14.

If they’re matching the lowest price that I can find, then I’m ok buying from them. There really isn’t any other boat store in the vicinity that has their inventory, and they’re conveniently right up the road from me. I haven’t had any problems returning items either. KJ

They like others are slowly pricing themselves out of the market.... Frankly, I rarely find that I need something "yesterday"...so I can generally wait for it to be shipped in to me.

Even though I have a Port Supply.... I find I can often beat those prices without trying too hard.... I order from where I get the best prices....and frankly... I don't think I need to go and bend their arms for a price match...if they want to "compete" they should compete....

My problem is this... They could be the leaders in discount brick-and-mortar marine sales, but instead opt for the "as-high-as-they-can-take" option. With the size of their business, they have more than enough buying power to keep their prices more inline with their online competition. But instead, they still want to charge retail or higher. It's practices like this that make boating financially out of reach for those of us that have the passion, but teeter on the edge of affordability. I agree that they can do it if they want, but I think they are complete idiots for doing it. I will be putting a spending cap on the things I buy from them in the future. I will not continue to support a company that refuses to remain competitive and bury their head in the sand.

In practice it sounds like the end of price matching by that retailer.
I thought you guys had it good in this area. Friends here bought Australian made Ronstan brand parts for a sailboat traveller from Defender, with shipping, for 40% less than the price here.
They are really "traveller" parts. Sold and shipped from here to USA to a retailer, sold by the retailer for a profit, shipped back here as a small package, still cheaper than our retailers.

If you don't like WM prices and policies, then don't shop there. That's what I do.

Even ignoring "internet" stores, I find WM prices consistently higher than all of our local, mom and pop, brick and mortar shops. And I'm not going to waste time price matching to give business the WM. I'll give it to the guy with the good price to begin with. At least he's not trying to rape me.

And I don't consider Defender or Jamestown to be "internet" stores anyway. Both are brick and mortar retail stores who also sell via the mail - just like WM.

If you know anyone with a Port Supply account you will know how much they mark up. I bought a $2000 RIB on a PS card for $1350!

Amazon is where I go first for anything. Their prices are good and the return policy is second to none. In addition, they deliver it to my front door. For $25 a year, you can get PRIME shipping which it is free two day shipping or $3.99 for overnite. They don't have everything, just most things.

Amazon is where I go first for anything....
Bought 2 Johnson Ultima bilge pump switches from Amazon; shipped to Oz they cost a whisker more than one from my friendly local discount chandler.

If you know anyone with a Port Supply account you will know how much they mark up. I bought a $2000 RIB on a PS card for $1350!

I also have a Port supply account and can find stuff lower on the internet. Port supply = 10% less maybe on already inflated prices....

I've never asked West Marine to price match. I know they will often do it, but it's always easier for me just to buy where the best price is. If West Marine wants to me to buy from them, they should be more competitive from the start.

The GPS Store. For electronics. Usually the best prices I can find on line -- at least from legitimate sellers.

Defender. Good prices and selection online. Everybody knows them.

Fisheries Supply. Because they have just about everything and are only two miles from the boat. I can order on line and have it in will call when I need it. Or I can wander the store. Pretty good prices on most things.

West Marine. When I absolutely want to spend as much as possible. There is a store about a block from the boat. From time to time I pop over there when I need a screw or piece of line or something small that doesn't make sense to drive over to Fisheries Supply.

West Marine can order it if they don't have it, but Fisheries Supply usually has it in stock.

Whenever I am purchasing something significant, I usually compare the prices for Defender, Fisheries Supply, and West Marine. I am occasionally surprised where the best price is.

Amazon and ebay occasionally have what I am looking for also.

No business can indefinitely provide high levels of customer service AND the lowest price in the market. Its silly to expect that. __________________

NO Discounts at Worst Marine ., a "commercial" account at Port Supply gets you down to LIST!

Wish Defender has stock, their sales will soar .

Worst Marine will loose even their instant source of last resort as shops like Ace Hardware and True Value carry 5200 and a small marine section..

Home Cheapo in Fl has 5200 for about $10 a tube already.

I too was sorry to see WM price match policy change. However they had the best return policy of any marine store or internet site I've seen.
They will surely loose some customers and sales, but I doubt as a percentage of their total sales, price matched items were that big.

I only use West Marine to buy a few screws now and than.

Recently needed a couple of brass cabinet catches, they were 17.49 each at WM total 35. plus 7% Tax.

I ordered a pair on Ebay $6 including shipping and no tax. A marine brand solid brass.

I buy 5200 at Home depot.

Everything else I might need I get from defender.

Recently scored a new Torrid 10 gal water heater for 250. Another Ebay find!

JohnP

Good find on the Torrid! Those things are bullet proof. I have on on my boat that has a 1985 build date!

I only use West Marine to buy a few screws now and than.

Recently needed a couple of brass cabinet catches, they were 17.49 each at WM total 35. plus 7% Tax.

I ordered a pair on Ebay $6 including shipping and no tax. A marine brand solid brass.

I buy 5200 at Home depot.

Everything else I might need I get from defender.

Recently scored a new Torrid 10 gal water heater for 250. Another Ebay find!

JohnP

Port Supply has a multi-tiered or smart discounting system. It is based on spending habits.

I also have a Port supply account and can find stuff lower on the internet. Port supply = 10% less maybe on already inflated prices....

WM should take note from BestBuy...

WM should take note from BestBuy...

They are, and that's the problem. It's a pretty predictable formula that big retail chains follow. Come in big with good prices, build lots of stores, grow grow grow, and wait for the smaller shops to die off. Then, as the competition dwindles, start to edge the prices back up. By now the manufacturers who you sell will be catching hell from all their other retailers about WM pricing compared to their own. The first remedy is WM-unique models to attempt differentiation. People will keep coming because "common knowledge" is that you have great prices and are "the place to go". Most people don't notice that they are slowly being porked. Next, create your own house brand. Get the cheapest crap you can from China or India or wherever and start offering that up where it yields high volume and high margin. Now you are keeping both the retail margin, and the manufacturers margin. Good strategy, right? Yes, until you thoroughly piss off the major manufacturers. Eventually your prices are no longer differentiated, and you are existing on your brand along. People finally catch on to this and start buying elsewhere. It may even be that some other retailer is in the early phase of this cycle and is offering low prices and expanding rapidly, so you start shopping there. Eventually the place turns into Sears or Kmart with empty stores any nothing but Musak playing in the background. The smell of death is rampant.

I never thought I'd be defending West Marine, but...

I do buy from them sometimes. In fact, lately I've found a few things cheaper than, or as cheap as, buying on line. Yeah, that surprised me, too.

They are convenient, two stores in no-sales-tax New Hampshire that are right on my way home. They can get just about anything they don't have in 2 days.

I buy a lot of stuff on line, and also Hamilton Marine in Maine and a local fishing supply store in NH.

There is some value to having a local brick-and-mortar. I can return what I don't use, or whatever doesn't fit. I can touch the products, comparison shop, measure, etc. And I know it's hit-or-miss, but often the sales people are real boaters who actually can answer a lot of questions.

I think of WM as similar to my corner hardware store. Sure, I can drive 14 miles round-trip to a Lowes or Home Depot for the same stuff a lot cheaper. But sometimes, in the middle of a project, it's nice to run less than 2 miles down the road, grab what I need and be back home in just over 5 minutes. I go out to restaurants sometimes too, even though it's much cheaper to prepare the same meal at home.

Well, sorry to here that. I was going to order a new chart plotter/ depth finder tomorrow from my local West Marine store for $499.95. for my new fishing boat. I guess I'll order it on line now. Along with a EZ-steer, mooring lines, fenders, fire extinguisher, flare kit, paddle, outboard lock. and maybe a few other things.

There policy says it needs to be the same brand and part number before they will match it. How are you going to do that when much of their stuff is private labeled. No one else will have their brand!!!

I have had nothing but great service from WM. They get just about any part I have ask for and have arranged international shipping and handling all for a good price.

We always try to support local merchants whenever we can even if it means spending a few dollars more. So we shop for general marine equipment at LFS and Redden in Bellingham and Fisheries Supply in Seattle. We buy all our marine electrical hardware from bulbs to inverter/charger to generator starter from the lical family-owned and run marine electrical shop.

We have purchased all the electronics for both our boats-- VHS radios, GPS plotters large and small, radar, loud hailer/intercom, etc.--- from a one-man shop in Bellingham. Yes, we sometimes pay a few dollars more than the internet, although his prices are certainly competitive.

But the Internet won't take the time to answer questions, and it won't do things like spending two hours on our boat helping me align and set up our new radar after my wife and I installed it, including giving us the "secret" dealer/repair shop codes for setting up the unit's basic parameters, codes that are not included in the operator's manual. And did this for no charge.

We used to use West Marine because they are open on Sundays. But last year both LFS and Redden added weekend schedules so we have no reason to use West Marine at all anymore.

Port Supply has a multi-tiered or smart discounting system. It is based on spending habits.

This is true. But what they do that "bites"....is at the first of every year they shift you back to the worst discount level and you have to earn (spend beaucoup bucks) back to that better discount.... They don't average it over a period of months or have a fixed discount....they play games with it....strictly to their advantage...and the logic behind it doesn't breed "customer loyalty"....not when you can get the same thing many other places for less without even trying.....

The best way to save money at WM is to go to work for them. Maybe their employee discount policy has changed but when we outfitted our last boat in '04 the admiral went to work for them and we got some fantastic deals and saved a bunch of money.

Bob

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom