Old 02-28-2018, 02:37 PM   #1
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
West Marine Amazon Price Match

A friend from Jacksonville came by today. He said he was at the JAX West Marine Store and they mentioned that they price match Amazon. We drove to the Fort Pierce Store later to buy 2-2020N-30 Racor filters. West Marine price was $19.99. He handed the cashier a copy of the Amazon page for the same filter listed for $11.45 and that’s what he paid with no questions asked. Has anyone else done this? I knew they would match the brick and mortar stores but what a great deal with them price matching Amazon.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:02 PM   #2
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
A friend from Jacksonville came by today. He said he was at the JAX West Marine Store and they mentioned that they price match Amazon. We drove to the Fort Pierce Store later to buy 2-2020N-30 Racor filters. West Marine price was $19.99. He handed the cashier a copy of the Amazon page for the same filter listed for $11.45 and that’s what he paid with no questions asked. Has anyone else done this? I knew they would match the brick and mortar stores but what a great deal with them price matching Amazon.

I won't even give them the opportunity to price match. I won't do business with a company that takes a product with a List Price of $15.59, asks $19.99 for it which is 30% OVER LIST PRICE. Then, and only then, if I call them out on it, will they sell it to me for the typical retail price of around $12.00. Ruck You is all that comes to mind.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:14 PM   #3
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I won't even give them the opportunity to price match. I won't do business with a company that takes a product with a List Price of $15.59, asks $19.99 for it which is 30% OVER LIST PRICE. Then, and only then, if I call them out on it, will they sell it to me for the typical retail price of around $12.00. Ruck You is all that comes to mind.
Exactly
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:22 PM   #4
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Exactly
"We'll rip you off unless you catch us, so catch us if can". That's our motto. That's our business plan.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:26 PM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
how many marine stores are left with stock on the shelves?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:59 PM   #6
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
how many marine stores are left with stock on the shelves?
Yup!

Come on folks, I didn’t post for a West Marine bashing. You can find plenty of that if you do a search.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Chesapeake Region
Good info - thnx for posting
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:44 PM   #8
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Hmm. I’m gonna try that next trip to WM for whatever. What I do like about them is their exchange/refund policies. No questions asked over the years, but you generally pay for it.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:45 PM   #9
Guru

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
the best thing about wm is there a 1/4 mile from the boat. yep there high .I always try the hardware store and consignment store first. but I do spend a little there.
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:30 PM   #10
Guru

City: Houma, Louisiana
Vessel Name: M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Model: 45ft Bluewater Coastal
So you are saying, that when doing a weekend job and need something to finish the job should I just shut the job down and wait until I can find it cheaper !!!!! If a few extra bucks means that much, SELL THE BOAT.
kartracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:46 PM   #11

City: Manasquan
Vessel Model: 2007 Henriques 35 Express
Good headsup
Thank you
Moonzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:13 PM   #12
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
In my line of work I deal with Amazon and Amazon third party sellers a lot. Though an uncomfortably large chunk of my income is derived from the platform, I can't in good faith speak highly of their business practices. Lots and lots of counterfeit merchandise on the site. though they have made token attempts to get it down, they are a far cry from clean.

Of less short term concern to the consumer, they also have no qualms about violating their legal contracts with their vendors. More and more reputable brands in my industry are choosing not to sell to Amazon at all, or will only allow their product to be sold on the platform through reputable third party vendors. The main brand I represent has intentionally shrunk their business with Amazon by over 40% in the last two years. Amazon is pretty mad, but they brought it on themselves through their disreputable business practices.

I buy plenty of stuff there, I'm just telling you, my online peeps, to be careful. Sometimes the extra couple of bucks is money well spent.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:26 PM   #13

City: Manasquan
Vessel Model: 2007 Henriques 35 Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
In my line of work I deal with Amazon and Amazon third party sellers a lot. Though an uncomfortably large chunk of my income is derived from the platform, I can't in good faith speak highly of their business practices. Lots and lots of counterfeit merchandise on the site. though they have made token attempts to get it down, they are a far cry from clean.

Of less short term concern to the consumer, they also have no qualms about violating their legal contracts with their vendors. More and more reputable brands in my industry are choosing not to sell to Amazon at all, or will only allow their product to be sold on the platform through reputable third party vendors. The main brand I represent has intentionally shrunk their business with Amazon by over 40% in the last two years. Amazon is pretty mad, but they brought it on themselves through their disreputable business practices.

I buy plenty of stuff there, I'm just telling you, my online peeps, to be careful. Sometimes the extra couple of bucks is money well spent.

There was an piece about this on he news this morning.

For the most part one would not think of a Chinese knock off not the end of the world but there are other considerations not so superficially obvious.

Makeup knockoffs can contain arsenic, lead, even mouse droppings and urine

coffee cup knockoffs can contain unusually high levels of lead and deleterious chemicals.

1.5 billion in counterfeit products. Mostly usurped from US companies.

Sorry to OP. Didn't mean to hijack

I'll still make WM price match !!
Moonzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:32 PM   #14
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartracer View Post
So you are saying, that when doing a weekend job and need something to finish the job should I just shut the job down and wait until I can find it cheaper !!!!! If a few extra bucks means that much, SELL THE BOAT.
Feel strongly about it, do you?
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:34 PM   #15
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
West Marine does have advisor articles that help selecting products.

I know the guy who was instrumental in that area and wanted me to write some of the categories. I do trust his opinions.

So while more expensive, they offer a tidbit more than the average marine store on top of having things on the shelf.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:01 PM   #16
Guru

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
We are fixing to spend a bunch of money there so I appreciate the info. Thanks!
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:26 PM   #17
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
We are fixing to spend a bunch of money there so I appreciate the info. Thanks!
Go in and talk to your local marine store and tell them you just bought a boat. Fisheries Supply in Seattle had/have a “Yacht fitters” account. I’ve had two with them, once in Trinidad. The accounts were good for six months and you pretty much get whole sale prices. West Marine use to have (and maybe still do) a new buyers discount. Don't be bashful about asking for a discount with your marine store even if it’s a small guy. You just bought a boat, will be spending $$$, so you will be a good customer and a heavy weight. Yahoo! Good for you guys.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:33 PM   #18

City: SOBX North Carolina
The problem that I have now with West Marine is the lack of professional and knowledgeable sales staff now. When they first got big into the nationwide marine sales, they staffed their stores with experienced and older boaters. this included many from the sailboat industry that had a ton of time under their belts at sea and liveaboard and was educated from the bilge right on to the exterior and parts in between.

I don't mind paying a bit extra while local brick and mortar businesses provide jobs to local folks when I need something right away and had staff that even knew where the stuff was in the store. But no more now,, Kids are now filling the store with less than no desire to assist you to even find toliet paper in their shelves. I need to almost beg someone if I can find one in the store to help me now. Now days most of the staff will first go to their computer to see what something looks like. So they have lost most of my business. But I may try out this feature of price match.
Scratchnsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:35 PM   #19

City: North Port, FL
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths (sold)
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
Defender Marine will also do the New boat buildout account.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:38 PM   #20
Guru

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Go in and talk to your local marine store and tell them you just bought a boat. Fisheries Supply in Seattle had/have a “Yacht fitters” account. I’ve had two with them, once in Trinidad. The accounts were good for six months and you pretty much get whole sale prices. West Marine use to have (and maybe still do) a new buyers discount. Don't be bashful about asking for a discount with your marine store even if it’s a small guy. You just bought a boat, will be spending $$$, so you will be a good customer and a heavy weight. Yahoo! Good for you guys.
I will ask but our first round of $$ spent will be at the store in Fort Meyers next week to buy the things we have to have to get the boat home. Safety equipment, water hose, boat hook....etc.
we are working in a list.
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote