West Marine Amazon Price Match

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry M

Guru
Site Team
A friend from Jacksonville came by today. He said he was at the JAX West Marine Store and they mentioned that they price match Amazon. We drove to the Fort Pierce Store later to buy 2-2020N-30 Racor filters. West Marine price was $19.99. He handed the cashier a copy of the Amazon page for the same filter listed for $11.45 and that’s what he paid with no questions asked. Has anyone else done this? I knew they would match the brick and mortar stores but what a great deal with them price matching Amazon.

A friend from Jacksonville came by today. He said he was at the JAX West Marine Store and they mentioned that they price match Amazon. We drove to the Fort Pierce Store later to buy 2-2020N-30 Racor filters. West Marine price was $19.99. He handed the cashier a copy of the Amazon page for the same filter listed for $11.45 and that’s what he paid with no questions asked. Has anyone else done this? I knew they would match the brick and mortar stores but what a great deal with them price matching Amazon.

I won't even give them the opportunity to price match. I won't do business with a company that takes a product with a List Price of $15.59, asks $19.99 for it which is 30% OVER LIST PRICE. Then, and only then, if I call them out on it, will they sell it to me for the typical retail price of around $12.00. Ruck You is all that comes to mind.

Last edited:
I won't even give them the opportunity to price match. I won't do business with a company that takes a product with a List Price of $15.59, asks $19.99 for it which is 30% OVER LIST PRICE. Then, and only then, if I call them out on it, will they sell it to me for the typical retail price of around $12.00. Ruck You is all that comes to mind.
Exactly

how many marine stores are left with stock on the shelves?

Hmm. I’m gonna try that next trip to WM for whatever. What I do like about them is their exchange/refund policies. No questions asked over the years, but you generally pay for it.

the best thing about wm is there a 1/4 mile from the boat. yep there high .I always try the hardware store and consignment store first. but I do spend a little there.

So you are saying, that when doing a weekend job and need something to finish the job should I just shut the job down and wait until I can find it cheaper !!!!! If a few extra bucks means that much, SELL THE BOAT.

In my line of work I deal with Amazon and Amazon third party sellers a lot. Though an uncomfortably large chunk of my income is derived from the platform, I can't in good faith speak highly of their business practices. Lots and lots of counterfeit merchandise on the site. though they have made token attempts to get it down, they are a far cry from clean.

Of less short term concern to the consumer, they also have no qualms about violating their legal contracts with their vendors. More and more reputable brands in my industry are choosing not to sell to Amazon at all, or will only allow their product to be sold on the platform through reputable third party vendors. The main brand I represent has intentionally shrunk their business with Amazon by over 40% in the last two years. Amazon is pretty mad, but they brought it on themselves through their disreputable business practices.

I buy plenty of stuff there, I'm just telling you, my online peeps, to be careful. Sometimes the extra couple of bucks is money well spent.

In my line of work I deal with Amazon and Amazon third party sellers a lot. Though an uncomfortably large chunk of my income is derived from the platform, I can't in good faith speak highly of their business practices. Lots and lots of counterfeit merchandise on the site. though they have made token attempts to get it down, they are a far cry from clean.

Of less short term concern to the consumer, they also have no qualms about violating their legal contracts with their vendors. More and more reputable brands in my industry are choosing not to sell to Amazon at all, or will only allow their product to be sold on the platform through reputable third party vendors. The main brand I represent has intentionally shrunk their business with Amazon by over 40% in the last two years. Amazon is pretty mad, but they brought it on themselves through their disreputable business practices.

I buy plenty of stuff there, I'm just telling you, my online peeps, to be careful. Sometimes the extra couple of bucks is money well spent.

There was an piece about this on he news this morning.

For the most part one would not think of a Chinese knock off not the end of the world but there are other considerations not so superficially obvious.

Makeup knockoffs can contain arsenic, lead, even mouse droppings and urine

coffee cup knockoffs can contain unusually high levels of lead and deleterious chemicals.

1.5 billion in counterfeit products. Mostly usurped from US companies.

Sorry to OP. Didn't mean to hijack

I'll still make WM price match !!

So you are saying, that when doing a weekend job and need something to finish the job should I just shut the job down and wait until I can find it cheaper !!!!! If a few extra bucks means that much, SELL THE BOAT.

Feel strongly about it, do you?

West Marine does have advisor articles that help selecting products.

I know the guy who was instrumental in that area and wanted me to write some of the categories. I do trust his opinions.

So while more expensive, they offer a tidbit more than the average marine store on top of having things on the shelf.

We are fixing to spend a bunch of money there so I appreciate the info. Thanks!

We are fixing to spend a bunch of money there so I appreciate the info. Thanks!

Go in and talk to your local marine store and tell them you just bought a boat. Fisheries Supply in Seattle had/have a “Yacht fitters” account. I’ve had two with them, once in Trinidad. The accounts were good for six months and you pretty much get whole sale prices. West Marine use to have (and maybe still do) a new buyers discount. Don't be bashful about asking for a discount with your marine store even if it’s a small guy. You just bought a boat, will be spending $$$, so you will be a good customer and a heavy weight. Yahoo! Good for you guys. :thumb:

The problem that I have now with West Marine is the lack of professional and knowledgeable sales staff now. When they first got big into the nationwide marine sales, they staffed their stores with experienced and older boaters. this included many from the sailboat industry that had a ton of time under their belts at sea and liveaboard and was educated from the bilge right on to the exterior and parts in between.

I don't mind paying a bit extra while local brick and mortar businesses provide jobs to local folks when I need something right away and had staff that even knew where the stuff was in the store. But no more now,, Kids are now filling the store with less than no desire to assist you to even find toliet paper in their shelves. I need to almost beg someone if I can find one in the store to help me now. Now days most of the staff will first go to their computer to see what something looks like. So they have lost most of my business. But I may try out this feature of price match.

Last edited:
Defender Marine will also do the New boat buildout account.

Go in and talk to your local marine store and tell them you just bought a boat. Fisheries Supply in Seattle had/have a “Yacht fitters” account. I’ve had two with them, once in Trinidad. The accounts were good for six months and you pretty much get whole sale prices. West Marine use to have (and maybe still do) a new buyers discount. Don't be bashful about asking for a discount with your marine store even if it’s a small guy. You just bought a boat, will be spending $$$, so you will be a good customer and a heavy weight. Yahoo! Good for you guys. :thumb:

I will ask but our first round of $$ spent will be at the store in Fort Meyers next week to buy the things we have to have to get the boat home. Safety equipment, water hose, boat hook....etc.
we are working in a list.

Whitworths chain in Australia offers a 10% discount for orders over $1K. They exclude some items. Mean as a cat covering its droppings in discounting otherwise,but generally the service is good.

"We'll rip you off unless you catch us, so catch us if can". That's our motto. That's our business plan.

I get the sentiment, but truthfully, I gladly pay extra $$ on those days when I'm desperate for an item to complete the project. Like everyone, I now do my shopping online--but I also support WM because I NEED them to be there for me! Plus, the Anacortes store is less than a mile from my boat :)) I say give them some slack.

"-but I also support WM because I NEED them to be there for me!"

This is how they justify massive markups , folks will pay for instant access.

WM went private in Oct last year things are changing. The new pricing policy is on their website. Ever try to return items to that 3rd party Amazon vendor? No problem with WM.

I try to buy at the privately owned marine store around the corner from our West Marine. I have developed a relationship with the owner over the years. If he does not have what I am looking for he will have it for me the next day. He is very knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with. When I leave his store I don't have that uncomfortable feeling in the seat of my pants that I do when leaving West.

regards Holty

I have a Port Supply card so I have access to more than West Marine.
WM does give me a discount but not always as great as other suppliers.

The people at our local WM store are very friendly and helpful.
Unfortunately, it’s a small store so unless it’s a very basic item, they may not have it.

The problem that I have now with West Marine is the lack of professional and knowledgeable sales staff now.

The conundrum...if we don't patronize the local businesses soon there will be NO local businesses or local business owners to patronize MY local business.

And, the idea of spending a little more so I can see and touch the product is worth something-to me.

The idea of getting some expert information on a product or help selecting the best product is decreasing. I hate it when I ask a question and the employee takes the box from me and starts reading what I just read then tries to act like s/he now knows enough to answer my questions.

We unreasonably want the absolute lowest price AND highly trained, knowledgeable employees.

Lots and lots of counterfeit merchandise on the site. though they have made token attempts to get it down, they are a far cry from clean.

A customer of mine recently got a counterfeit product through Amazon. He asked me to price match it but I was already making a whopping 3% on the quote I gave him, so I declined. While Amazon took it back, he was pretty pissed that he paid the going rate for a fake product the re-seller was likely making a 250% margin on.

I also encountered my own "counterfeit" issue with Amazon on Zeiss lens cleaners. The ruined a brand new set $350.00 lenses. When I took the lenses to my eye glass guy he asked me to show him what I had been using to clean them. When I showed him he pulled out the real McCoy... They were counterfeit Zeiss lens cleaners. That re-seller is no longer on Amazon but the lenses were toast.... Oh and I paid the same for the counterfeit ones as I would have for the genuine Zeiss cleaners.

I am much more careful in what I buy off Amazon these days...

The conundrum...if we don't patronize the local businesses soon there will be NO local businesses or local business owners to patronize MY local business.

And, the idea of spending a little more so I can see and touch the product is worth something-to me.

The idea of getting some expert information on a product or help selecting the best product is decreasing. I hate it when I ask a question and the employee takes the box from me and starts reading what I just read then tries to act like s/he now knows enough to answer my questions.

We unreasonably want the absolute lowest price AND highly trained, knowledgeable employees.
I was always the person that did not even price shop if I really needed something pertaining a specialty item dedicated for boats and the saltwater elements.

While the quality of parts has declined over the years, that too was accepted as the "cost of doing business" in boats. Try to maintain my boat as good as I can and accept the cost that gives me some confidence when untying the lines.

As the decline in help began to rear its head, I finally said enough. And this is where I personally find myself now. Sad to say the least, as I still buy from my local hardware store that's so service friendly that if need be their help would come out and cut my own grass and apply fertilizer if I was to ask, no questions asked either. Did I tell you that I hate the decline in personal attention when spending hard earned money with any businesses?...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom