And we're off to Seattle...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just passing Nesika Beach in Oregon. We're about 15 miles out. We're seeing mellow ocean swells. Maybe 3 foot swells with a few bigger ones here and there. Depth is 372 feet and Captain Jack wants us to head out a bit further, to 60 fathoms for our evening run to Newport, OR.

We're currently doing 10 knots, engines are at 2,270rpm (max rpm for D4 Volvo is 3650rpm).

Volvo computer showing current fuel burn at 11gal/hr.

I made blueberry pancakes about an hour ago with the Kodiak brand mix. Not only is it a great tasting pancake mix, but it's convenient as you only need to add water.

Running through the night was weird at first, but I got used to it. My shift, midnight to 3am was the toughest one as we hit a stretch of confused seas that made the ride a little jostling at times. The ceiling was probably intensified for me since I was the one in the helm seat. We did manage to stay at 10 knots through the night.

Through most of this passage, we could easily be ruinning at 15 to 18 knots.

Anyways, that's my quick update. Thanks everyone for following us!

Last edited:
Newport is one of Jack’s favorite refuel stops. Listen to him when he tells you about the tricky current turning into the marina. Once you are past Cape Blanco you will be north of the incoming weather. Could be smooth seas all the way home with your speed.

You are making good time. It looks like winds will shift to north and pick up a bit (15kn) north of Newport on Thursday. But Friday looks unusually calm along the northern WA coast and Strait Juan de Fuca according to "Windy". You picked a great weather window. Have a great trip!

We are in Newport, topping off the fuel tanks. Very lumpy, confused seas over the past 10 or so hours. I'm bad at estimating wave height, but they looked like 5 foot swells mixed with a few other wave patterns. Kind of a washing machine effect. The ST44 hull handled it all very well. We blasted through the last few hours of it at 14 knots.

Meanwhile, I put a Scopolamine patch on early in the trip, and while I haven't gotten seasick, it's made me feel awful. Very groggy. I just took it off. Hopefully a wise idea!

We are in Newport, topping off the fuel tanks. Very lumpy, confused seas over the past 10 or so hours. I'm bad at estimating wave height, but they looked like 5 foot swells mixed with a few other wave patterns. Kind of a washing machine effect. The ST44 hull handled it all very well. We blasted through the last few hours of it at 14 knots.

You might has your delivery Captain what he would estimate the wave height. I'm really bad at it as well.

Meanwhile, I put a Scopolamine patch on early in the trip, and while I haven't gotten seasick, it's made me feel awful. Very groggy. I just took it off. Hopefully a wise idea!

The patch can work well, but the other anticholinergic effect can be unpleasant. Beyond the dry mouth and dry eyes, of significance can be drowsiness, dizziness, and memory problems. Those could be troublesome while on watch.

Has anyone tried the relief band "watch" that zaps you gently and in theory works for motion sickness.

Michael, I've seen ST44 numbers posted at about 1 nm/gal at 20 knots. Is that burn achievable? Wife likes the 44 but we are still a few years out from buying.

Thanks!
Keith

Left Newport, heading to Astoria. We're about 7 miles offshore seeing 3 to 5 foot swells along with very small wind waves.

Smooth travels. It is HOWLING in the Strait of Juan de Fuca here at Port Angeles right now.

I am really enjoying your reports - thanks!

Re Astoria, another good option is Ilwaco on the Washington side right after you cross the Columbia River bar. The channel goes by the Coast Guard station. It is narrow but well marked. Saves about an hour coming and going to Astoria.

Update: conditions got quite a bit worse. We were getting pounded out there so we're going to duck into Tillamook versus Astoria. The Nordhavn that was behind us apparently went into Brookings.

Despite the fact we are not comfortable, this gave me a lot of confidence in the ST44 hull. Even sizeable waves on the beam didn't seem to bother it.

Also, they closed the Tillamook bar to boats under 22'.

Update: conditions got quite a bit worse. We were getting pounded out there so we're going to duck into Tillamook versus Astoria. The Nordhavn that was behind us apparently went into Brookings.

Despite the fact we are not comfortable, this gave me a lot of confidence in the ST44 hull. Even sizeable waves on the beam didn't seem to bother it.

Let us know when you get in their safely.

A reasonably fun activity in Tillamook is a tour of the cheese factory.

Ironically, I did buy a big brick of Tillamook cheese for this trip!

Oh man, yes please let us know when you are safely tucked in at Tillamook. I've been caught in big seas off La Push and the captain assured me the boat can take WAY more than I could!

We're in! Before we got there we went through an area with 8 to 10 foot short period swells and 3 to 4 foot wind waves. I never felt unsafe, but NOT comfortable! As for the bar crossing, I was very nervous, but Jack made it look easy. Let's just say that, for me, this made his fee well worth it. I would not have attempted it. IMG_5209.jpgIMG_0010.jpg

I was hoping that once around Cape Blanco you would be able to sneak up the coast. I could see the winds moving into the Coast. Most of the heavy winds are between Mendocino and Blanco. Unfortunately I don’t see it settling down until Monday. I assure you Jack has seen a lot worse. Jack and I were slogging it out in 10-15’ swells with 6’ wind waves once. It was so bad that when we got to port one of the crew had enough and flew home, but the winds settled and we cruised on home in flat water.

The good news, you are so close to home your friends can come visit while you wait on the weather.

Has anyone tried the relief band "watch" that zaps you gently and in theory works for motion sickness.

Yes, but not that shiny new model. My bride used to get so sea sick that I thought I was getting out of boating. Bought one of the older round relief bands and when she puts it on her symptoms stop instantly. We stayed in boating and have even been living aboard/cruising full time for the past 8 years. It does not work for some folks but it does us. Best $150 I ever spent.

Marty...........................

Glad you made it into Tillamook safe and sound. Great experience to make the crossing with an experienced Captain. This will be a great learning trip for you. I’m envious.

Ye Haw! Glad your in safe harbor. Catch up on your sleep and get ready for the next leg.
Cheers!

Thanks everyone! Yes, definitely going to catch up on sleep. I'm absolutely exhausted. Running on fumes...

Be sure to do the cheese factory tour. They sell cheese curds in the store that are kinda like cheese balls and are a great snack. Then there’s the ice cream......

Pete, don't get him started on the ice cream, they'll never leave Tillamook.

Yes, but not that shiny new model. My bride used to get so sea sick that I thought I was getting out of boating. Bought one of the older round relief bands and when she puts it on her symptoms stop instantly. We stayed in boating and have even been living aboard/cruising full time for the past 8 years. It does not work for some folks but it does us. Best $150 I ever spent.

Marty...........................

Like most sea sickness remedies, they work for some people, and not for others. I tried one and it did nothing. I think what they do is distract you from feeling sick, since you are focused on waiting for the next shock rather than thinking about being or getting sick. But if it works for you, its a great remedy.

Just stopped at Grays Harbor to top off the tanks. Heading to Neah Bay. Expect to arrive around 11:30pm. We'll sleep there then head for Seattle first thing Saturday morning. We're in 5 to 7 foot swells now in the fairly shallow water outside Grays Harbor doing 12.5 knots. Man, fuel is a lot less expensive up here as compared to SF!

We went past the Columbia River earlier and even though we were offshore its effects were clearly felt as things got very choppy for a bit.

Your timing couldn’t be better. It is ugly between Eureka and Cape Blanco. The rest of today should remain consistent and then you’ll be in the straight.

Northern Ranger I is waiting out the weather in Brookings, OR

We can see the entrance to the Strait on the plotter! Big milestone. IMG_5250.jpg

Back
Top Bottom