Old 10-31-2011, 03:02 PM   #21
Guru

Well Built, Capable and Reasonably Priced Used Boats

steel/iron fuel tanks

-- Edited by twiisted71 on Monday 31st of October 2011 03:03:12 PM

twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #22

RE: Well Built, Capable and Reasonably Priced Used Boats

Is anyone familiar with Albin and Marine Trader boats? I'll be looking at a 36' Albin and*34' and 36' Marine Traders. I'd appreciate opinions regarding the quality of these boats and advice on what I should look out for.

Barstool Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Has there been a purchase yet? We had a Bayliner previously, it was a nice vessel but did not meet our needs. We just recently took delivery of a 1980 38' Californian, we love it so far and was just a little out of your range...we paind 48k. Now obviously it needs some work in the commetic area but elbow grease is free right now at least. We did spend 4500. at the boat yard when we hauled her to take care of some issues that could not be negleted. Let me know if there is anything I can answer for you.
James
jlamb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:52 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Something to consider. *Look for a boat that is still being actively used by its current owner. *

One of my semi liveaboard dock neighbors bought an early 70's Tollycraft 30 something with gas engines for $7,500. *It had a well kept exterior, above average canvas and a clean mold free interior. *This boat was well used by the PO right up to the day he sold it. **

It came from a well respected maker and the perceived deficits that drove the price down, the wood and glass hull and the gas engines, were no problem for its new owner. *

Another acquaintance bought an beautiful older Chriscraft that had been sitting for about five years and had a world of trouble (transmissions, mold, etc.) that finally led to his selling the boat.
Penny Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:17 PM   #25
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Well Built, Capable and Reasonably Priced Used Boats

Quote:
Barstool Philosopher wrote:
Is anyone familiar with Albin and Marine Trader boats? I'll be looking at a 36' Albin and*34' and 36' Marine Traders. I'd appreciate opinions regarding the quality of these boats and advice on what I should look out for.
We sold our MT-36 Sedan this year. We liked her a lot, but we were good owners and we bought one of the good ones. Keep your eyes open and hire a good surveyor. If you see a minor problem look behind it a check to see if a major problem is lurking

-- Edited by Daddyo on Wednesday 9th of November 2011 06:03:31 AM
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:57 AM   #26
FF
Guru

I would go with the Bayliner or a similar boat.Cheap in easy out. Tons of room.

Gas will be the easiest to maintain , or have the engine serviced . Std drive , no outdrives .

Single engine ,fairly new , no major work. about 30 ft should be easy enough in the $15-$25K range.

At slow trawler crawler speeds the fuel bill wont be bad , and at speed , at least it wont take all week to get somewhere.

Good Hunting,
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #27

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...

The B word.... it is better to be cruising on a Bayliner than standing on the dock watching the Nordhavns go by. I sold a lot of Bayliners when I was a broker in Connecticut. The season was short and much of the boating was on Long island Sound, they were great boats for that use and price.
For any of the older boats in a low price range the key is how much has been done to upgrade and maintain over the years. Try to find a boat that the previous owner has done lot's of work on, it rather than to find one that you will have to do that type of work.
yachtbrokerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Quote:
twiisted71 wrote:
^^^^This is true. 3GPH for me at cruising speed (+/- 8 kts) is economical coming from a gas powered 26' keeled inboard that burned 9+ GPH at less than 15kts. Just be realistic in your expectations (its gonna be darn near impossible to match a sailboats fuel burn in a trawler), and really look at the boat's size and roominess because liveaboard is a LOT different than a week or two aboard. I know some of what i speak as we were fulltime RVers for 4 years. The 27' older Albins really don't amount to much more than a Cuddy cabin in the front and an enclosed bunk in the rear and they aren't connected by a roof. There is a 27 by Ranger and I think it was American Tug that made a 26' but they were/are expen$ive. I checked out a couple of Prairies when we were shopping and was impressed by the construction if not the actual build quality. The ones I saw had solid 'glass cabin walls and the decks were sound on all the ones we looked at. Out of nearly a dozen mainships only 2 had cockpit decks that were still sound and hadn't begun to sag! And you have to truly examine what is important to you. We really became stuck on having a Mainship even though it has a square stern and hard chines that make it more of a handful in stern quartering chop, for its large cockpit, stern door, and swimplatform. We knew we'd be having to get dogs to and from a dinghy and that we weren't going to be doing many open water crossings so it is a compromise we liked. *Another requirement was NO wood on the outside if it was at all possible.

Gulfstar 36's are another possibility for you to check out. *These were on our shortlist near the end of our hunt. *Most are twin engine but we did find one single! *They appear to have essentially a sailboat hull. have 2 staterooms and dual helms. *All of the ones we looked at though had rot problems in the salon walls or "rear shelf" due to window leaks. *If you can find a decent one these are neat boats for little money.

-- Edited by twiisted71 on Sunday 30th of October 2011 04:33:49 PM
*The Prairie line is a solid fg construction also (I read the Gulfstars were as well), they are very easy to maintain. *More info: "The Prairie Economical Trawler":

[video=

flagold is offline   Reply With Quote