Old 12-23-2017, 06:59 PM   #1

City: Viola
WeGoLook.com, anyone have comments

I am a total novice and would like to hire someone to make an initial look at a used trawler, not a survey, that's later. The We Go Look site says they will give it an inspection for about $100. Just wonder how legit they are. Thanks.

oakbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:13 PM   #2
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Umm, I was a novice too looking at big boats. Once I found what I liked, I hired a surveyor. I am very handy though. Take a friend along until you find what you like. Then hire the real deal. In my opinion, you’re just throwing money away for a companion without benefits.

Welcome aboard and happy hunting!

Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:18 PM   #3

Thanks Donna, I too am very handy and am learning more about larger boats everyday but have never piloted a larger boat with all that that entails. I am not on the coast right now, still waiting on my house to sell. I can't really go run and look at every possibility and so was looking at my options.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:20 PM   #4
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Is the issue that you and the boat are in different locations and you don't want to travel? Or are you looking for someone with more knowledge than you to help evaluate boats?

You will find lots of discussions and opinions on brokers, but this is where a good buyer's broker can and should earn their keep. That doesn't mean all actually do, but it's at least the theory....

Personally I would only want someone I know to evaluate on my behalf. So a friend or broker, but always preferably myself.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:23 PM   #5
Guru

City: Sydney
Wow a survey for $100 would be worth $5 and end up costing $1000"S
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:31 PM   #6

Well kinda both. I would like to weed out ones not worth the drive to go see. If we make a trip that say takes a day or two or more, there would be gas and motel charges that would far exceed say $100. Make sense? But most definitely I will have someone experienced I trust to go with me on every boat I check out. It makes it tough when finding possible boats on line, they tend to be all over the east cost and gulf coast. Wife and I are beyond anxious to get started and the whole process of looking at boats. I need to contact a broker I reckon, sounds like the safest way. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:42 PM   #7
Guru

You should be able to learn a lot from listings and a discussion with the selling broker. Listings that are thin on info, I would just skip over. They either don't want to tell you more because it's not flattering to the boat, or they are too lazy to put together a good listing. Pictures will tell you a lot, and descriptions should give a good inventory of how the boat is equipped.

Perhaps do some initial looking locally so you can start to develop a sense of how actual boats compare to their listings, and gain a better sense of the kinds of questions to ask over the phone, or pictures to ask for if not already part of the listing.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:07 PM   #8
Guru

City: Boston Area
I am sure the selling broker would be willing to use Skype or Facetime and show you around the boat from where ever you are.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:16 PM   #9

City: Savannah
Vessel Model: Mariner 38
When I was serious about a boat long distance I asked a surveyor to take a quick look at it for 1/4 of his fee. I eventually did buy the boat and he applied what I had already paid to his normal fee
Old 12-23-2017, 08:17 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
I am sure the selling broker would be willing to use Skype or Facetime and show you around the boat from where ever you are.
Great idea!
Old 12-23-2017, 09:51 PM   #11

Wow, some great feedback. Thank you all.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Southampton
Get a buyer broker. It doesn't cost you anything and they are acting as your agent, except if it happens that they are the listing agent for a boat you are interested in.
Recb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:51 PM   #13

Sounds like I need to get me a broker.
Old 12-24-2017, 02:01 AM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Portland, TN
Vessel Name: Roundabout
Vessel Model: 2000 Donzi Z275
I crawled up and down dozens of boats and asked a lot of questions. My sister is selling her liveaboard sailboat and going for a 44' trawler. Pictures always look good. I would drag along a knowledgeable boat person to teach you what to for. If there are no problems, then survey.
Sparks5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:37 AM   #15
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
I know captains who own management companies and often look first for their clients. They do not do so for $100 however. More like $150-200. Personally, I'd recommend the buyer's broker route but that is limited as well in terms of how thorough the look will be.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:11 AM   #16

City: Washington
Looking at the website, this company hires "independent contractors" to do the "looking". So you pay them $100, they call someone near where the boat is located and pay them something less than that $100 to go to the boat and take pictures of it. They don't claim to be boat surveyors or inspectors. The boat you are looking at might be the first boat this "looker" has ever seen up close.

It seems to me you could ask the broker or owner to send you pictures and eliminate the extra $100 fee. If you like what you see and the price you could hire a qualified surveyor to survey the boat with or without you being present.

It's not a service I would use.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:26 AM   #17
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Based on my own experience, one can hire a few surveyors one right after another. You will notice they all come up with different observations and always seem to be best buddies with the broker.

Best to take a friend who is knowledgeable about boat and while the broker is distracting you, your friend can be looking over the shoulder of the surveyor, asking questions and pointing out things.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Based on my own experience, one can hire a few surveyors one right after another. You will notice they all come up with different observations and always seem to be best buddies with the broker.

Best to take a friend who is knowledgeable about boat and while the broker is distracting you, your friend can be looking over the shoulder of the surveyor, asking questions and pointing out things.
Thanks, I wondered about surveyor and broker connection. Kinda like lawyers and judges, hmmm.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:36 AM   #19
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakbuilder View Post
Thanks, I wondered about surveyor and broker connection. Kinda like lawyers and judges, hmmm.
Don't let the broker be involved in the hiring of the surveyor. You select and manage. If the broker and surveyor then know each other, that's no big deal. You would expect them to. The surveyors we'd select in our area are well known by nearly everyone in the industry but their surveys are independent and without bias.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:41 AM   #20
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Don't let the broker be involved in the hiring of the surveyor. You select and manage. If the broker and surveyor then know each other, that's no big deal. You would expect them to. The surveyors we'd select in our area are well known by nearly everyone in the industry but their surveys are independent and without bias.
I selected the surveyor and paid the surveyor. Sadly, it was a bit obvious that the surveyor was hungry and didn't want to piss-off the broker.

I didn't feel screwed but, the surveyor could have spent more time with me than the broker.