Weber Q question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dougcole

Guru
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
'05 Mainship 40T
On the basis of many recommendations I bought a Weber Q about a year ago for the boat and mounted it on the rail.

I like it better than our old magma, but it doesn't get as hot as I expected it would. Nowhere near hot enough to sear a steak, and not as hot as I would like for burgers even.

Mine has a slit in the burner tubes, dead center in the rear. The flame sort of "leaks" out of that slit at a pretty good rate and makes a small hot spot on the grate just above it. Is that normal? Do y'all see that on yours?

Thanks,
Doug

I have one at home that recently had the weak flame syndrome. Mine has the same slit and wondered what the purpose was.
When researching the issue I found out that there are different model # regulators with different BTU ratings. I have a reg. with the higher rating and I'm contemplating trying to acquire the correct propane fittings to substitute it.
A removal and thorough cleaning of the burner tube helped the situation but still not quite where I'd like it to be.
I have had other grill rrgulators that had an adjustment screw under the round label. Unfortunately the Weber regulator isn't adjustable.

You can contact mfr and they may provide a nozzle with larger orifice. For steaks we push down regulator knob to get max flow and high heat to sear.

I've used a Q for years. For some reason, they often go into some sort of safety mode where flow is severely restricted and flame stays low. I've never had this happen on other propane appliances but happens occasionally with each of the Qs I've owned over the years.

This article describes the fix to what they call "bypass mode."

https://virtualwebergasgrill.com/2017/04/troubleshooting-low-heat-weak-flame-weber-gas-grills/

I still remember being really suspect of the Q because the Btu output seemed anemic compared to the full size BBQ I had at home, especially since the home BBQ didn't work all that well. Lo and behold, even at just 12k Btu, I've always been able to put a consistent sear on steaks, especially important these days given price of beef.

Good luck.

Peter

resettting regulator

I have had low flames on our Weber Q at home and other grills requiring a regulator reset by: 1. Turn off the gas at the propane tank.
2. Disconnect the hose from the propane tank.
3. Open the lid of your BBQ Grill.
4. Turn all the burner valves to high.
5. Wait for 2 minutes.
6. Turn off all the burner valves.
7. Connect the gas line back up to the propane tank.
8. Turn the gas on SLOWLY on the propane tank.
9. Light the grill using your normal lighting procedures.
A key step is to turn gas on SLOWLY. BTW, this reset procedure was taken from a gas grill manual and has worked for me to produce a higher hotter flame.

Thank you all for the input.

I am using the 1lb propane bottles, so I can't close/open the tank valve (there is no valve).

Any thoughts? Maybe the little bottles are the issue?

Doug

Use a Weber at the house I stay at. Love the grill construction, totally unimpressed with the cooking ability on several levels.

First is one big burner vs 2 independent burners. Can't fix that but as far as total heat looking for suggestions and may explore some mods when I get back there.

I have learned to let it warm up a lot longer than other grills.... the longer I let it pre-heat... I can't be sure but it seems to burn a little hotter in addition to have a higher sear temp.

For the RV, due to storage space size, bought a 2 burner monument that has the opposite issue, usually a little too hot to slow cook some items.

Hard to find the perfect grill...they all seem to have pro and cons.

Thank you all for the input.

I am using the 1lb propane bottles, so I can't close/open the tank valve (there is no valve).

Any thoughts? Maybe the little bottles are the issue?

Doug

You're right - I don't think the issue applies with the 1-lb propane bottles, but maybe. I'd try the same routine described above as best possible.

Good luck - Peter

1lb bottles have the same pressure initially as the big ones.... not sure how fast they may lose it though.

Plus, theoretically the regulators give the same low pressure to the burners as from any source.

On the basis of many recommendations I bought a Weber Q about a year ago for the boat and mounted it on the rail.

I like it better than our old magma, but it doesn't get as hot as I expected it would. Nowhere near hot enough to sear a steak, and not as hot as I would like for burgers even.

Mine has a slit in the burner tubes, dead center in the rear. The flame sort of "leaks" out of that slit at a pretty good rate and makes a small hot spot on the grate just above it. Is that normal? Do y'all see that on yours?

Thanks,
Doug

Any picks of the rail mount? Don't hesitate to call Weber. I have had excellent support in the past.

Spoke to Weber today, very nice tech support guy. He said there is not much I can do, said the Q maxes out at about 450, less than that if there is a breeze on it. No bigger orifice available. He said the "bypass" mode only applies if there is an adapter hose attached.

I modified the mount from our old Kuma grill. I'll post a pic.

I have had a couple weber q and the seemed to work ok but nut the hottest but will do steaks fine.One thing i found was the setup with a bottle and hose has a safety valve that need to be disabled. small drill down the output hole disables a check valve that is fickle and causes irregular flame performance. The valve is meant to stop gas if the hose is removed from the grill without turning off the tank. They will partially close giving half flame. That is where the want to repeat the startup

interesting, i've had the same issue w/ our new magma, i don't use the small canisters but a "pony keg" style of tank. It's infuriating

My home Weber did something similar but only if the flame control knob is opened before the tank valve is opened, or maybe for you, before the small can of gas is attached. The solution is easy- make sure all knobs are in OFF before the propane can is attached or turned on.

...One thing i found was the setup with a bottle and hose has a safety valve that need to be disabled. small drill down the output hole disables a check valve that is fickle and causes irregular flame performance.

I'd love to be able to perform this fix. Can you describe (or link to) a bit more detail on what/where to drill?

My Q (which I've really liked so far) suddenly seems to have a lower flame. Tonight we're at a mooring and right now we have a 15-knot wind. Looking forward to supper, I expect the wind to lay down a bit but I figured I'd be proactive with the grill. The steak tips have been marinating for a couple of days and I'm hoping to be able to grill 'em!

"My home Weber did something similar but only if the flame control knob is opened before the tank valve is opened, or maybe for you, before the small can of gas is attached. The solution is easy- make sure all knobs are in OFF before the propane can is attached or turned on."
That is exactly what would cause a low flame with our Q and a reset of the regulator is necessary by closing all flame control knobs,disconnect the hose from the grill,then re- attach tank hose to grill and open tank valve SLOWLY,then turn on flame controls.

We recently bought and mounted a Magma Kettle, after looking at several others, including the Weber. The Weber looked really good....until we noticed the big open space on each side, and then computed the low BTU/sq inch of grill space-the 2 issues talked us out of it. Ours is mounted on the side rail, not the transom, and anything over 15 kts and it doesn't get hot enough to do much cooking. We feed the Kettle with a separate bottle/regulator, and (so far) have not had an issue with lighting it-just the heat output with a breeze.

I was having the same problem off larger than the one pound throw away tanks, gas grill dealer said it was the new valves, gave the “open slowly and not all the way” advice for 5 lb and up tanks. Worked for me, get a great hot burn.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom