Weather Service

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am looking into Predictwind. They use 4 different computer models. They seem to agree for the first day or so, but after 3 days or so, they vary wildly, both in windspeed and direction.... any thoughts out there?

I'm a fan of Predict Wind, and have used it on and off for over a year. What you are seeing is model variability for a complex problem. When I see one or other of the models being quite different to the others I bear in mind that forecasting is an inexact science, and run some mental 'what ifs' for my planned anchorages if the oddball one turns out to be right. I don't mind the conflicting info, when it occurs, at all.

I usually call Richard the guy in post 6. I came back to predict the wind last fall after 3 years due to one of their special offers. It's getting better, but it's just an algorithm that can't see out the window. Unless you are crossing a pond I would say save your money, its worthless for the Gulf Stream.

For info. After my last post on Sirius/XM on Garmin, I found some tremendous errors in forecast winds between Sirius and NWS. I ragged on both Sirius and Garmin for over a year until someone at Garmin acknowledged a problem in data handling that was supposedly fixed last October. I will find out in a couple of months. This particular error was with forecast winds being 10-15 knots off consistently. I also complained that they were only showing "buoys" for weather observations rather than all the reporting points Sirius was sending from the National Buoy Data Center. The took the literal approach on buoys.

Tom

I use Weather Underground (and Storm), RadarNow!, NWS, NHC in hurricane season, occasionally windyty... augmented by our own radar when appropriate... and then also sometimes augmented by weather apps from AccuWeather, The Weather Channel, and whatever local TV stations offer.

And all that augmented by near-real-time local buoy reports (e.g., the Chesapeake Bay Interpretive Buoy System in this area, etc.) when I can find 'em.

We could add and display Sirius XM weather on the plotter... but I'm not seeing a serious :) benefit to that.

-Chris

While researching weather programs here I noticed the absence of "Magic Seaweed." Surfers use this, almost to the man, as they are very interested in wind speed & direction, wave heights and intervals, water temperature, for all cities along the coast. I use it and I must say it's incredibly accurate. It's a free app for your iPhone.

https://magicseaweed.com/Point-Loma-Surf-Report/4213/

Windy.com has been spot on this trip south. And for the trips up north very accurate, now there was that one time crossing Dixon they all had it wrong, Cept the Canadian weather....go figure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom