Old 05-06-2015, 09:06 PM   #21
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Larry, good catch on Buoy Weather. I found that a lot of the serious offshore fisherman use Windfinder and/or Fish Weather. Didn't learn about them until we had semi-swallowed the anchor, but have been very useful here in NC.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:58 PM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
For open water travel, those regional wind forecasts are OK...but for ICW and riverine work...better figure out how to guess your own wind.

Funneling and terrain following can alter those regional wind maps quite a bit. I have seen 45 degrees and 10+ knots difference regularly.

I wouldn't pay for some weather info unless someone forced me to..it's just not that much more a accurate than the free stuff and you experience is what really counts.

http://www.passageweather.com/

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:43 AM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
Bruce
Yes, I use that all the time for local trips. It seems pretty good for the areas it covers, but coverage is not very extensive.
True, it is limited to State capital cities.
There is a weather guru here, Ian Badham. He does weather forecasting, amongst other things, for Sydney-Hobart sailing race competitors, for a fee. They get everything, no just wind, wave, speed, direction,fronts, etc, and probably much more, but also coastal currents speed, direction, location and distance offshore, which can make a real difference to boatspeed. I don`t know what each boat pays, but there are usually 100+ entries, so there is a dollar in it. Most navigators are quite good at making their own weather predictions, but even good ones get his advice.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:59 AM   #24
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
...but for ICW and riverine work...better figure out how to guess your own wind.

Funneling and terrain following can alter those regional wind maps quite a bit. I have seen 45 degrees and 10+ knots difference regularly...
Good point. Local influences can be/are a problem. Here's part of the weekly warning when we download Grib files.

...What you are receiving is a weather prediction generated by a computer run by NOAA/NCEP (GFS, WW3 models) or the US Navy (comaps, nogaps) and downloaded and processed by Saildocs (a service of Sailmail)...
Grib data also has limitations along shore, where local effects often dominate and may not be adequately modeled....
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:17 AM   #25
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Good point. Local influences can be/are a problem. Here's part of the weekly warning when we download Grib files.

...What you are receiving is a weather prediction generated by a computer run by NOAA/NCEP (GFS, WW3 models) or the US Navy (comaps, nogaps) and downloaded and processed by Saildocs (a service of Sailmail)...
Grib data also has limitations along shore, where local effects often dominate and may not be adequately modeled....
I really notice how much direction change occurs at the Delaware River near the big bend at the Salem Nuclear Plant. The strong northwestern is in the fall seem to follow it right around. The one Funneling the surprised me was last year at Cove Point in the Chesapeake. The winds slowly increased 5 to 10 knots until the neck and then went back down as we made our way south.

After years of flying low level in canyons, depressions, between island cliffs, etc, etc...I would have never guessed relatively flat or very wide terrain would have such an effect.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:50 PM   #26

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
Here is the forecast for this summer in Florida -High temperature 90 to 94 everyday from June 1 until Oct 30. Low temperature 80 to 84. First cold front early November
80% chance of rain every afternoon
40% chance of thunderstorms every day.
A chance of hurricanes from June 1 until November 1
Not much different from Louisiana.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:05 PM   #27
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtbrokerguy View Post
Here is the forecast for this summer in Florida -High temperature 90 to 94 everyday from June 1 until Oct 30. Low temperature 80 to 84. First cold front early November
80% chance of rain every afternoon
40% chance of thunderstorms every day.
A chance of hurricanes from June 1 until November 1
Not much different from Louisiana.
Think you pretty much nailed it nailed it!
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:40 PM   #28
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Passage Weather .com

Then various weather and weather radar apps.

Other wise Tuckers forecast is spot on. :-)
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:25 PM   #29
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Lots of good links here:

National Weather Service Marine Forecasts
Old 02-23-2017, 07:39 AM   #30

City: Nokomis FL
Vessel Name: Yellow Brick Road
Vessel Model: Jefferson 42
I am looking into Predictwind. They use 4 different computer models. They seem to agree for the first day or so, but after 3 days or so, they vary wildly, both in windspeed and direction.... any thoughts out there?
Yellow Brick Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:54 AM   #31
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Brick Road View Post
I am looking into Predictwind. They use 4 different computer models. They seem to agree for the first day or so, but after 3 days or so, they vary wildly, both in windspeed and direction.... any thoughts out there?
I'm a fan of Predict Wind, and have used it on and off for over a year. What you are seeing is model variability for a complex problem. When I see one or other of the models being quite different to the others I bear in mind that forecasting is an inexact science, and run some mental 'what ifs' for my planned anchorages if the oddball one turns out to be right. I don't mind the conflicting info, when it occurs, at all.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:13 AM   #32

City: Miami
I usually call Richard the guy in post 6. I came back to predict the wind last fall after 3 years due to one of their special offers. It's getting better, but it's just an algorithm that can't see out the window. Unless you are crossing a pond I would say save your money, its worthless for the Gulf Stream.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:12 AM   #33
Guru

City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
For info. After my last post on Sirius/XM on Garmin, I found some tremendous errors in forecast winds between Sirius and NWS. I ragged on both Sirius and Garmin for over a year until someone at Garmin acknowledged a problem in data handling that was supposedly fixed last October. I will find out in a couple of months. This particular error was with forecast winds being 10-15 knots off consistently. I also complained that they were only showing "buoys" for weather observations rather than all the reporting points Sirius was sending from the National Buoy Data Center. The took the literal approach on buoys.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:47 AM   #34
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
I use Weather Underground (and Storm), RadarNow!, NWS, NHC in hurricane season, occasionally windyty... augmented by our own radar when appropriate... and then also sometimes augmented by weather apps from AccuWeather, The Weather Channel, and whatever local TV stations offer.

And all that augmented by near-real-time local buoy reports (e.g., the Chesapeake Bay Interpretive Buoy System in this area, etc.) when I can find 'em.

We could add and display Sirius XM weather on the plotter... but I'm not seeing a serious benefit to that.

-Chris