Old 07-29-2011, 06:31 AM   #21
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
RE: Weather Preparedness

Tom, not to start a debate on what's protected or not, but I would not say we're really as exposed as you say.* We're nearly landlocked on three sides, and the only exposed part of the docks is southeast. When storms are forecast, all boats are requested to tie up "bow to the wind".* Even the older docks made it thru Isobel, and the new pilings were driven twice as deep are rated for a Cat 4 .* Replacement was not related to storm damage, but to poor design of the floats under the piers. Developer (Weyerhauser) footed the entire bill to replace in 2005 for ~$5 mil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cypress landing.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	6830  

ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #22
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986

Quote:
Keith wrote:
.........No damage here at SSH with the floating piers during Ike. The eye passed right over the marina, and the back side was worse than the front.
*I was in Marina Del Sol for Ike and the only boats that sunk were pretty much derelic boats. That's not bad considering the sorry shape that that marina is in to begin with. We moved to Waterford Harbor Marina about a year and a half ago.

If we get a trawler, we were thinking about moving to SSH.

Yup, floating docks are the way to go. I leave my lines doubled all the time. If a hurricane is coming, I just remove my bimini, dodger and sails - total of 2 hours worth of work.

Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:55 PM   #23

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390

While we don't see a lot of hurricanes in New Jersey, we get our share of nor'easters. We moved to a more secure marina 9 years ago with floating docks (before you do this, take a look at the normal high water mark on the pilings and make sure there's enough piling to go another 6-8' otherwise your boat will float away with the dock and everyone elses boat). I pay more to get the inside "T" so i have more cleats available on the dock than most of the other slips. i also run long spring lines from the rings on the pilings. This is my normal arrangement so I never have to run to the marina to do anything extra.
John
390 Mainship
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:55 PM   #24
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

In areas subject to large storm surges, staying tied to a dock is perilous at best.* A good sheltered creek with trees to tie off is a great way to leave your boat.* How about the Trent River or some of the creeks off the Neuse?* When we were at Morehead City some friends had an extra slip behind their home on Queens Creek at Swansboro.* Upon hearing a storm was headed our wau we would travel the 75 milrs to the boat, do the ferrying of boat and car to run the 25 miles or so to Queens Creek.* The slip was large with extra high pilings.* We would double all lines, rig chafe guards, put out fenders, and take down the canvas and outriggers.* Never had a problem.

At Orange Beach, AL*Soldiers Creek off Perdido Bay was the hurricane hole.* Tie off where you can and put out anchors.* Now, we live 400 to 1000 miles from our boat.* We always either haul out when we leave or work a deal with a local captain.* The local boys can secure a haul out place when others can't.

We are planning on moving back down to Ft. Pierce or Stuart, FL in November.* We will try to find a local captain there to look after the boat when we are gone.* We file his name and number with the insurance company.* We also inform them of our storm prepardness plan.* It has worked for 40 years.* Here's hoping the plan continues to work.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:22 AM   #25
FF
Guru

"We also inform them of our storm prepardness plan."

Many folks on the FL coast or in the Keys rent a space in a Hurricane Hole for the summer and simply run there before the bridges close.

A number of my neighbors have "empty " but rented docks that serve this purpose.

For many owners this form of self insurance works out very well.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:36 PM   #26
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

We had our 2859 Bayliner sink during Hurricane Katrina in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi. We were pretty far upriver at Bay Marina, an older marina with *tin covered slips. This was considered the "Hurricane Hole" I was told.

I posted some pics. We lived about 100 miles away and made the perilouis journey to check the boat 2 days after Hurricane Katrina hit. Notice the high water mark on the interstate overpass, Hwy 603 at Interstate 10. This is probably 6 or 7 miles inland!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dscf0297.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	6851   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf0342.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	6852   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf0356.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	308.8 KB
ID:	6853   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf0359.jpg
Size:	281.2 KB
ID:	6854   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf0371.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	6855  

Name:	dscf0372.jpg
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	6856  
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:47 PM   #27
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34

Wow. Let us all hope, pray that we're not in the path of another Katrina. All the preparation in the world is not likely to save a boat in those conditions.

ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote