Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2014, 12:14 PM   #41
City: Fort Lauderdale
Your wife gets scared or your kids get seasick and suddenly the entire boating thing has taken a very negative turn. It may happen one day, but get lots of good experiences in first.

And yes, had you chosen more protected waters it might have been different. As it turns out all the areas mentioned have turned calm today. But you didn't know that was going to happen.

At this point in your and your family's boating life much better to err on the side of caution. Yes, 5 years and 1000 hours for all of you will add to skills. One thing you need is developing some confidence in your wife too. What if you needed help in tough conditions. Or even small things like getting an anchor up, can she take the helm? What if you became incapacitated?

My wife and I are a lot further along than we were 18 months ago. But Captain's classes, a Captain actively training us and about 1400 hours of engine time since. I think the experience required for various licensing gives you some clue. For instance, I've boated inland all my life and she has for 13 years. Now the 1400 hours or something around 220 days of sea service we're required now on coastal waters still leaves us short of the 360 needed. So right now we're both licensed as 50 Ton Masters Inland. By the end of this year we'll be 100 Ton Near Coastal.

You'll develop confidence and you'll know as the skills and experience come. You'll wake up months from now and think, "Boy, I sure have learned a lot." Then all these trips you're talking about will be to familiar grounds and through waters you've learned. Inlets are one of the huge parts of learning. Often the most difficult part of your day, especially your return trip. Not going to do it, but I could drive through Port Everglades blindfolded now. I know how the sea behaves there in various conditions. Plus it is an easy inlet. On the other hand, I have never entered the Strait of Juan de Fuca nor turned from it to head to Puget Sound.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #42
City: Fort Lauderdale
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Kevin, you're right. Surfing waves is a good ride. However a long period of it is very tiring-----no autopilot, and constant throttle adjustments to keep position on the wave. That is my preferred method of running inlets, but that usually only lasts a short while.
I remember when our Captain first started teaching us to surf waves. Both inlets and otherwise. One day we were in the Gulf and the conditions deteriorated. Now we were close enough to ports to exit the rough water any time, but we needed to learn as well. So we spent about three hours learning to handle the waves as we headed in different directions. Surfing was an odd concept at first because your inclination is to slow down for comfort, not speed up. Learning to measure the interval and match your speed to it. Getting on top and speeding up was nerve wracking but once you learned to do it felt good. Now of course it varies on every boat too. On that boat, that day, 30 knots was actually a good speed to surf. Going into the waves, much different story.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:04 PM   #43
City: Marysville, Wa.
Chris, Here are some sources of education you may find useful. First, pick up a copy of the Waggoner Cruising Guide. Virtually every boat you come across in the NW will have one of these. Another is Chapman Piloting. This book has been around a very long time. Next, check out nwboatertraining.com. This will give you a list of training classes that are presented by the US Power Squadron. They have classes all over Puget Sound. I also recommend that your wife attend these classes, and kids, if old enough. It will give everyone alot more confidence.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:25 PM   #44
City: Kenai Peninsula and Poulsbo
Vessel Name: Scotch Knight
Vessel Model: Knight and Carver
This has to be the greatist compilation of advise to be had at zero cost, a bit off topic but still good. Good idea to sit tight, I hope the salmon bites were great at Candelers, I know the boat envy is good there if not! Previous post are right you would have been pounded senseless with-in sight of PT, be prepared for that as it will treat you similarly wether N-or-S bound. If wave action allows take a trip around Bainbridge or south and explore Vashon to Quartermaster, or Harstine, all good spots.
Surfing now that's a great tack to the thread. A maneouver that will get you there, but will drain you out! Being quite familar operating my 28' in similar Alaska surfing adventures, I reverted to the experience in a newly aquired 56 footer all within sight of PT!! Learn as you go! Make heed to Ksanders post. The thrills are out there you need to control the intensity. Great ventures to you>

Bruce and Carol, Avatar; Salmon Bay Lake cabin Tongass Nat Forrest, North Prince of Whales Is.
salmonchanted is offline   Reply With Quote

weather hold