Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-05-2016, 03:14 PM   #21
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
There's a saying among pilots: There are old pilots and bold pilots, but very few old bold pilots.
Paul
Modified Alaska style:

There's a saying among pilots: There are old BUSH pilots and bold BUSH pilots, but "are no" old bold BUSH pilots.

Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:41 PM   #22

City: Ophelia
Vessel Name: Mary Jo
Vessel Model: 1984 Albin 27 FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
👍👍👍👍👍
Totally agree....except, I am the wifey. Definitely want to be prepared so we can have a positive experience.

At this point, it does look like it's going to miss the Chesapeake (unfortunately not the south coast). Definitely learned a lot from all the feedback though....we'll probably still wait another day, but otherwise, will head on out to Annapolis. Thanks all!

Bearkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:10 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Here is a rule I learnt in sailing, especially racing, in year one: If in doubt about carrying a large sail, DON`T. In the ensuing year, in case of doubt, DO.
Perhaps in later years "doubt" gets removed by clearer YES/NO decision making, based on experience.I think it works here too.
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:27 PM   #24
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Absolutely, experience allows you to make proper risk management decisions.

It usually gives the skipper the ability to go beyond the simplistic and see options others can't envision.

It allows operations with adequate safeguards because they are known with backup plans.

People just starting have 2 options, go with what they know or trust other sound advice.

That can result is several outcomes....but no voyage is ever made waiting for better circumstances.

Manage risks and absorb experience by doing and measuring other info against what occurs.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:35 PM   #25
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
The "Don't Go" crowd needs to stay in bed. The world outside is not safe.

If you don't start a trip because there is a storm 1000nm away, you will be spending a lot of time on the dock.

Manage risks, indeed. Just have plans in play should the storm get up there.

Heck, a storm can brew up out of nothing and end up on your doorstep. Is that a reason to stay at the dock?

We are not discussing heading in to the Bahamas at this time... That would be foolish.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
The "Don't Go" crowd needs to stay in bed. The world outside is not safe.

If you don't start a trip because there is a storm 1000nm away, you will be spending a lot of time on the dock.

Manage risks, indeed. Just have plans in play should the storm get up there.

Heck, a storm can brew up out of nothing and end up on your doorstep. Is that a reason to stay at the dock?

We are not discussing heading in to the Bahamas at this time... That would be foolish.
I was actually raised by loving parents who always said 'be careful' about anything to do with the outdoors....scuba diving, sailing, fishing, boating, hiking, sitting out in the sun....it will always be the first voice I hear, and as such, will always have a sense of caution. But, to enjoy life, I need to go out and enjoy life.....researching / taking courses to be self suffient (like the diesel course I'm so excited about) and asking experienced folks on this forum, and learning from mistakes (small ones hopefully), will make my parents proud!

By the way....the marina in Annapolis confirmed they can handle things easily if we decide to go....they are there 24/7 and given that they are further north, most likely more sheltered than at my dock...so if it decides to turn north after the Carolinas, we should be in good hands.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:09 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearkeley View Post
I was actually raised by loving parents who always said 'be careful' about anything to do with the outdoors....scuba diving, sailing, fishing, boating, hiking, sitting out in the sun....it will always be the first voice I hear, and as such, will always have a sense of caution. But, to enjoy life, I need to go out and enjoy life.....researching / taking courses to be self suffient (like the diesel course I'm so excited about) and asking experienced folks on this forum, and learning from mistakes (small ones hopefully), will make my parents proud!

By the way....the marina in Annapolis confirmed they can handle things easily if we decide to go....they are there 24/7 and given that they are further north, most likely more sheltered than at my dock...so if it decides to turn north after the Carolinas, we should be in good hands.
Good for you....

Always good to listen to advice...but just as important...listen to all relavent pieces of info.

Early this morning the forecasts were changing significantly and you looked into backups to your plan.

Managing risks is ultimately what it is all about...because to be 100 percent safe is not realistic as it is too costly in terms of time and materials as well as the only way not to sink is never put the boat in the water.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:09 AM   #28

Well, we made it to Annapolis! The one foot waves turned out to be closer to 2 - 3 with the NE winds but my little trawler (and hubby) did well! :-) We spent two nights on the hook and got in yesterday to the marina with plenty of time to enjoy the boat show and now, rain and gale force winds safely in a slip! We have learned a lot cruising here so far....like don't leave a full gallon of water on the galley counter...don't put your towels or clothes in the compartment that could get wet, etc. Thanks again for all the advice...!
Old 10-09-2016, 08:19 AM   #29
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Drive down and take the course.
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:43 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Well, we made it to Annapolis! The one foot waves turned out to be closer to 2 - 3 with the NE winds but my little trawler (and hubby) did well! :-) We spent two nights on the hook and got in yesterday to the marina with plenty of time to enjoy the boat show and now, rain and gale force winds safely in a slip! We have learned a lot cruising here so far....like don't leave a full gallon of water on the galley counter...don't put your towels or clothes in the compartment that could get wet, etc. Thanks again for all the advice...!
6if it seemed particularly rough passing Cove Point near the Pax River....I always find it a little rougher there and a touch windier...

I thing it is the narrowing of the bay, and if the wind is against the tide, it is pronounced.

That actually can be many parts of the bay, but Cove Point has always caught my attention.

Do you also know about the huge restricted area off Chesapeake Beach? It forces you to the far eastern side of the bay evey afternoon unless you can confirm it will be inactive....which I have never found an easy way to do.... but mostly my course through there takes me or to the East anyway.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:51 AM   #31
Guru

City: gulf coast
With boats already gone for the winter many marinas in the north probably have space.
In FL I have found that if people dont leave as expected because of storm forecast my next stop marina may not have space.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:52 AM   #32
Guru

The captain of the Bounty was one of those go for it guys who would have been better to stay in bed.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:51 AM   #33
Guru

Comparing this trip to the Bounty episode?
Old 10-09-2016, 12:24 PM   #34
Guru

only in the sense that cautions boaters were told to stay in bed. IMO the Bounty skipper made a very poor decision to be bold. He too thought he knew where the storm was going. Hurricanes are notorious for not following expected path.

Each must decide for themselves and dont think we should be disparaging caution.

In FL when weather gets threatening boats tend to stay where they are so that reservation for the next marina may not be available.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:43 PM   #35

Fortunately, I booked the marina even before I got the boat! I didn't want to be stuck during the boat show learning how to anchor or moore.

Psneeld- we decided to go east given the variety places to anchor. With the ENE wind, the west side of the bay would have been really bad. We have gone up the bay with our center console and fished the restricted area by Chesapeake beach before (police came by and told us about it!). Also experienced rough waters by Pax River while we were being towed by Boat US for a blown outdrive....not fun! It was nice this go round, however to not be in a rush and enjoy the ride!
Old 10-09-2016, 01:18 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
only in the sense that cautions boaters were told to stay in bed. IMO the Bounty skipper made a very poor decision to be bold. He too thought he knew where the storm was going. Hurricanes are notorious for not following expected path.

Each must decide for themselves and dont think we should be disparaging caution.

In FL when weather gets threatening boats tend to stay where they are so that reservation for the next marina may not be available.
True...but my suggestion was only after the forecasts were dramatically changing for the better, all the models agreed, and there was still plenty of time to get there, discover no room at the in and get home.

I have plenty of caution in my recommdndations.....I just weight the risks and have a few backups.

My main point usually is when deciding to cruise.....for some of us....better repair faci.it is and safe havens are along the way...not necessarily at home base. So getting started without everything being perfect may actually be lessening risk versus increasing it.

Studying the situation closely is ke. Also having local knowledge and looking at the storm from up here is totally different than the advice from people 800 miles away with possibly very limited local knowledge. Not necessarily smarter advice, just easier to justify as long as it was sound.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:21 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Fortunately, I booked the marina even before I got the boat! I didn't want to be stuck during the boat show learning how to anchor or moore.

Psneeld- we decided to go east given the variety places to anchor. With the ENE wind, the west side of the bay would have been really bad. We have gone up the bay with our center console and fished the restricted area by Chesapeake beach before (police came by and told us about it!). Also experienced rough waters by Pax River while we were being towed by Boat US for a blown outdrive....not fun! It was nice this go round, however to not be in a rush and enjoy the ride!
Great!

Just thought I would mention the restricted area as so many of my friends have cruised through it and never knew, plus someone else may have brought it up in another thread just recdntly.