Old 07-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #41
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Weather for the 4th..Looks questionable

Thanks, Al.* Looks like we're moving right along.* Sails*are full.* Life is great.

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 1st of July 2011 10:31:44 PM
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #42
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
RE: Weather for the 4th..Looks questionable

I just returned from the Mandeville Tip Annual Fireworks show put on by the Hilton family. There were hundreds of boats gathered for the festivities, including a full cadre of USCG, Vessel Assist and local law enforcement boats.

I met Mark and Cindy on their beautiful 58 Vanatre. Meg and I got the grand tour of the Delta Swizzler, enjoyed their company, shared a beer and crossed paths a couple more times throughout the weekend as se each motored and paddles around watching the antics.

Mark set up camp in among the rowdy 'silicone and testosterone' crowd and had LOTS to watch from his sundeck. (I'll let him fill in the blanks) We rafted up with 9 other boater friends in a quieter neighborhood and enjoyed the melee for the first time from a distance.

The temps hovered in the high 90s and low 100s (that's 35-39 got the non-Yanks...;-) ) and low humidity. The occasional dinghy cool-down rides revealed the 'wonders of God's creativity', normally intoxicated and dancing provocatively. I got busted more than once by the admiral while I was admiring the wonder of it all.

Here are some pics of the festivities, but no 'wonder shots'. That would have been pushing the limits.

As we were leaving, we passed dswizzler just as he was backing out and heading for home. So we paused and got a couple of pics. Sorry for the poor quality...we forgot the camera at home and had to rely on the camera phone.
Attached Thumbnails
photo0827.jpg   photo0825.jpg   photo0829.jpg   photo0832.jpg   photo0831.jpg  

photo0830.jpg   photo0837.jpg   photo0838.jpg   photo0840.jpg   photo0841.jpg  

FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #43
Master and Commander

Al, sounds like you spent the night there.* Did most everyone else?* Why all the cops?
Old 07-05-2011, 10:51 PM   #44
TF Site Team

Yes, we spent 2 nights there...arrived Sunday, left today (Tues). Most of the boats spend AT LEAST one night, and many come for more like a week. A lot of the smaller ski boats and bowriders come for the show then head home in the dark.

There are those who over imbibe then try to drive a boat. There are those who get out of control with water guns, bikini 'malfunctions' in exchange for beads, etc. The officials are there to try to control the mayhem and rescue those who experience problems.

We witnessed two rescues by Vessel Assist. One small 18 ft woody was taking on water and had engine problems. The VA guys threw him a hose and pumped his bilge until it was safe to tow him to safety. Another guy's boat was disabled and drifted into the tules. His radio transmissions has carrier wave but little or no voice modulation. The radio tracking system on the VA boat allowed the towboat Capt to home in on the disabled boat. Very cool that he could be found and saved in the dark.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:01 PM   #45
Master and Commander

Would it be safer/quieter south of "the Cut" (toward Middle River) and still have a decent view of the fireworks?
Old 07-05-2011, 11:30 PM   #46
TF Site Team

That's what we have done in the past...anchored in Mildred Island and watched from there. Our friends were encouraging us to raft up with their group, so we tried it one night with the thought that if it was too rowdy, we could peel off and head to Mildred. Night one was good, so we stuck it out. Had a good time with friends and made some new ones, too.

(BTW, I still have your disk of pics on the boat. Tried to mail it Sunday AM on my way to the boat, but the post office desk at my store was closed until 10AM. Will try again when I'm in Rio Vista this week.)
Old 07-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #47
Master and Commander

Thanks, Al.* I was wondering what happened to it.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #48

City: Bocas del Toro, Panama
Vessel Name: Delta Swizzler
Vessel Model: 1988 58' Vantare

Actually the reason for all the police, sheriff and coast guard boats out there is that before the fireworks start,* they actually close down the shipping channel. physically blocking to off to any traffic, then after the fireworks they try to control the speed of the boats leaving. I've been going out for the past 19 years. Always a great firework show. It is the one time a year i see many of my delta friends, because we all know that we'll be out there, so it is really like a boating family reunion each year. We actually go out two weeks early, to great a great spot, then use ski boats, jet skis or dingy to run around. Going to Herman & Helen perhaps for a meal or running up to Stockton to Garlic Brothers.

After all this time, my grown kids now schedule their limited vacation time around this boating event. So it is alot of fun

Nothing says good family time, like beer pong off the back of the boat. It is hard work but someone had to do it.
Attached Images

Dswizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:19 AM   #49

City: Bocas del Toro, Panama
Vessel Name: Delta Swizzler
Vessel Model: 1988 58' Vantare

Al,

Great meeting you and Meg and we'll give you a call about meeting up at the riverboat some Friday night. Thanks for the pictures of the boat, cindy tried to garb our camera, but she took the one with the full memory chip, image that. The water guns fight are all in good fun for the most part buy like anything else some folks take it to far. My uinderstand is it was alot noisier 10-20 years ago. as the story goes The hilton's of Hilton hotel's have a duck hurting club there on the point and these firework shows have been going on for a long time

When Conrad Hilton passed away a few years back he left a trust fund set up to have the 4th of july show continue for the next 50 years. I plan attend alot of them.
Dswizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c

We made it up to the Delta last weekend but had to be home on the fourth so did not go out for fireworks.* We have the boat at Delta Bay (aka Brannan Isle KOA).* Once we got the trawler there we left her in the slip and toodled around in the dinghy.* We met some really nice people in the marina and even one guy who knows the new owner of Pineapple Girl I (our old sailboat, small world).* some friends brought up their sailboat and Sunday we went out in our dinghys and they towed their kids in one of those big tubes meant for towing off a ski boat.* The wife of that couple fell in while trying to dump water out of the tube and she came up smiling and laughing.* we spent hours just floating in the water.* It was absolutely fantastic and we cannot wait to go again this weekend (and the next and then for the week at the end of the month...)

After hearing Mark and Al's descriptions of the fun at the fireworks, I hope to make the 4th of July week my week off next year and anchor out for the show.* We were pretty sad to have to drive home Monday morning but man were we tired after all the fun of just one weekend!* I hope we can pace overselves when we are there for a week.

Mark and Cindy, we now understand why you have Delta Swizzler up there for the season.* When we got back to our home marina and got out of our freind's car to get into ours, I was practically blown back into the car by the wind.* even though it was hot up in the delta there was a nice breeze that kept it bearable and of course we could always cool off in the water.* The water felt cold for about half a second whenever we first got in.* Didn't even need a towel when we got out, I don't think we even had any out.*

FANTASTIC!!!!
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:40 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

I took a few random photos while there.
Attached Thumbnails
delta 021.jpg   delta 012.jpg   delta 026.jpg   delta 027.jpg   delta 036.jpg  

delta 038.jpg   delta 046.jpg  
Old 07-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:
I took a few random photos while there.
*Ooh! Like the classic woodie. Wonder what make? And the shack on the shore for sale (asking price?). And what the heck is that boat (?) in the fifth picture?
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:
*Ooh! Like the classic woodie. Wonder what make? And the shack on the shore for sale (asking price?). And what the heck is that boat (?) in the fifth picture?
We saw a lot of nice looking classic yachts, that's for sure!* that one was called "loafer".

A funny thing about the shack is the only way to get to it from land is by walking along a railroad!!!* I can only imagine what they want for it.* There was one a bit farther along that was "fixed up" if you can call it that and had boats on the deck and tied up to the pilings.* I can't imagine anyone living there, who knows???* I added a photo of the "nice" one, below.

the fifth picture--yeah.* good question.* I added a photo of the front of it as it came into view.* It was tied up in a narrow slough next to a small house (shack).* The boat*actually looked pretty decent by the standards of what we saw.* there are*a lot of "off the grid" type folks up there.***Keeps things interesting.*
Attached Thumbnails
delta 015.jpg   delta 034.jpg  
Old 07-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #54
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic

That classic woody, Loafer, is a Stephens trunk cabin cruiser built in 1930. There is a Stephens rendezvous in the San Francisco Bay area each year. We see "Cielito" and "Bounty", also Stephens, at Angel Island every so often. Nice folks that are owned by those cruisers. They like to talk "boats" when ya' catch up with them.
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #55
TF Site Team

Stevens used to build boats just down the road in Stockton, CA. It takes true dedication maintain a boat like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen..._Boat_Builders
Old 07-06-2011, 11:54 PM   #56
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic

Yep, you'd go through a lot of 320 sand paper and gallone of varnish.
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:03 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Weather for the 4th..Looks questionable

Quote:
Giggitoni wrote:
Yep, you'd go through a lot of 320 sand paper and gallone of varnish.
*For our 22 years of 39' woodie ownership we would go through about $600/yr of various grits (60, 120, 220 and Scotchbrite pads), paint, varnish, epoxy, etc. Not to mention a couple of months of preparation and applilcation. Could never have afforded having a yard do it.*

-- Edited by dwhatty on Thursday 7th of July 2011 05:46:26 AM
Attached Thumbnails
resipsa2.jpg  
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:14 AM   #58
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan

The weather on Stoney Creek was beautiful.* But it did get a little warm around 11 or so .....

Pasdena Burning Man!
Attached Thumbnails
dscn2505a.jpg   dscn2509a.jpg  
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:17 AM   #59
Veteran Member

City: Bridgewater, NJ

It looks like the FD determined the best course of action was to cut the tree down into the water?
scarletbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:56 AM   #60
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan

Yup, dropped it right into the creek, still flaming from the inside.* It looked like a Viking funeral floating away.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote