Old 02-10-2018, 07:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Houston
'We sold everything to do this and lost it in 20 minutes'

Couple sailboat rescued lose everything boat sinks | Daily Mail Online

Quote:
You might say this couple sold themselves down the river.

Tanner Broadwell, 26, and Nikki Walsh, 24, sold everything they owned in Colorado to buy a sailboat and live their best lives on the open sea, but that dream life was short-lived when their houseboat sank off the coast of Florida on Wednesday.

The couple was only two days into the adventure of a lifetime, when they're dream boat hit something in the water, and capsized, leaving everything but the dog, a little cash and their social security cards to float away, at their fingertips.

'I sold everything I had to do this,' Broadwell told the Tampa Bay Times, 'and I lost everything in a matter of 20 minutes.'

CaptRonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:17 AM   #2

City: Marion, Massachusetts
Vessel Name: Wanderer
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
That really sucks.

I'm going to stop complaining about my wifi.

PMF1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:22 AM   #3
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Wow! There is SO much wrong with this! Ok... first... they have been watching WAY too much YouTube. Second, a $5000 boat? Enough said. Third, ZERO boating experience and navigating at 9pm. Fourth, no insurance? WTF? Fifth, no savings and now have $90 to their name. SMH.

You know, I want to pigeon-hole them as typical millennials, but that a little unfair. Still... if the shoe fits. I hope they learn from this and try to get their life together before trying to live a dream like this. I do lay a lot of the blame on the YouTubers that post highly edited videos that make sailing the Caribbean look like a walk in the park. Never over estimate the intelligence of the general public.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:41 AM   #4
Guru

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Wow! There is SO much wrong with this! Ok... first... they have been watching WAY too much YouTube. Second, a $5000 boat? Enough said. Third, ZERO boating experience and navigating at 9pm. Fourth, no insurance? WTF? Fifth, no savings and now have $90 to their name. SMH.

You know, I want to pigeon-hole them as typical millennials, but that a little unfair. Still... if the shoe fits. I hope they learn from this and try to get their life together before trying to live a dream like this. I do lay a lot of the blame on the YouTubers that post highly edited videos that make sailing the Caribbean look like a walk in the park. Never over estimate the intelligence of the general public.
Sadly, I think you’re right though.
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:53 AM   #5

City: North Carolina
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N37
Quote:
I do lay a lot of the blame on the YouTubers that post highly edited videos that make sailing the Caribbean look like a walk in the park.
I watch some of those videos for just that reason. With a a good bit of experience (not expertise, by any stretch), it's obvious to me when some of the stuff they "present" in the videos are really sort of staged, or otherwise would not have happened as they show. Or that their latest "mechanical breakdown" would have obviously been imminent/preventable to someone who was prudent with preventive inspections and maintenance.

Armchair quarterbacking, you know....
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:55 AM   #6

City: Anacortes
It was later reported that the couple was seen hanging about endlessly, seemingly waiting for something. When approached, their apparent confusion was explained, “Don’t we still get our participation trophy?”
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:59 AM   #7
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Sadly Facebook posts are even more critical but likely deserved. Now just wait for the "Go Fund Me" account to be set up to dig them out. I feel bad for them, but............
Old 02-10-2018, 09:04 AM   #8

City: Scottsbluff, NE
I am trying to be sensitive and sympathetic, especially since they are so young and inexperienced---but---I wish that all my losses in life could be as small as 20 thousand dollars in total. If a fortune teller told me that the worst thing that would ever happen to me for the rest of my life was that I would lose 20K I would be a very happy man!
Polestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:13 AM   #9
Guru

City: CT
Like basing your life plans on "reality TV" shows.

Really we should allow the Darwin effect much greater opportunity to thin the herd.

Bet they thought they could fund their lifestyle taking their houseboat between Columbia and the Keys.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:15 AM   #10
Guru

City: Fairport
virtual world meets real world?

There are some sailors on the U tube with horror stories, sinking at anchor, vomit, redeck jobs in the rain, condensation and mold all winter, etc. We all need to see those too; keeps the wide eyed expectations in balance.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:19 AM   #11

City: In transit
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
I’m hung up on the $90 part. Unless they were stocked with provisions and floating endlessly, how where they going to clear in anywhere? Bahamas and Mexico both cost more than that.

And they are not allowed to legally work in alot of the countries w/o work permits, which are rarely granted. We have seen this alot. A few Facebook posts about a cruiser earning money and trouble is had. How where they going to pay for anything.

When I was there age, I too probably would have rather gone sailing then preparing for the future....

Hopefully some will learn from their mistakes.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:22 AM   #12
Guru

City: Fairport
Quote:
a $5000 boat? Enough said.
what should it have been? higher or lower

My very first boat was a BW16 at $1600 with trailer. No insurance. In todays $ that would have been over $10,000. Course, I was not about to live on it.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:57 AM   #13
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
moron millennial's

Not to mention that was a SAILBOAT not a houseboat, I wonder how much of the other info was bad.
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:57 AM   #14

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
we took the boat around to the town dock to get something eat and pump it out . we where standing on the dock and a young man rowed up in a small dingy looking for work he said he was anchored in the harbor . I pointed at a trawler being unloaded and said ask them I'm new here. I hope the boat and the ground tackle looked a lot better than that dingy. it was a week before that 0 deg weather we had too.
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:05 AM   #15
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Lots of perfectly good under $5k sailboats available.

Pretty hard to imagine hitting something at the speed that boat could go, and tear the keel off.

They're at an appropriate age to do really silly things, not plan, learn, suffer setbacks and pick themselves up.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:09 AM   #16

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Halcyon I
Vessel Model: 1984 36' Universal Europa Sedan
Quote:
Please don't use the phrase "typical millennials." There are many smart, hard-working young people in this world. Spacex is almost exclusively a company made up of millennials and look at what they did this week. Let alone almost every member of the military, every professional athlete, every Olympian, and probably the people that designed and built the hardware and software you're using right now.

"Lazy, coddled millennials" is a meme that needs to die right now.
VicTrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:14 AM   #17
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
"They do know one thing: this isn't the last of their adventures at sea "

Really.
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:18 AM   #18

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTrawler View Post
Please don't use the phrase "typical millennials." There are many smart, hard-working young people in this world. Spacex is almost exclusively a company made up of millennials and look at what they did this week. Let alone almost every member of the military, every professional athlete, every Olympian, and probably the people that designed and built the hardware and software you're using right now.

"Lazy, coddled millennials" is a meme that needs to die right now.
I think that "meme" is here for a reason there is a high percentage of them around. but as you stated not all of them.
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:24 AM   #19

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Sojourner
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTrawler View Post
Please don't use the phrase "typical millennials." There are many smart, hard-working young people in this world.
danderer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:00 AM   #20
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Millennials? Anybody that didn’t do spectacularly stupid stuff when you were young and adventurous raise your hand. Definitely not a series of choices anyone with life experience would make but invoking Darwin is a little harsh. If they don’t learn from this and try it again, then, yeah . . . Darwin.

I do think planning like this is where a lot of derelict boats come from. Fortunately these folks will get to tell their grandkids “what we’re we thinking!??!”

angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote