Waterproof Drones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LRC58Fan

THought people might be interested in this:

Splash Drone a waterproof drone with live video feed, payload release mechanism, emergency flare system and camera stabilization gimbal.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/urbandrones/splash-drone-a-waterproof-drone-with-autonomous-fe?

and a summary of all the waterproof drones on the market:

Best Waterproof Drones In The Market
https://www.wearechampionmag.com/best-waterproof-drones-market

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-03%20at%2011.11.39%20pm_0.png

marine-water-drone-quadcopter-waterbestendig_0.jpg

newest-quadra_0.png

After losing my Phantom 2 last summer (wind gust pushed the drone into a rail on take off, spun straight down into the water...) I am seriously considering getting one of these. I can't afford to keep replacing them!

Pool noodle. Cut one in half and zip tie it to the feet, then if it does take a dive (yay) at least you can collect the wreckage.

Pool noodles will save the world. The Velcro of our times.

F.Y.I. The "Lily" quad copter mentioned above is NOT waterproof!

As far as a "waterproof" drone, I'm waiting for DJI to come out with one. They are pretty much the world leader with consumer camera drones, their technology is second to none in the industry at the present time.

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

From the way they threw it in the water and it took off from there it sure looked water proof.

Marty..............................

Water resistant only. If the motors are completely immersed in salt water you will destroy them.

Edited:

I stand corrected... The Lily has a waterproof rating of IP67. This basically means waterproof to a max depth of one meter for a limited time.

Note: My initial statement was based upon a friends extensive knowledge of drones/quad copters.

Last edited:
I am now a dealer for the Splash Drone. I figured that offshore fishermen would buy them. They buy a lot of GoPro cameras from me. The expensive one has a follow me feature like the Lilly but you can also do a bunch of other stuff as well. One of my guys bought one for himself and flew it all around the parking lot and over the river the other day. I think I'll have to buy one for myself.

I'm think the cargo release will make a great water balloon delivery system.

But, the big question is, are they 12 Ga birdshot resistant, lol.

Drones

Chicago just passed a city ordinance that prohibits flying a drone over personal property or people without their consent. Where, in Chicago, can you fly that's NOT over people? Another"feel good" law that will be impossible to enforce. Chicago seems to have a lot of those. Oh, maybe those waterproofs will come in handy over the lake!

I read an article in a county paper that basically said this.....

Ocean City NJ just passed a total ban on drones for a year.

Their way around common sense was banning them within 5 miles of their airport which pretty much eliminates the whole town.

Only change will come when the feds come up with laws that they can live with.

Chicago just passed a city ordinance that prohibits flying a drone over personal property or people without their consent. Where, in Chicago, can you fly that's NOT over people? Another"feel good" law that will be impossible to enforce. Chicago seems to have a lot of those. Oh, maybe those waterproofs will come in handy over the lake!

That's going be one heck of a peeing contest between the FAA and the city, and I can tell you the FAA is VERY protective and possessive of "their" airspace.

But then there was Meigs Field in Chicago where Mayor Daley ordered the runways torn up after the FAA said he couldn't close the airport because federal government funds had been used on it.

Daley basically told the FAA it was his city and he could do whatever he pleased. Maybe the current city government feels the same way.

That's going be one heck of a peeing contest between the FAA and the city, and I can tell you the FAA is VERY protective and possessive of "their" airspace.

From my research on this I believe that airspace in the US is controlled by the FAA and governed by Federal laws and not by local or state governments.

You can fly a drone within 5 miles of an airport if you contact them to let them know in advance. I've done this and flown my drone within 1.5 miles of an airport with no issues.

Richard

Waterproof drone sounds great!

I read lately that, as a licensed airplane pilot, I would be held to a stricter enforcement of rules regarding drone operations.

Also, FEDs are pushing to require all drones to be licensed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom