Old 04-18-2016, 06:40 PM   #1

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Ursa Major
Vessel Model: Malahide
Watering your boat

Another beautiful day here in Seattle. If we have many more of the these then the decks are going to suffer.

We rigged a sprinkler system, now ideally this would be spraying salt water however we are in the lake...

Has anyone had any luck with laying down some rock salt?

Malahide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:50 PM   #2
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I don't think that would work with a sprinkler system. For our normal drizzle, it would probably work great, but I think with a sprinkler you would flush the salt down the scuppers.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:53 PM   #3
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Why would one spray salt water on a boat? I've always washed my boat with fresh water. Who wants a build-up of salt crystals on their boat?

Old 04-18-2016, 08:07 PM   #4
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
In the summer months I lay a silver tarp several inches off the deck to s allow air under and shade the deck. Occasion have used a soaker hose, multi tiny holed to cool the deck. Right now still have the heavy white winter tarp on to protect from the cold rain and snow. We will not be back on until mid June. The boatnamny alarm showed the salon temp was 81 degree?
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:01 PM   #5
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Am I missing something here? We live in the desert on the eastern side of WA where temps routinely run in the 90's to 105.

What is the purpose of spraying your boat? I'm just curious because I've never heard of that or of adding salt.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:01 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Why would one spray salt water on a boat?
The answer to that is those with wood decks, it helps preserve them and keeping them lightly damp stops shrinkage..............
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:09 PM   #7
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Especially a wood deck on a wood boat. And a Malahide is one hell of a nice wood boat.

Salting the bilge I'm familiar with but salting the deck I thought was done with a mop and bucket. If saltwater is not available mixing salt into the fresh is done prior to swab duty. Purpose of the salt is to preserve the inner wood anywhere there may be water intrusion.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:14 PM   #8
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
This cracks me up.... everyone up here bitches to beat the band about the wet winter ..then a few days of sun and you guys are really that worried about your teak decks??

I'm just happy that mine are dry for a change to help get rid of all the green growth we were plagued with this winter..

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:18 PM   #9
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Up here in BC the fishermen used to put salt lick blocks on their cabin tops
to make the rain water salty as it ran over the boats. Salt preserves the wood.

Ted
Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:26 PM   #10
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Especially a wood deck on a wood boat. And a Malahide is one hell of a nice wood boat.

Salting the bilge I'm familiar with but salting the deck I thought was done with a mop and bucket. If saltwater is not available mixing salt into the fresh is done prior to swab duty. Purpose of the salt is to preserve the inner wood anywhere there may be water intrusion.
CP: Why salt the bilge?
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:36 PM   #11
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Comanche View Post
CP: Why salt the bilge?
Prevents rot

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:43 AM   #12
FF
Guru

"Salt preserves the wood."

"Prevents rot"

NO ,,,Its not the salt that helps,,, its the water.

As wood goes from saturated to dry it passes thru the moisture range that allows dry rot.

Have a dry chunk of wood it wont rot.,,keep it saturated and it wont rot.

Salt was the attempt to keep low cost fishing boats (much green wood) from rotting between uses.

Most of todays boats with wood parts die from leaks which saturate the wood and then slowly dry out , over and over . Windows,, PH , Fly bridge deck ,,,

A soaker hose from the garden center might keep a genuine all teak deck from shrinking , but it will probably just speed the demise of a teak overlay on plywood..TT style.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:05 AM   #13
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Having a teak decked boat in sunny and very warm places for about 7 years, this seems pretty darn silly to me.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:47 AM   #14
Guru

City: gulf coast
Ships were built with salt shelves just under the deck so that rain washed it down the hull sides. Is it just the bilge that needs salt?

Imo you don't help things by wetting with fresh water. I don't know if thorough drying once in a while is better or not.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:45 AM   #15
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Our type of "rot" requires distilled water, like dew or rain, to proliferate. It cant grow in saltwater or even fresh dock water, especially municipal water.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:40 AM   #16
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 44. It's not really the "type" of water that promotes rot, it's the bugs (microorganisms), mold and fungus. Salt is a natural sterilizer which minimizes growth of same. Likewise, municipal water has chlorine in it, another sterilizer. Eventually that chlorine will evaporate and you're left with bug fuel. Salt tends to stick around unless washed away by fresh water.

Oh, and rainwater is NOT distilled water.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:09 AM   #17
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Good for the wood but there's more to a wood boat than wood.

Think of all the metal that holds the wood boat together. And before you dismiss that there's a lot of it and it's very important not to mention expensive to replace. Best advice I've heard so far is the shade protection.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:23 AM   #18
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Back in my youth I lived in Florida for a while on a big ketch that had been built in England in the 1930s. We had awnings but also a daily routine of wetting down the teak decks with saltwater. The owner's claim was that this prevented leaks due to shrinkage of the teak decks. Our tool for doing this was a bucket on a rope :-)

Haven't thought about this since, but I can see some merit in this routine.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:57 AM   #19
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
You are correct RT, except I didnt say "type of water" I said type of rot. And yes when the chlorine evaps out of the muni water our type of rot can then use the moisture to continue its life cycle. Salt lasts much longer. The point is that boat rot must have a few things, fresh water (as in rain, dew, not just any water), the right temp and wood. missing any of those and it cant live. Wetting the decks with saltwater, or regularly washing with bleach/water helps to prevent the fungus from getting a foot hold, and slows the growth of existing rot. Good ventilation in enclosed areas is a big help as it dries the moisture that rot needs.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:05 PM   #20
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 44. I realize you stated type of "rot" BUT you also qualified type of water "...distilled water, like dew or rain..." as well. Just trying to clarify that ANY water will promote rot unless it contains a retardant (salt, chlorine etc.)