Old 12-02-2018, 04:29 PM   #1

City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: La Bella Vita
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
Watering system for batteries

I just installed a new bank of lead/acid batteries. The old bank was only 2 years old. The reason they went south is lack of water. I just purchased the boat in June. The po apparently did not check the water very often. It is a royal pain in the neck!

I've seen those watering systems on line and YouTube. You change out the caps with their caps and connect them together with a hose. Then you can run the end to a convenient spot and just pump the distilled water from a bottle and once all the cells are full, it stops taking water.

Any suggestions on brand? There are only a few. Some are brand specific, like Trojan. Others are universal.

Also, how do you determine the cap size?

This would make a once per month chore pretty quick and easy. That way it would get done.

I think the cost is around $250 for 24 cells plus the pump is $35.

Would appreciate any suggestions or advice. I don't want to replace those 135# batteries for 5 - 7 years!
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 05:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
These systems are much more prevalent in the RV world. You might get more feedback on some RV forums.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 05:56 PM   #3
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
You might want to test the charging system / battery charger to be sure that it is not over charging. If you have a battery charger is it a quality charger? You don’t want to ruin the new bank.
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:07 PM   #4

City: Saanich BC
Vessel Name: Therapi
Vessel Model: 1998 Bayliner 4087
Greetings. Installed two systems on my 4087 BayLiner. Check out Battery Watering Systems, Marine Dock Products, Solar Dock Lights. (1-616-846-3006) They have your answer. As for charging device check, yes do that as well.
Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:27 PM   #5
Guru

City: Mt Crested Butte
Vessel Name: Artemis
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 67
Always had them on my boats. Bought them from Jans water craft.
I had 14xL16's On my 65 C&L Had 10x T105's on My Cheo Lee 50 and about to install 10x L16"s on my new aquistion ( Cheoy Lee 65) All very simple to install. Just connected up every 2 weeks and pumped. Found I used a lot less water with them as well.
Martin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:33 PM   #6
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I think automatic watering systems are pretty silly. In both my boats as well as RV I never have to add water more than twice each year. Modern chargers keep from overcharging and boiling water out!!!

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:50 PM   #7
Scraping Paint

City: CT
They're very common for when the bank is in an awkward spot.

All FLA properly charged will need topping up, bubbling & offgassing is perfectly normal and in fact healthy toward the end as 100% Full is approached, and while equalizing.

Trojan makes ones fit other brands.

Flow-rite is one brand I've encountered a fair bit.

The ones with individual valves per cell connected with hoses will be more universal, but watch out for hole diameter.

Also still check manually once in a while, especially in the beginning, sometimes need tweaking.

There are also caps that "recycle" the vapour, so need topping up less frequently.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:57 PM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
How much water you will use is a function of level of discharge and how many times per month. When I was doing the Great Loop, there were periods of up to two weeks straight where I was anchoring out, discharging the bank 15 to 20% each night, and then recharging the next day while underway. Watering once a month was fine. Waiting 2 to 3 months would likely have exposed the top of the plates.

While I like the idea of just dealing with one watering point, the paranoid side of me would be worrying about something unseen going wrong. I've resolved myself to doing it once a month and filling each individual cell. Kind of a forced discipline to inspect and check for abnormal water use in one cell, battery, or series of batteries.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:46 PM   #9

City: Toronto ON
Maybe a pain, but I too, want to know where the water is going, so I have an idea what each battery/cell is up to...
Roamer Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:52 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamer Blue View Post
Maybe a pain, but I too, want to know where the water is going, so I have an idea what each battery/cell is up to...
Me too, and mine are very accessible so I do, but if they are not a system may help. FWIW, I have a set of Water Miser caps on one FLA 8D,and I don`t think it makes a lot of difference to water consumption.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:15 PM   #11
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Me too, and mine are very accessible so I do, but if they are not a system may help. FWIW, I have a set of Water Miser caps on one FLA 8D,and I don`t think it makes a lot of difference to water consumption.
Me 4. Flashlight, safety glasses, funnel and rubber gloves.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:24 PM   #12
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Slight thread drift...One of these is ideal for topping up batteries. Automatic stop BUT not 100% automatic. You still have to watch carefully. Still a heck of a lot easier than bending over fill caps and adding bit by bit.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b.../4614417?pos=0

Old 12-02-2018, 08:34 PM   #13
Guru

A head torch is handy checking batts,that way you have a free hand. I use the small pouring "jug" that comes with the domestic iron usually used by "her indoors" (ref to "Minder") to add demineralized water, but I have very good access(though not to the stern gland under the batts).
And RTF, I cannot read the name "O`Reilly" without thinking of Fawlty Towers"
Old 12-02-2018, 08:42 PM   #14
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. BK. I cannot read the name "Bunnings" without thinking of...

Old 12-02-2018, 09:01 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. BK. I cannot read the name "Bunnings" without thinking of...

Not enough pixelation! But it is "n" twice, not "m" once.
Bunnings is owned by Wesfarmers Ltd(in which I disclose a very minor indirect stockholding). Good organization,but recently bombed out in UK trying to set up there.The range of gas powered water blasters was a surprise, probably bought by house exterior cleaners. Some are really powerful, would sure clean that guy`s butt.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:58 AM   #16
FF
Guru

The simplest , if you have the space is the hydrocaps.

The comments concerning batt use , charge & discharge are spot on.More discharge , more recharge , more water used.

Also sadly the faster you recharge , the more water is consumed , although the hydrocaps are a great help.

Hydrocap |

hydrocapcorp.com/
Recharging a lead-acid battery The electrolyte in lead-acid batteries is a dilute solution of sulfuric acid in water. As the lead-acid cell reaches a full state of ...‎Products · ‎About Us · ‎Contact Us · ‎Store
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:21 AM   #17
Guru

City: gulf coast
That filler that RTF shows is what I use. Never over fills and I don't have to be able to look into the batt.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:35 AM   #18
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
I am afraid I am in Ted's camp and want to see and be assured each cell is full. I have two of the watering jugs that RTF shows and use one on the boat and the other for the golf cart. Doesn't take that long although I have better access in this boat than our previous and don't work out the bad knees near as much
Old 12-05-2018, 10:46 AM   #19

City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: La Bella Vita
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
I appreciate all the ideas!
My batteries are not very accessible at all. I can get a funnel with a rubber hose to reach each cell. About 1/2 of them I can actually look into. The rest, not so much.
I looked at my charger, not sure what I am looking at. I guess I need to get down there with a voltmeter and check to see if the gauge matches the real number. If it's at 13.5v on a trickle charge, that should be OK.
I need to install 1 more gauge anyway, maybe just do all 4? New gauges, watering system, I'm golden!
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:58 AM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
The other solution is to install AGM batteries and never worry about filling them ever again. You don't need to remove them in the winter, or keep them on a trickle charger. I shut my battery switch off and 6 months later, turn it on and I have lights, stereo, etc. immediately available. AGM have miniscule amp loss when isolated.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote