Old 03-19-2015, 11:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Mustang 3800
Water Usage

Hi All,

New member here but I am interested in what people allow for general water usage per day per person. I can hold 400litres in my tank and am looking at cruising/fishing for 10 days with a mate. Would an allowance of 20litres per day per person (Does not include drinking water as I will buy bottled water for this) be enough. I would think its just a shower every day or 2 and washing up with a bit of cooking thrown in as well. Should I carry extra drums of water but I will say space is going to be limited with all the extra onboard.

Cheers
Dave

Biggusstickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:32 AM   #2
Guru

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
Water Usage

We have a 250 gallon water tank used for daily showers, freshwater head, filtered drinking water, cooking, washing dishes, and a daily pot of coffee. At that rate it lasts the two of us a week. We could easily be more conservative to make it last longer if necessary, except for the coffee 😄.

drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 01:22 AM   #3
Guru

Dave, Welcome aboard, Biggusstickus. English comedian Frankie Howerd played a part in a comedy with a Roman character, with an almost similar name.
Water consumption is a personal thing, it`s amazing how little you need to shower if you wet, soap, rinse, turning the water off in between steps. Do it and see, extra in 20L containers might be a good idea. Buy your bottled water in 10L and greater containers, cheap as, at supermarkets. It`s a 38ft boat with 2 pob, there must be spare space.
I`d suggest a swim, but I see you`re in Tassie.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 01:28 AM   #4

City: Port Havelock
Vessel Name: Siesta
Vessel Model: Pelin Sterling 36
We have 600 litres on board Siesta and no problem with 5 guys on board for 5 days, with a shower every second day.

"To fish or not to fish, what a silly question. "
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Dave, Welcome aboard, Biggusstickus. English comedian Frankie Howerd played a part in a comedy with a Roman character, with an almost similar name.
Water consumption is a personal thing, it`s amazing how little you need to shower if you wet, soap, rinse, turning the water off in between steps. Do it and see, extra in 20L containers might be a good idea. Buy your bottled water in 10L and greater containers, cheap as, at supermarkets. It`s a 38ft boat with 2 pob, there must be spare space.
I`d suggest a swim, but I see you`re in Tassie.
Hi Bruce,
I used to play a lot of snooker so I crossed the name with the infamous roman character in Monty Pythons "Life of Bryan" and hence the name lol.

I could find some room I guess but taking extra 400l of fuel plus extra Waceo coolers etc is going to take a lot of space but your right Im sure I could fit extra 20L drums. We hope to head down the South West which in Summer would be ok for a dip but after March forget it... too cold without the wetsuit!!

I'm thinking the general consensus so far is that it should be fine with a little backup. Thanks guys.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:50 AM   #6
FF
Guru

10L per person is an easy to do minimum , but will require a different mindset from dirt house living.

No big deal, just a mind set to turn off the tap , and let nothing run down the drain without use.

On a simple cruiser ,(no dishwasher or washing machine ), simple techniques will help.

One is to rinse dishes with a pitcher , filled from the tap .

Should dish washing become a problem , a salt water pump and faucet can be at the sink for food prep, dish washing , etc , with only a Fresh rinse .

A solar shower takes the wondering out of water use , and heats up quite well.

After a bit of practice , you will be shocked at how little water is really required.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:14 AM   #7
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
The dirt living standard for water usage is 100 gallons per day per person. That standard has been around for over 2,500 years and goes back to the design of the aquaducts in Roman times. That being said, one can usually conserve and get down to 10-15 liters per day. Dish washing uses the most. Catch rain water and shower in the rain if possible.

dan
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:08 AM   #8
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
The dirt living standard for water usage is 100 gallons per day per person. That standard has been around for over 2,500 years and goes back to the design of the aquaducts in Roman times. That being said, one can usually conserve and get down to 10-15 liters per day. Dish washing uses the most. Catch rain water and shower in the rain if possible.

dan
Our house is on a well, and while we have a very productive well, far more than the majority of our neighbors, we try to conserve water by using low flow fixtures, toilets, dishwasher and clothes washer. Best I can tell we use no more then 50 gallons of water per day per person. I suspect it is closer to 25 gallons, maybe even less, most days and we could use far less if we really tried/needed too.

Most of our water usage is likely showers and clothes washing, especially the later, since we have two kids. Having said that, our washing machine uses a maximum of about 10 gallons a load but that washing machine never seems to stop.

Our showers use not quite a 1 GPM, I know because I measured. I don't like waste and it shocked me when we were in Hong Kong to see how much water was being used in the shower! Even in the hotel in mainland China, the shower head used too much water.

The boat we want has 250 gallons of water on board which I think we could make last a very long time without much effort and no lack of cleanliness.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:35 AM   #9
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. Big. You're making this much more complicated than it needs be mate. Don't shower and use the extra capacity to carry...

If anyone smells bad, you're not drinking enough.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:10 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
OK, our water usage is based on a concept that I do not want to compromise or conserve. I want to be able to live on my boat the same way as at home.

Based on that premise, we have found that two people on our boat use approx 50 gallons per day total. We bather every day and our showers are normal length.

If we use the clothes washer that takes an additional 20 gallons or so per load.

We have a 7 GPH watermaker which runs on DC so water is not an issue.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:31 PM   #11
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I can go on 5gal/day with a shower each day, not being particularly stingy, but not wasting either.

Get girls on the boat and forget it.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
We live in a sailboat world where a third if not half do not have watermakers. 20 liters per day per person is on the conservative side i.e. you are really trying to save water. Can be done and is done all the time.

Suggest you think about capturing rain water and having a couple of 20 liter jugs to get water when you can on shore. Biggest issue will be the showers.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:58 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
We find we use about 15-20 gals (55-75L) per day with 2 onboard and hold 75 gallons (285L). We take navy showers and don't let the water run needlessly. I installed these

on our galley and head faucets so we can set the water temperature, then toggle the water on and off as needed. It helps us save lots of water, especially when washing dishes.

Our head and anchor washdown are saltwater, so no effects there on our FW use.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:29 PM   #14
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
can you swim or use salt water every other day instead of shower every day
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:47 PM   #15
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
We've been spoiled by our water maker. We take multiple showers a day, wash clothes, wash the dink, and whatever other FW needs we need. May have to add a second for redundancy.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:06 PM   #16
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Water Usage

We hold 350 gallons and have a little over 30% left after 10 days with fairly careful water use: navy showers every 2nd day, recovery of water when and where possible, don't let hot water run to get hot etc. The main head is freshwater flush to the waste tank, and "pees" are flushed straight over board with the 2nd head that is raw-water flush. I'm not sure how accurate the electric tank tender gauges are--they seem to drop down slowly until 50% then drop more rapidly after that. We only run the washer when we are planning a trip to a marina that has water.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:18 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. Big. You're making this much more complicated than it needs be mate. Don't shower and use the extra capacity to carry...

If anyone smells bad, you're not drinking enough.
Well that solves everything. I shall now fill the 400l water tank with the scotch and take a couple of bottles of water
Old 03-21-2015, 02:23 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
We live in a sailboat world where a third if not half do not have watermakers. 20 liters per day per person is on the conservative side i.e. you are really trying to save water. Can be done and is done all the time.

Suggest you think about capturing rain water and having a couple of 20 liter jugs to get water when you can on shore. Biggest issue will be the showers.
Thanks but our rainfall is a bit too unpredictable for this. Could go a month or more without rain where I live.
The trip I want to do is just a one off 2 week trip, most trips I do are between 2-5 days and we never have a water issue over that time period.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:27 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
can you swim or use salt water every other day instead of shower every day
The water temp is very cold where I am going in the Autumn months so swimming is not really an option unless wetsuits are used.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:32 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
We've been spoiled by our water maker. We take multiple showers a day, wash clothes, wash the dink, and whatever other FW needs we need. May have to add a second for redundancy.
I have not done a lot of research on water makers, the ones we use at work make around 100kl per day which is very handy.
At a guess the smaller ones for a cruiser/trawler would start around 4k USD would that be right?
How much room do they take up?