Old 03-21-2015, 01:53 AM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Mustang 3800
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
We hold 350 gallons and have a little over 30% left after 10 days with fairly careful water use: navy showers every 2nd day, recovery of water when and where possible, don't let hot water run to get hot etc. The main head is freshwater flush to the waste tank, and "pees" are flushed straight over board with the 2nd head that is raw-water flush. I'm not sure how accurate the electric tank tender gauges are--they seem to drop down slowly until 50% then drop more rapidly after that. We only run the washer when we are planning a trip to a marina that has water.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Thanks Jim,

How many people on board for those figures?

The head is Salt water and we usually just pee off the stern if no one is around which is most of the time. We usually BBQ so not a lot of washing up to do which is good. I hope just one clothes wash each during the trip as will take extra clothing.
Biggusstickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:48 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggusstickus View Post
Thanks but our rainfall is a bit too unpredictable for this. Could go a month or more without rain where I live.
The trip I want to do is just a one off 2 week trip, most trips I do are between 2-5 days and we never have a water issue over that time period.
If this is a one time event see if you can find somewhere to fill up with water mid trip. If not available consider doing what the sailors do, put jugs of water on deck. Go for another 100 liters.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:21 AM   #23
FF
Guru

"How much room does it take up?"

Is the third question.

First is how much power does it require , for how long.?

Second is what is the maint requirements, in use , in storage , and switching from sea water to brackish , to fresh?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:03 AM   #24
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
JDCAVE: The Ulysses water gauge is similar-goes down faster when below 50%. The reason is that the sending unit is float based and the water tank is integral to the hull shape. Six inches of water at the top of the tank is a lot more than six inches of water at the bottom of the tank. I would suppose the KK is the same or at least conforms to the hull shape. Then again my fuel gauge in my truck does the same thing and its pretty much a rectangle.
dan
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:18 AM   #25
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
On a simple cruiser ,(no dishwasher or washing machine ), simple techniques will help.

One is to rinse dishes with a pitcher , filled from the tap .

Could rinse dishes in sea water, before washing...

-Chris
Old 03-21-2015, 09:18 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggusstickus View Post
I have not done a lot of research on water makers, the ones we use at work make around 100kl per day which is very handy.
At a guess the smaller ones for a cruiser/trawler would start around 4k USD would that be right?
How much room do they take up?
You can get the Katadyn 40E watermaker for $3600 at Defender.com

For alll the money we blow on our boats I have difficulty comprehending the sacrifices people make in their daily habits while aboard, for lack of this relativly small investment.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:05 PM   #27
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
We find we use about 15-20 gals (55-75L) per day with 2 onboard and hold 75 gallons (285L). We take navy showers and don't let the water run needlessly. I installed these

on our galley and head faucets so we can set the water temperature, then toggle the water on and off as needed. It helps us save lots of water, especially when washing dishes.

Our head and anchor washdown are saltwater, so no effects there on our FW use.

Can you provide a link on where you purchased this? I can see how this would really cut water usage washing dishes, thank you.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:23 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
Can you provide a link on where you purchased this? I can see how this would really cut water usage washing dishes, thank you.
I got mine from my water company, but here's one like it at Amazon. A google search might find better alternatives for your boat.

Note that some only slow the water to a trickle, not a complete OFF. My head sink is like that and my galley sink goes almost completely OFF - just a slow drip every 5-10 seconds to remind us that the water's still turned ON. It's a great help while washing dishes. We get 180+ degree water out of the hot side and need to be very careful when setting the water temp. Once that's done, this little gem allows us to toggle ON/OFF with ease.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:39 PM   #29
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Thank you, I'am going to order one for the galley next time I get anything from Amazon.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:16 PM   #30
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
One of the very best things we added to our boat was a Watercounter, telling us exactly what our usage was. This way we could measure what various lengths of shower took, as well as various cycles of the dishwasher and laundry, toilet flushes (freshwater vacuflush), and so on. We lived full time away from the dock (mooring or anchor) for a month or two or three at a time. We could get down to 10 gallons a day very easily with Navy showers, short cycle dishwashing and laundry every few days, and so on. 20 gallons very comfortable. Before we got an accurate water usage device, I thought a watermaker was in our immediate future, but then found the money much better spent on diesel fuel. (BTW, had 350 gallon tank).

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote