Water Maker Install

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whether the prospective water maker is a luxury or a necessity may determine some of the choices for you. We chose to cruise with two and use one underway and the other at anchor. The pickup for one is forward and in big seas it sucks up air so it is less than ideal for use underway. The other is aft and 4' below the waterline. One of our units is self contained and automatic, while the other is modular and manual. One runs off 240 ac the other runs off our batteries via our inverter on 120vac. Both output 35 gph at 78 degrees and use 1500 watts of energy per hour which equates 42 watts to make one gallon of Ro water. At anchor alchemy for us sometimes means a gallon of diesel turns into 70 gallons of drinking water in an hour. Nice luxury when everything is working but that doesn't always happen. 35 gph will require at least two long membranes and I'd avoid installing them anywhere near the engine as Hp can leaks can atomize the air with saltwater. Maintenance tasks such as filter and oil changes should also be a consideration during your design and install.

Both output 35 gph at 78 degrees and use 1500 watts of energy per hour which equates 42 watts to make one gallon of Ro water.].

I think you dropped a unit, hours? 42W/h for a gallon of RO water? Hmmm.... that seems quite impressive. A quick google search says that's in the ballpark of municipal plants.

Probably cheaper for most cruisers to buy water than to have a watermaker. Convenience of course is an issue. Also at times the unavailability of shore based water (two of the last five years in St. Lucia). Also you are then required to move the boat whether or not you want to move to get water. Not always the easiest thing to do.

It depends on your cruising grounds, most boats in the Eastern Caribbean have watermakers, very few in the Great Lakes.

I am not in the cruiser category so my thoughts most likely are different from cruisers pertaining to water. The few times that I had to haul water from a dock spigot to the boat was a PITA and the water was free. So for those who suggest "just pay for it" is only half the real cost. The other half involves hauling and then getting it into the boat's tank.

And yes, if you're going to spend for a watermaker, it is wise to not think about anything less than 20gal/hr.

I installed my own in components. It is only 8 gph. I used the salt water wash down through hull. Unit was $5,000.

Right now in the Exumas water is between 60c and 90c per gallon.

So $7K would buy you between 7,777 and 11,666 gallons.

If you use 100 gallons a day, that is between 77 and 116 days, double that if you only use 50 gallons a day - 144 and 232 days.

We are spending 3 months in the Exumas in the spring. That's 90 days. Most of the cost will be recovered pretty quickly at those rates.

I have a 350 gallon tank.

Yeah, but if you only go once it might not be worth the up front expense.

Plus water in the Exumas is more like .40 to .60 a gallon.

In my opinion using an avoided cost to justify a watermaker probably does not work out.

What does work out is that with a functioning watermaker you do not need to conserve.

• If you want a 20 minute shower... Great.
  • If you want to wash the salt crusties off of the windows so you get a fantastic view...Great
  • If you want to do laundry at sea...Great.
  • If you want to spend a week or more away from port without worrying if you are running low on water...Great
  • If you do not want to drink municipal water with all of the chemicals, and impurities...Even Greater... :)

What I do is to take a couple gallon jugs and fill them up from the watermaker test outlet every day. That way we drink only pure, fresh water. Water that has never been in a tank. Water that is just water.

The convience factor that a watermaker provides is far greater than any dollar figure can describe. We boated for a long time without a watermaker. Now that we've gotten used to one, we cant imagine how things used to be.

In my opinion using an avoided cost to justify a watermaker probably does not work out.

What does work out is that with a functioning watermaker you do not need to conserve.

• If you want to wash the salt crusties off of the windows so you get a fantastic view...Great
  • If you want to spend a week or more away from port without worrying if you are running low on water...Great
  • If you do not want to drink municipal water with all of the chemicals, and impurities...Even Greater... :)

What I do is to take a couple gallon jugs and fill them up from the watermaker test outlet every day. That way we drink only pure, fresh water. Water that has never been in a tank. Water that is just water.

The convience factor that a watermaker provides is far greater than any dollar figure can describe. We boated for a long time without a watermaker. Now that we've gotten used to one, we cant imagine how things used to be.

All this I agree with. We used to take "boat showers" on our last boat because usually there were between 5-8 people on board and only a 100 gallon tank. Now we are getting used to full hot running showers, washing machine, dishwasher, and running the waste disposal etc. etc. so want to continue this lifestyle!

As to the question of only one time? Nope. 2017 is the full-trial mode for the boat. This trip to the Exumas and up and down the SE. Anchoring out is our preference.

Then starting spring 2018 we do the loop, off and on for a couple of years. Even on the loop we expect to be anchoring the vast majority of the time. On the times we have to go in for fuel I do not want to be adding time at the fuel dock to do a water fill.

Back home for a year, probably some work that needs to be done on her then in 2021 we want to do the islands all the way down to the ABCs and back.

That takes us to 2023ish, God and health willing.

Longer term we would love to do a Panama Canal trip, Sea of Cortez and the NW. But that is the Utopian dream.

So yeah, I believe we will get our money's worth as well as support the lifestyle! :)

Love the idea of clear water into jugs. We use fruit infuser jugs so that would be even better!

Last edited:
On the small end of the scale, I installed a Village LW 160 that makes about 6+ Gal/hour. It's DC and draws around 10 amps. Components are modular , bulkhead mounted and out of the way. No problems in 6 years of use. I run it when we're traveling to top up the tank, and then fill the tank with marina water when we're at the dock. Works great for us.

Designed and built my own, it's not rocket science. 20gph, AC powered, $3000 all told.

Where you need/want a water maker, and where you can/should run it are also important considerations.

Cruising locations and style have a huge impact on how badly you need/want a water maker. If you are in marinas every night, or every other night, you will probably not have any need for a water maker, even if you have to pay a lot for water. But if you anchor out for days at a time, or cruise in remote areas, having a water maker can make all the difference in the world. Last summer we were out for a straight 4 weeks with no docks, no towns, and no sources of fresh water other than our water maker. That trip was awesome, but would have been impossible, or at least uncomfortable, without a water maker. In contrast, when cruising the eastern seaboard, we were in marinas frequently and seldom used the water maker.

As for where you can/should run a water maker, it should ideally be in open, clear water. Places that would be good to avoid would be the Chesapeake, Long Island Sound, and all of the ICW. We traveled from Mass to Florida and didn't run the water maker at all, and I wouldn't have wanted to. But in the Bahamas we ran it all the time. And I definitely would NOT run it in any river system. There is just way too much silt. Also, running in brackish or fresh water requires special attention, and may not be doable at all with some water makers.

So for your ICW and Great Loop adventures, I wouldn't count on much of any use from the water maker, But in open water, the Bahamas, and anyplace north of Long Island Sound, it should work great.

You'r thoughts on how great RO water is appear to be based on at least a couple of fallacies.

One that pure RO water is the healthiest water you can drink.

And two that municipal water is automatically worse for you than RO water.

RO water tends to be acidic and totally lacking in minerals.
Two things that are not necessarily good for you.

"The production of water on ships can be associated with its own potential health problems. Ships can produce their own water by several different processes, such as reverse osmosis or evaporation of seawater. Desalination demineralizes seawater, which can make it more corrosive, shortening the life of containers and conduits. Desalinated water may also cause health impacts associated with insufficient minerals in seafarers' diets or the consumption of dissolved metals (e.g. lead, nickel, iron, cadmium or copper) from corrosion products. Desalinated water may also be considered bland, flavourless and unacceptable by passengers and crew."

http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/43193/1/9789241546690_eng.pdf

So for those who suggest "just pay for it" is only half the real cost. The other half involves hauling and then getting it into the boat's tank.

No hoses on the fuel dock?

I pull in once a month and get $500 in diesel, dump rubbish and fill water tanks.
No extra charge for the last two.
Full water tanks give us 5 to 6 weeks of drinking,daily showers, fresh water flush toilet and weekly washing machine usage.

Wow. How big is your tank?
2 x 1500 L in the lazaret - these are the ones we use.
2 x 1000 L in the storage space fwd of that (full but not currently connected)
And 1 x 1500 in the bows connected to deck wash y valve ( fresh/salt)

You'r thoughts on how great RO water is appear to be based on at least a couple of fallacies.

One that pure RO water is the healthiest water you can drink.

And two that municipal water is automatically worse for you than RO water.

RO water tends to be acidic and totally lacking in minerals.
Two things that are not necessarily good for you.

"The production of water on ships can be associated with its own potential health problems. Ships can produce their own water by several different processes, such as reverse osmosis or evaporation of seawater. Desalination demineralizes seawater, which can make it more corrosive, shortening the life of containers and conduits. Desalinated water may also cause health impacts associated with insufficient minerals in seafarers' diets or the consumption of dissolved metals (e.g. lead, nickel, iron, cadmium or copper) from corrosion products. Desalinated water may also be considered bland, flavourless and unacceptable by passengers and crew."

http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/43193/1/9789241546690_eng.pdf

Bill... :)

I've had a watermaker for several years, and love the taste of the water that a RO system produces.

I won't drink municipal water. Not at home, and not in the boat. I suspect based on the size of the bottled water industry un the US that I'm not alone in this thought.

As far as the mineral content of RO water and the trace minerals that are lacking, well, I guess a balanced diet will probably supply those.

As far as the metal content of RO water, as your article indicates that is based on a theory of contamination from corrosion. That theory just does not pan out on my boat. My drinking water goes directly from the RO unit to a PTFE free plastic container. Even if it went to my boats tank... That and the piping, fittings etc... are all plastic so no corrosion there. I would also suspect that s the case with the vast majority of recreational boats in the fleet.

Nope, the benefits far and exceed any perceived risk. :)

No hoses on the fuel dock?

I pull in once a month and get $500 in diesel, dump rubbish and fill water tanks.
No extra charge for the last two.
Full water tanks give us 5 to 6 weeks of drinking,daily showers, fresh water flush toilet and weekly washing machine usage.

How much tankage do you have? Once a month? WOW! We have a 100 gallon tank onboard which will last about a week IF WE CONSERVE. And there are no dock hoses at the anchorages.

OK, I just saw where you posted your tankage. WOW!!!!!

6500 LITERS=1428 GALLONS @ 8.36#/GAL = 11938# OR NEARLY 6 TONS OF WATER!!!

Have you ever taken the time to calculate the cost of fuel to lug all that water around???? You are a candidate for a large watermaker

Last edited:
To each his own of course.

But pure water is basically tasteless with out minerals in it.

And bottled waters are a bit of a scam as far as the quality of the water in the bottle goes. A lot of marketing has gone into selling people on the idea that bottled water is somehow better and/or safer for you than most tap water.

I'm not trying to tell anyone to not drink RO water, I drink it all the time, I'm just trying to point out that it's not the end all, be all of waters that some may think it is.

Like everything it has its pluses and minuses.

The first bottle water - Evian.

Now spell it backwards! :)

2 x 1500 L in the lazaret - these are the ones we use.
2 x 1000 L in the storage space fwd of that (full but not currently connected)
And 1 x 1500 in the bows connected to deck wash y valve ( fresh/salt)

oh boy you cary a lac on you boat...:thumb: that why you going one time by month to water dock :D

oh boy you cary a lac on you boat...:thumb: that why you going one time by month to water dock :D

And emptying over 1000 gallons from a dock hose surely does not make the the dock manager happy. Just imagine being next in line behind him. That is a lot of water. To put a sense of reality to this much mooching, consider that our apartments cost us $100/month/apartment for water and sewer. I don't know how various marinas are charged for their consumption. For example, the sewer charge is normally based on the water meter reading.

Simi really should consider a watermaker

Have you ever taken the time to calculate the cost of fuel to lug all that water around???? You are a candidate for a large watermaker

She's a converted commercial trawler designed to carry weight
She also carries 7000 litres of diesel

My mates 65 ft trawler carries a lot more than us, told me the other day his aft diesel tanks alone carry 20,000 litres.

As for fuel burn, we both have nt855 cummins.
He has done the numbers on his using instruments on a recent long trip and says he burns 15lph at 1300rpm doing 8knots
My calcs are a bit cruder using electrical ties on sight glass but my calcs are similar at around 400 litres for 200 nm on average doing 1250rpm doing 8.3 knots.

Both equate to around 2 litres/nm which I consider pretty good for a 70 tonne liveaboard.

And emptying over 1000 gallons from a dock hose surely does not make the the dock manager happy. Just imagine being next in line behind him.

I do my fill mid week when the docks are empty or at night at a 24 hour credit card fuel dock.
I have never had anyone waiting to get in.

As for water cost in Australia we get charged about 40c/1000 litres on our houshold water bills so effectively I am getting $1 worth of water but spending $500 on fuel.
I am happy to pay $1 if they ask.

Last edited:
We traveled all up and down the East Coast ICW and the Bahamas. Made water everywhere. You need a unit that lets you adjust the back pressure on the membrane to compensate for the salinity. As far as silty water goes, yes it will plug your pre filters more often, that's why you want a pressure gauge on the inlet side of the high pressure pump. The idea that you can only make make water while on open water is BS.

I do my fill mid week when the docks are empty or at night at a 24 hour credit card fuel dock.
I have never had anyone waiting to get in.

As for water cost in Australia we get charged about 40c/1000 litres on our houshold water bills so effectively I am getting $1 worth of water but spending $500 on fuel.
I am happy to pay $1 if they ask.

:flowers:

We traveled all up and down the East Coast ICW and the Bahamas. Made water everywhere. You need a unit that lets you adjust the back pressure on the membrane to compensate for the salinity. As far as silty water goes, yes it will plug your pre filters more often, that's why you want a pressure gauge on the inlet side of the high pressure pump. The idea that you can only make make water while on open water is BS.

:thumb:

+2. The biggest thing to watch out for is oil. Even a sheen will kill a membrane in seconds.

+2. The biggest thing to watch out for is oil. Even a sheen will kill a membrane in seconds.

Yeah but only if your raw water pick up for the RO unit is close to the surface.

There are also oily water prefilters you can use if you are going to be making water in say harbors often.

We have used ours in a variety of conditions I never thought I would. Unfortunately some of the harbors I have been in were just "dirty". But couldn't justify going offshore and getting beat up just to make water! Big issue here in Panama is the rain, 4" overnight and the water looks pretty crappy for a few days. After having some "intestinal distress" early in our trip (Mexico), we do not use dock water anymore. So unfortunately we run ours in a Marina environment from time to time.

Hell, on occasion my wife doesn't realize I'm making water and flushes the head after #2, sometimes a cruiser in the harbor will pump fuel etc. in the water upwind unbeknownst to me while it is running (our pick up is deep so we can run it in rough seas). Have not had a single problem, but do monitor pre filter pressures and they do clog up earlier in harbors. $2 problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom