water intrusion/rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RTF is right, as usual. Usually the teak is "ratshit"(Aussie term of art), thinned,cracking,worn,with myriad screwholes.It often has sealant/adhesive under it,it gets scraped and chipped off, broken,fragmented, etc. Very unlikely to be saved.
Work after removal involves repairing the core as necessary,filling every screwhole,and an extra layer, or two, of fiberglass, to replace the stiffening the teak provides, followed by fairing the surface. Then you can paint,or lay more teak if the budget allows,or maybe a teak substitute.
You might need to ditch the love of teak decking.

I have come to believe you all are right, I am going to look at 3 boats next week, all with the teak having been removed. down the road I can always put in the synthetic teak decking if my budget allows.

I have an 87 sun deck, no teak thankfully IMO. I have some soft spots as a result of PO leaving holes unsealed. I have subsequent stopped the water intrusion via caulking, sealing and rebedding hardware and dried it out with heaters below
I have always been curious as to why folks would spend thousands of $$$ and time to recore etc, when in lots of cases soft decks are not really a structural issue.
Mine are not at issue if I had a preference I would love to have a perfect 1987 boat that would cost hundreds of thousands to replace and only pay 30/40k for it but my life reality doesn’t support that as realistic.
Now stringers, rusted leaking tanks defective electrics and essential mechanical system parts not working that’s another story. That’s not my case, I’d rather be “cruising” than recore decks etc.
I knew all this when I bought my boat, seems sort of unrealistic to think you would find/get a 30+ year old boat, perfect, no issues and all for relative deminimus boating chump change. Just another perspective.

A small area or rot will spread if untreated just like woodrot or rust. Harmless rot in decking material will spread to areas around windows, into the headliner, and possibly to the stringers.

You may have stopped it by drying it out but maybe not. I can tell you that there's still moisture in there. I'd recommend drilling a few holes around the problem area from underneath to allow for any additional drainage. If you know you're not going to recore anytime it's a good idea to at least mark everything and keep a vigilant eye out.. It's not like it happens fast.

I have recored my backdeck and flybridge but I can tell you that I certainly still have rot in other places but I have isolated the rot as best as possible until I can repair later on. I've been shocked everytime at how much additional rot or how much water is in places I thought would be dry. I'm also not going to rebuild the whole damn boat either.

I too chose the boat that's ready to cruise and I feel like that's the best fit for most cruisers and especially people who are going to liveaboard or spend extended time on the boat.

My problem is that I use my boat for daytrips mostly so by the time i can get somewhere on a job I spend just as much time packing everything up as I do on repairing(if that makes sense). If I stayed on the boat a month I could do a year worth of repairs without feeling rushed.

Last edited:
i have been searching for an 80s trawler for two years now. have driven from minnesota to florida, texas to maine. have walked away from two boats after survey. i cannot find a trawler without water intrusion in the cabins, rot in the cabin walls or high moisture content in either the stringers or cabin roof/deck.
i really want one with the teak decks intact. has anyone found a relatively simple way to eliminate rot without cutting the boat apart and redoing all the deck or cabin walls. i am not afraid of , and capable of, redoing the interior walls, just not sure about redoing the decks.
i am currently still looking and have a couple to look at but from the photos i can see the cabin walls have water damage.
my budget is limitedto $50,000. or less
love to find a 36, double cabin, single screw with a thruster, gen and heat/ac

There are boats out there. Suggest you contact Dale Norton at dale@curtisstokes.net

Another source on the web is “Dry Boat”

When I was a teen in the late 70s, I lived next door to the Marine Trader distributor in New England and I worked in his yard. I can tell you some funny stories about the way the new boats would come in - but that's a story for another thread. My job was doing the prep - mostly cosmetic before delivery to the customer. Hours of sanding and oiling the teak. That time in my life did three things 1) it gave me a lifelong desire to own a boat like these, 2) made me fall in love with the Polynesian themed internal woodwork, and 3) made me know that I wanted as little exterior teak on a boat as possible. Add the problems mentioned with water intrusion, rot, and the resulting soft decks and houses that absorb so much water that the boat literally sits several inches lower than its waterline - and I'll pass on the teak decks.

While I still would like to have one of these romantic old boats, I'd need for the teak decks to be replaced, windows replaced or sealed (and any water damage remediated, and the fuel tanks would need to be replaced with SS units if I were going to take the plunge. I just can't imagine breaking my neck at the office all week and then restoring an old boat's wood and decks on weekends.

But I completely get the beauty of the boats when properly maintained and refurbished as needed. I'm just not the guy to do it.

Good luck on your search. Stay with it. I'm sure the right boat is out there for you!

Last edited:
We had a similar problem before purchasing our 1987 Californian 380. We did 4-6 surveys before buying. Our price range was also $50k. We should have raised budget instead of spending $$ on surveys. What you are probably finding are 36' Mainships. All in your price range. We're not ready to sell yet but keep us in mind. Twin natural Cats 2K hrs, gen, 3 zone HVAC. Modern electronics, new heat exchangers, sun deck. This is my wife's boat, I just pilot it. Rmember--if the buy think they paid too much and the seller sold for too little, it must be a good deal.

Invest in a decent Moisture meter and become familiar with the relative scales. Even a Tramex Skipper ($500+) will pay for itself the first time in saved Survey expenses by ruling out boats before u sign an offer with sea trial & survey at your (further) expense.

Flatswing, I'm sure your advice is well-intentioned, however, proper use of a moisture meter isn't something you pick up in a few hours, it's a skill that's learned from experience and from others who know how to use it successfully. It truly takes hundreds of readings to become completely comfortable with what the meter is telling you, and even then you should still have some doubt.

When I ran a boat yard we did a great deal of core repair work, and we made extensive use of moisture meters. There's nothing like taking a series of readings on a deck or cabin top, and then cutting it open and seeing what you hoped the meter was telling you was right. While I'd definitely call them an invaluable tool, they are not fool-proof, for instance they will read a block of ice as dry (I've seen surveyors take readings on hulls in sub-freezing weather), and a metal (think backing plate or tank, or screen embedded for an SSB counterpoise)on the other side of the surface you are reading as wet.

In the work I do now I travel with two identical Tramex meters, which I use to confirm readings that don't necessarily seem right. I trust them 95% of the time, but there's always a little skepticism. In most cases they are confirming what I already believe to be true, I see brown water running out of an under deck screw hole, or a section of deck feels spongy, the meter confirms what I'm seeing or feeling.

I've seen moisture meters used incorrectly by amateurs an professionals alike, taking a whole series of readings with the meter set on the wring scale for instance, there are three settings on the Tramex, hardwood, surface moisture and GRP.

The relative scale on the Tramex is just that relative, you should use it on a known dry section of FRP first, like a non-cored hull topside section. That's the baseline. a 100 on the relative scale, by the way is equal to 1.5% moisture by weight, that's not even wet enough to feel, however, if the meter is pegged, that could mean imperceptibly damp or sopping wet mulch. I've seen solid FRP topsides read wet because they were painted with a coating that had a high metal content, that buyer almost walked away from that purchase because he was told the (solid) hull was wet.

All this is to say that moisture meters should be used by those who know how to use them and can be confident in their results.

There's a very good (and somewhat controversial) article on the subject of wet core in Professional Boat Builder magazine #96. Read the editorial on page 3 first, then the article begins on page 16. When it was first published it turned a lot of heads, as it called into question much of the then conventional wisdom on "wet" core. I don't necessarily agree with all the conclusions, however, it's worth the read https://pbbackissues.advanced-pub.com/?issueID=96&pageID=18

And, don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting wet core is nothing to worry about, I spent much of my career repairing or preventing it, wet core repairs paid for my kids' braces, and probably a new car or two. But there's wet and there's wet.

Once you've read the PBB article, you can read this article on core repairs and on preventing water penetration https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/cored-composite-deck-hardware/ Here's the Reader's Digest version https://www.proboat.com/2015/10/the-hard-facts-about-hardware-installations/

Finally, I'm with other forum members regarding conventionally fastened teak decks, each screw hole is a water entry point, it's almost impossible for water to not get into a cored deck on a vessel with this construction technique, it's why modern vessels glue rather than screw their teak decks.

Not to change the subject, but the bigger problem might be old leaking or soon to leak fuel tanks.

A small area or rot will spread if untreated just like woodrot or rust. Harmless rot in decking material will spread to areas around windows, into the headliner, and possibly to the stringers. ....
I recently inspected a 2008 Clipper 40. North Pacific and Pacific Trawler use(d) the same Taiwan builder. On an otherwise pristine lovely boat, the foredeck was soft both sides,there was a brown water stain inside on the hull in the ER, the bow stateroom headliner was degraded and flaking,and there was a water mark on the woodwork. Likely entry point was said to be a strained loosened sampsom post,caused by extreme weather loading.
Once discovered, action is needed or damage may extend with proportionate increase in cost,perhaps even reducing the prospect of full eradication.

Keep looking. We found a 1977 Thompson Trawler. We saw it on a rainy day here in Florida. No window leaks and only one small spot indicating where water may have gotten in once but no rot anywhere. Only one foot sized soft spot in the port side deck as well.

Update?

Cheers All, great information guys, thank you... What is the status did he find a boat? 1 hour of reading this cliff hanger thread , no happy ending...

Before/After Foredeck

It was a job but in two weeks and a Good Shipright we had our fire decks completed. I purchased everything needed and helped with the removal and part of the installation of the new deck. Hardest part was seeing her all opened up. Worth every dime. BE91CAD1-D65E-4B88-B4A3-D74625C089E5.jpg

7BEF0381-77D4-4DE1-B01E-126CF5FCBF5F.jpg

4B851B36-C8AB-4D95-AEB0-C94AB859F3E3.jpg

DECEF697-1FD1-44AE-91CC-7A2F6A556900.jpg

Most of this thread sends shivers up my spine thinking about all the work involved in much of the repair of water intrusion. I "bought" my boat specifically because it had suffered from water ingress in a number of locations over time and had basically ruined the boat. I got it for nothing and completely removed the cabin and decks, all machinery, wiring and plumbing and started over with just the bare hull. Two years later and many dollars poorer I'm getting close to completion, and this is only a 26 foot boat. Shop carefully with moisture meter and plastic hammer in hand, oh and a well stocked checkbook. Good luck.

I'm going to toss in a couple cents worth here since my wife and I have very recently gone through this whole process of weighing a purchase against known issues.

Our 1989 Sealord 35 (Oceania 35...whatever, same boat) had obvious deck issues among other things however the hull was solid, the engine was good and we both liked the layout. During the survey we brought in a local shipwright we liked and got complete written estimates for the repairs. All of these things were reflected in the offer we made. With the estimates staring the seller in the face he could either refuse knowing the repairs were now his to deal with or sell and never worry about it again. He sold and we took the boat knowing exactly what needed immediate fixing and who would do it and when. Barring some complete surprise we had a decent grip on what the future costs would be as a minimum.

To give you an idea of what we were dealing with;

• Soft spots in the fly-bridge deck and one side walk
  • Total replacement of the swim platform
  • Repairs to the skeg
  • Entire teak sundeck - removal, re-core, non skid
  • Hatch removal and glass in
  • Radar arch support repairs
  • New canvas
  • New ventura
  • New fuel filter system
  • Bottom paint
  • Rail repairs

That's a significant list of repairs however it was known going in plus we considered the resulting boat and what it would cost to buy that same boat in that condition.

In addition to the above repairs we also purchased a custom winter cover, new cutlass bearings, repaired a leaky reduction gear box, put a table on the sundeck, removed an old exterior sink, got a new dinghy and dinghy lift, new OB, all chain rode, new radio with command mic, chart plotter and depth sounder, water tank, new refrigerator, new batteries, 300 watt solar system, replaced both potable and deck wash pumps, installed a new macerator, replaced the rub rail and did a ton of miscellaneous things like refinish wood, make new curtains, re-upholster the fly-bridge chair and add a second one.

We paid $50,000 CAD for the boat and total cost for all of the above (plus a ton of miscellaneous items) was under $30,000 CAD spread over 3 years of work. The cost for the major items we found in the survey was about $10,000. We absolutely did not need to do all of that.

Is that a lot of money? Yes. Did we save this way? I would say no but it certainly didn't cost us more than buying something in better shape. One of the major factors in deciding this route was that in the end we would have a boat we really liked with upgraded systems and newer gear. We would certainly not get all of that by constantly looking for one in the right price range with no (or few) issues. Both of us are very pleased with the result and we have a boat much easier to sell if we desire.

Sooo....after all that, would we do it again? Yes, no question. Needed repairs are not always deal breakers and can in fact be deal makers, if you're willing to entertain the future costs as part of the purchase price. One thing I would strongly suggest though is to do the work immediately. Make the repair work part of the whole boat purchase. It takes some of your boating season(s) away but that's short term. Getting her hauled and work started as soon as possible after the buy keeps the energy surrounding the purchase going and actually fun.

Sounds like you knew exactly what you were getting in to and made the decision that it was worth it to you. Sadly most of the people I encounter are not so wise.

Very recently I was unable to reach agreement with the seller of a 2008 40ft fibreglass trawler; it had soft decks fwd, radiating from the (probably) leaking base of a strained and moveable samson post, to either side of the trunk cabin. Repair would require cutting out the to f/g layer to replace rotten wood inside the sandwich, re-secure the samson post, and whatever else was exposed. The extent is only known when the area is exposed,I saw difficulty keeping the exposed area weatherproof unless done undercover. In a way I`m glad the negotiation failed,it would have been a nasty job with uncertainty whether the discount was adequate. Not my idea of buying a new boat to immediately take it out of use for a major repair.I think I dodged a bullet.

I keep reminding myself that we ended up on a trawler because we started out looking for a tiny cottages/cabins on one of the many islands in Puget Sound. Of those cabins we toured, most were built in the 40's and 50's and all of them had decades of deferred maintenance, some were simple structures that needed modernization but most required new roofs, structural repairs, septic systems or whatever.

Instead we bought a 39 year old trawler that we can take from island to island for about 20% of the acquisition price of those cabins (cheap waterfront property). Ours needed a new "roof" when we bought it and we knew that. Six sheets of marine plywood, some resin and fiberglass and a few long weekends the boat deck will be ready for another 39 years.

Seems like a good deal to me.

Back
Top Bottom