Old 02-02-2015, 09:57 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Lake Havasu Houseboat

Has anybody here ever spent time on a houseboat on Lake Havasu?

The reason I ask is that, and this is no secret the wife and I are thinking of snowbird destinations.

Since our boat is stuck on the Pacific Coast, and since we didn't really take to the Southern California crowds, we're continuing looking.

The wife had an idea today to look into houseboats on a lake in Arizona.

It looks like we could buy a decent 50'+ houseboat for a reasonable price, and use it in the winter. We could stasy at the harbor, but our interest would be to beach it at a cove and play, possibly moving as our water and waste water needs dictated trips back to a harbor.

Its a thought at least. Is anybody familiar with Lake Havasu City, and or spent any time there?
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:30 PM   #2
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Kevin,

I've done a lot of boating on most of the Lakes in the Southwest. My favorite, Lake Powell by far. The most scenic and plenty of hide away spots as well as the largest shoreline.

The only advantage to Lake H, is your pretty close to the downtown area. Gets pretty wild in the spring/summer months. Lots of go fast boats. And party crowds.

Spend a little time and visit them all, I think you and the Admiral will like Lake Powell the most.

John
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:08 PM   #3

City: Pacific Northwest
Vessel Name: Jacari Maru
Vessel Model: 2014 Ranger Tug R-27
I have boated in the Colorado River lakes (Havasu, Mead, Mojave) at Thanksgiving and Christmas time. The water is almost empty of boats, and many of the marinas are almost closed. Cold at night, near freezing with 55 to 65 degrees in the day. Strong winds can and do blow in the winter. Anchoring and having the winds pick up to 45 is no fun. Lake levels are lower in winter, and some marina buildings are so far from the water, they need shuttle buses to get you from the docks to the buildings. The docks float, and are moved up and down the beach to keep the boats floating. Open pumpouts are not easy to find in winter. Basically, the Colorado River lakes are for summer, not much activity in the winter.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:26 PM   #4
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
Kevin,

I've done a lot of boating on most of the Lakes in the Southwest. My favorite, Lake Powell by far. The most scenic and plenty of hide away spots as well as the largest shoreline.

The only advantage to Lake H, is your pretty close to the downtown area. Gets pretty wild in the spring/summer months. Lots of go fast boats. And party crowds.

Spend a little time and visit them all, I think you and the Admiral will like Lake Powell the most.

John

We have made ten trips to Powell over the years and it is by far the best house boating lake if you want to get away from it all.. winter there can be cold!.. but sunny.

The views and vistas are stunning.
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:32 PM   #5
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Powell is the most spectacular by far.

My favorite lake. How about this idea, motor home with a 20 plus ft trailer boat. This would let you enjoy Arizona lakes as well as Baha on your own terms. Hang out inland from San Diego, Palm Spring Or north of LA on the coast. A 20-26' boat will let you cruise the Channel Islands, Catalina, and the Colorado river lakes. Tow it into Baha for a month or so and get out. It's been in the high 60's in the Delta this month, motor home would give a lot of options.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:43 PM   #6
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
We have not boated Lake Havasu but have stayed there a couple of times in the winter, February specifically. We enjoyed it so much we've entertained the idea of having our boat moved there. Lake Havasu City is a pleasant town and its proximity to the lake is awesome. The area near London Bridge is especially unique IMO.

Sounds like Lake Powell is worth a visit so will pencil it in next to explore. Go figure, I love Arizona, Nevada and New Mexico and the wife Oregon and Washington. I can see a lot of snow birding in our future.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:09 AM   #7
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Great idea!
I just happen to know where you can get 40 Ft Pusher and a 28 ft mid cabin, then you could hit them all!
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:20 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the ideas guys!

Looks like we'll plan a trip down there and check it out.

We have considered motorhoming, and we have considered buying a snowbird home. Those are still being considered. This was an idea that my wife asked me to look into.

Personally if it were me I'd just move my boat to the intercoastal, then cruise the Bahamas in the winter, or bag the intercoastal and go to Mexico.

Still working on the wife on that one. She likes the boat in Alaska for the summer season.

The idea of Havasu is interesting enough that we'll have to go see.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:49 AM   #9
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Kevin

Try houseboatmagazine,com. It has a forum and many good knowledgeable people on there. They might could help.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:04 PM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: A snowbird is someone from the U.S. Northeast, U.S. Midwest, Pacific Northwest, or Canada who spends a large portion of winter in warmer locales such as California, Arizona, Florida, Texas, or elsewhere along the Sun Belt of the southern and southwest United States, Mexico, and areas of the Caribbean.

Ok, Lake Havasu and Powell are warmer than Alaska in Winter but do they really meet a bird's needs?

We just cruised the west coast of Mexico. Perhaps still a bit more crowded than you like, but we loved Ensenada, Cabo San Lucas, and La Paz. And we left south Mexico this morning, leaving 80 degree weather. Mid 70's this time of year in Cabo San Lucas. Or swing on around into the Gulf of California. Many smaller towns. Cross to Topolobampo. We didn't make it there but did make it to Mazatlan. To us, most of the areas were perfect escapes, but not so much an escape that you couldn't still find anything you wanted. You were almost there when you were in San Diego.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:22 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: A snowbird is someone from the U.S. Northeast, U.S. Midwest, Pacific Northwest, or Canada who spends a large portion of winter in warmer locales such as California, Arizona, Florida, Texas, or elsewhere along the Sun Belt of the southern and southwest United States, Mexico, and areas of the Caribbean.

Ok, Lake Havasu and Powell are warmer than Alaska in Winter but do they really meet a bird's needs?

We just cruised the west coast of Mexico. Perhaps still a bit more crowded than you like, but we loved Ensenada, Cabo San Lucas, and La Paz. And we left south Mexico this morning, leaving 80 degree weather. Mid 70's this time of year in Cabo San Lucas. Or swing on around into the Gulf of California. Many smaller towns. Cross to Topolobampo. We didn't make it there but did make it to Mazatlan. To us, most of the areas were perfect escapes, but not so much an escape that you couldn't still find anything you wanted. You were almost there when you were in San Diego.
I'd say that close to half of my neighbors have winter homes in Arizona. It is a Very popular snowbird destination for Alaskans.

To me, I'd cruise Mexico on the boat we have, or ad I indicated move the boat and cruise the Caribean in the winter.

The challenge is its not just me, and I'm glad for that.

We'll figure something out. The houseboat thing just sounded like fun. We just feel blessed to have choices.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:20 PM   #12
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Kevin, I'm sitting here in our condo in the NW part of Phoenix as I type this. It's 6:20 p.m. and it's still 71* out side. There's no wind, a few very high, thin clouds, and it's going to get warmer as the weekend comes.

BTW, our condo is going to be up for sale in the near future!
Old 02-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I'd say that close to half of my neighbors have winter homes in Arizona. It is a Very popular snowbird destination for Alaskans.
Wifey B: I'd think Lake Havasu would be ok, but isn't Lake Powell pretty cold in the winter?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:13 PM   #14
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Lake Havasu

Lake Havasu is our home town and I dont think winter boating is really what you would want, there is hardly anyone on the water (except for hardy fisherman) in the winter except on really warm days.

If I were you I would do Lake Powell mainly due to its larger size and more anchoring and beaching opportunities but only in the summer and pray that some rain starts to fill the lakes.

In the mean time we will be enjoying the winter boating in FL which is much warmer than AZ, although we still have Lake Havasu as our home port on our transom.

Gerald
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:17 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Kevin, I'm sitting here in our condo in the NW part of Phoenix as I type this. It's 6:20 p.m. and it's still 71* out side. There's no wind, a few very high, thin clouds, and it's going to get warmer as the weekend comes.

BTW, our condo is going to be up for sale in the near future!
That's why people snowbird there!

Dry, warm, fairly affordable.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:19 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwkiwi View Post
Lake Havasu is our home town and I dont think winter boating is really what you would want, there is hardly anyone on the water (except for hardy fisherman) in the winter except on really warm days.

If I were you I would do Lake Powell mainly due to its larger size and more anchoring and beaching opportunities but only in the summer and pray that some rain starts to fill the lakes.

In the mean time we will be enjoying the winter boating in FL which is much warmer than AZ, although we still have Lake Havasu as our home port on our transom.

Gerald
Thanks Gerald

Powell is too cold. I found out Havasu has no houseboat size slips except a place that rents houseboats and they don't rent slips.

It was a try though.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:58 AM   #17
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: bout’ time
Vessel Model: Grady White 282 Sailfish
I was out on the intercoastal (a little trip from seabrook to freeport) here in Texas a couple of weeks ago. The weather was beautiful but chilly at times...I really enjoyed the trip and scenery but Florida seems to be the place to be if warm winter weather is your preference.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:39 AM   #18
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwkiwi View Post
Lake Powell is a great place, especially in spring or fall. It's too hot and crowded for our tastes much of the time in the summer, but April, May, September, October (before Memorial Day, after Labor Day) are mostly fabulous. You can catch a really windy day from time to time, in the spring more than the fall. We've cruised many of the big lakes in the west, and Powell is head and shoulders above most others on our list.

We particularly enjoy Lake Powell in a small boat, often spending weeks aboard, exploring places most houseboaters never see. Have done houseboats, but the small boat can explore everywhere, and get there reasonably quickly and economically. Lots of beautiful anchorages in the side canyons, with access to wonderful hiking.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:59 PM   #19

City: Baltimore, MD
Vessel Name: Starshine
Vessel Model: 1989 Bayliner 3288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Thanks for the ideas guys!

Personally if it were me I'd just move my boat to the intercoastal, then cruise the Bahamas in the winter, or bag the intercoastal and go to Mexico.

Still working on the wife on that one. She likes the boat in Alaska for the summer season.
That's your best idea yet Kevin. Spend a couple seasons cruising the East Coast and you might just stay. Better yet buy Smitty's 47 and have one on both coasts.
johnrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:06 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrupp View Post
That's your best idea yet Kevin. Spend a couple seasons cruising the East Coast and you might just stay. Better yet buy Smitty's 47 and have one on both coasts.
Thats where I'm really heading with this. I have a houseboat. I can take it anywhere.

What I need to do is get the great boat I own down south and get the wife to try cruising for a season. She promied she would give it a one season try. One trip down the coast from Alaska to southern California.

We'll see how that works out. But, for now when she has an idea of how to spend winters somewhere warmer I'll entertain her ideas with full gusto and see whare they lead us.