Water Hyacinth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ben, That's funny! Thanks for the laugh.

You're welcome.

I just spoke with a rep in CA Delta's Hyacinth removal division. Spraying was curtailed early in 2014 due to lack of available herbicides. This year plenty seems to be available. Legally set spray dates reach from March 1st to November 1st. Boats are ready to begin on the start date.

Reason for dates mentioned is due to poisoning of sea-life. According to the rep there have been no accounts of human sickness due to swimming/skiing.

Looks like 8 mile road. I used to live there and hated it during bass fishing. No problem here in Oceanside.:dance:

Looks like 8 mile road. I used to live there and hated it during bass fishing. No problem here in Oceanside.:dance:

Herman & Helen's at the end of 8 Mile Rd used to get hopping with bass boats and the odd tournament out but the last I heard they've went under.

Last I heard they got shut down for lack of permitting.
they also brought in those large ships to die next to the bank.
San Joaquin county is pissed off.

Last I heard they got shut down for lack of permitting.
they also brought in those large ships to die next to the bank.
San Joaquin county is pissed off.

Yup - That about sums it up for good ol' H & H.

Biological control is actually simple if not a bit cruel. Koi. Simply put Koi in the pond, river etc and they eat the hyacinth roots. They multiply like crazy and devour the entire hyacinth patch rapidly and kill it off. The cruel part is after the hyacinth is dead, the koi starve to death.

Biological control is actually simple if not a bit cruel. Koi. Simply put Koi in the pond, river etc and they eat the hyacinth roots. They multiply like crazy and devour the entire hyacinth patch rapidly and kill it off. The cruel part is after the hyacinth is dead, the koi starve to death.

Koi....AKA Asian Carp??? No thank you.

...starve to death is one way of looking at it. Another way is rendering the "starved" koi as a part of the food chain for bass.

No hyacinth problem in Oceanside, but the sea lions are starting to pile up on the docks.

Arf, arf, arf.

img_306976_0_b56d07f2ecb77d336c8563c2835260b0.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom