water heating on a Ranger Tug R-27

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billr2019

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Blue
Vessel Make
Ranger Tug R-27
We are i the process of purchasing a 2016 R-27 and will hopefully pick it up by mid August.
My question is how is the water heated on the boat? 12v, engine water?

We are i the process of purchasing a 2016 R-27 and will hopefully pick it up by mid August.
My question is how is the water heated on the boat? 12v, engine water?

Congrats Bill. I suggest you join the site Tug Nuts.

Your diesel engine will probably have a return line plumbed into your hot water tank that will heat the water in the tank. This is very convenient for when you're running the boat.

When you're at the dock your shore power (AC side NOT 12V) will power your hot water heater. It takes a lot of power to run a hot water heater.

Most trawlers I have seen do not hook up the engine's coolant system to the water heater. So it only heats with 120V power.

It isn't that difficult to hook it up. Most engines have a supply tap and a return tap for this purpose. Get the right fittings (Yanmar 4LH and 6LYs are weird Japan spec threads) and hook it up with heater hose.

Then the engine coolant will heat the water up as the engine runs.

David

Most trawlers I have seen do not hook up the engine's coolant system to the water heater. So it only heats with 120V power.

It isn't that difficult to hook it up. Most engines have a supply tap and a return tap for this purpose. Get the right fittings (Yanmar 4LH and 6LYs are weird Japan spec threads) and hook it up with heater hose.

Then the engine coolant will heat the water up as the engine runs.

David

Oh, I thought it was common. My old Camano 31 came that way.

Oh, I thought it was common. My old Camano 31 came that way.

I thought it was common as well. Both my last two sailboats (Catalinas) were setup that way as well as my current North Pacific. I think that is standard for NP Yachts. Very convenient. After running for the day we have hot water for showers and washing dishes in the evening or morning.

Hmmm, I can’t recall one that was not hooked up if it was otherwise ready, I mean it’s just two pieces of hose.

I'll have to check out the boat next month when I can drive up to WA.

I thought it was common as well. Both my last two sailboats (Catalinas) were setup that way as well as my current North Pacific. I think that is standard for NP Yachts. Very convenient. After running for the day we have hot water for showers and washing dishes in the evening or morning.
I'm happy to say our NT is also set up that way and has a radiator type heater in the saloon. You must be careful, The shower gets extremely hot.

It’s an interesting question especially now that the 2019’s are outboard powered only.

But for your model the original answer is correct. Like many stay aboard boats in that class the hot water tank is heated by a closed loop coolant line from the inboard engine, and then also by electric coil for 120v service - which could be provided by the optional generator on larger Ranger models if present or by shore power or a portable generator on the 27.

Last edited:
I much prefer the IB diesel to having a 300 HP OB hanging off the stern.
The appearance also looks weird also.

Welcome aboard. Congrats on your new boat. I have found that most boats have the water heater heat exchanger hooked up to one of the engines. It gives you hot water while underway and usually will stay hot overnight. When you are plugged into shore power your 120 volt hookup will power the water heater. 12 volt water heating would run your batteries down in short order.

I much prefer the IB diesel to having a 300 HP OB hanging off the stern.
The appearance also looks weird also.

I agree. Very disappointing that it’s not just an option apparently.

On the other hand some of the claims that Ranger Tugs is making about the performance of the model are impressive including most efficient cruise velocity.

And a diesel is safer than gasoline; my thought.
A leak into the bilge with diesel does not have the same explosive potential.
I think the balance and center of gravity is shifted too far aft,

I’ve spent much of my adult life driving boats from skiff to 50 something in length and I can tell you I’ve never owned an outboard boat except for a skiff and have never been in love with using outboards for work with one important exception: situations where beaching or purposely maneuvering through extremely shallow water or shallow obstacles is necessary. If I was in the Everglades or on Lake Powell I’d only have an outboard-equipped trailerable boat.

Well, and it’s much easier to change a dinged prop on one lol.

I’m also in the market. My wife and I are still negotiating over procuring a live-aboard class trawler, vs something that is smaller and trailerable to be towed behind a land yacht instead as we jump into full-timing around North America in the next year or so. A Ranger 27 is at the top of my list for option two.

Last edited:
As a Coast Guard Auxiliary member while on patrol, we use a surplus Utah sate park Boston Whaler Challenger 25 with twin Yamaha 225 HP 2- strokers.
The boat sits stern heavy.

If you have a genie aboard it's best to use it frequently as there are more gen problems caused by under / improper use.
I use the water heater to add some load as shore batty chargers are a minimal load. Will sometime run AC just to load the gen. If no gen available it's a very different story.
IMO

As a Coast Guard Auxiliary member while on patrol, we use a surplus Utah sate park Boston Whaler Challenger 25 with twin Yamaha 225 HP 2- strokers.
The boat sits stern heavy.
Lake Powell or somewhere closer to the valley?

Bear Lake in Rich County; lake is in both Idaho and Utah.
Beautiful 8 x 20 lake.
Thanks

I have an R-27 (classic) and bought it specifically for towing around the country. You'll need a 3/4 ton truck if going any distance. And yes the engine is plumbed to the water heater and provides cabin heat too.

Todd

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom