Old 10-03-2019, 10:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Dana Point, Ca
Vessel Name: Adventure
Vessel Model: Offshore 62
Water filtration - under counter

Hello all,

I recently purchased a 62 Offshore. There is an existing water filtration system mounter under the sink in the galley that goes to a stand alone water spigot. There is a yellow 1/4" inlet line and a blue 1/4 exit line to the set of double filters.

I have changed the filters and each time I change them they have the stale musty water smell. I flush the system and things seem to be ok for a while. When I return to the boat after a couple of weeks the stink is back.

The smell will eventually go away after I drain the water out of the system a couple of times.

I don't get the smell when I use the the water through the regular tap or shower, just when I use the filtered system.

I am not putting any chlorine or bleach in the water tanks.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Freespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:24 PM   #2
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Not sure of your question but it seems obvious you're not happy with the water filtration you're getting.

I would suggest replacing the water filter system you have with either a Seagull or Nature Pure from General Ecology. I have one and its excellent.

https://generalecology.com/collections/marine-rv

Ken

kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:48 PM   #3
Guru

City: gulf coast
I would bleach the system with the filters removed. Then be sure to use it frequently to keep it flushed.

I see no reason the filters could bot be put into the main cold line and the separate spigot that would keep it flushing more often.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:59 PM   #4
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Replace the system, it’s designed for a much larger volume then you are using. You need a smaller single stage system. Try pulling out one of the filters and see if that helps.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:30 PM   #5

City: Dana Point
I second the generalecology recommendation. I have used their 2QC system in my galley on my last two boats and it has worked well. Provides good potable water. Filter is a bit pricey but lasts 2 years.
DPKCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks for the recommendation. Do you guys add chlorine or anything to your water tank?
Old 10-03-2019, 10:37 PM   #7
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Or go none at all

We fill straight from the tap or from the roof when it rains.
No chlorine, no bleach, no filters, no problems.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:01 PM   #8

Is the second filter an activated charcoal filter? Thatís what gets odors.
Island Cessna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:06 AM   #9
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespool View Post
There is an existing water filtration system mounter under the sink in the galley that goes to a stand alone water spigot. There is a yellow 1/4" inlet line and a blue 1/4 exit line to the set of double filters.

I have changed the filters and each time I change them they have the stale musty water smell. I flush the system and things seem to be ok for a while. When I return to the boat after a couple of weeks the stink is back.

The smell will eventually go away after I drain the water out of the system a couple of times.

What brand/model filter system? Forespar makes one that I'm considering...

Double filters sounds like maybe you have different densities in each, secondary filter maybe being a carbon block?

I suspect it's not uncommon to need to flush again if you've been away from the boat for a significant length of time...

-Chris
Old 10-04-2019, 08:38 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation. Do you guys add chlorine or anything to your water tank?

Yes. I filter all water going in with an in-line RV style filter (available everywhere), then add just enough chlorine for 1-2 ppm. Typically, this is about 2 cap-fulls per 100 gallons.

Ken
Old 10-04-2019, 09:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks to all who have responded. I suspect the problem may be I am not treating the water and I am also not using any type of carbon filter. I am simply using two of the white 5 micron filters. For those who use a carbon filter, is it the same one you buy on Amazon or does there need to be something more special to it?

I will add chlorine each time I fill. I suspect that will help too. Is this the same chlorine you buy at Home Depot?
Old 10-04-2019, 09:46 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Thanks to all who have responded. I suspect the problem may be I am not treating the water and I am also not using any type of carbon filter. I am simply using two 5 micron filters. For those who use a carbon filter, is it the same one you buy on Amazon or does there need to be something more special to it?

I will add chlorine each time I fill. I suspect that will help too. Is this the same chlorine you buy at Home Depot?

For the second of the 2 filters, install a carbon block filter. As far as chlorine, I use standard Chlorox. You must make sure its unscented and NOT the bottle that's labeled "splash less".

Ken
Old 10-04-2019, 11:40 AM   #13

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: Archimedes
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42
A few years ago, we added water filters after the tanks just before the line tees to the hot water tank. This filters all the water we use. It's a bit overkill, but I used two Pentek Big Blue housings. The first has a 5 micron sediment filter. The second filter is a .5 micron carbon block filter. We change the filters twice a year.

I think it was about $400 for all the parts and filters.
Rusty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:52 AM   #14
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Thanks to all who have responded. I suspect the problem may be I am not treating the water and I am also not using any type of carbon filter. I am simply using two of the white 5 micron filters. For those who use a carbon filter, is it the same one you buy on Amazon or does there need to be something more special to it?

We don't add chlorine, except for occasional tank commissioning, usually in Spring.

We get our filter elements from Filtersfast.com. Primary is a 10" Pentek DGD-2501 dual gradient sediment filter (25 micron/1 micron) and the second is a 10" Pentek FloPlus10 .5 micron carbon block.

They probably have choices to fit your housings. Our first is in a Big Blue filter housing, second is smaller diameter housing, and older GE Smartwater I think... but filtersfast has housings to choose from if you need to change anything.

These are for filling our tanks (and the big one is also for when we connect to dock water), so I just added thread-to-garden-hose adapters and quick-snap connects so I can put it altogether and then take it all apart quickly.

-Chris
Old 10-04-2019, 12:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Berkeley, CA
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Model: Kha Shing Sundeck 40
We filter the water going into the boat with RV style 'sediment' filter already mentioned. We have a 3 stage under counter filter that goes to an under counter water heater and stand alone faucet. In a year I have only replaced the sediment filters but I'm about to replace the two activated charcoal (I think?) filters. The water that comes to the boat is chlorinated and you can sometimes smell it when washing dishes. The drinking water faucet has no smell at all. We use that water for all cooking as well (except boiling eggs).

All that said, if the filter smells I would flush out the system as well as making sure there isn't any light getting on the filters or lines.

The smell also might be from what is in the water and is getting caught in the filter. Maybe try an RV type filter farther upstream and see if that changes anything.

It could be the water going into the boat, something in the tanks or lines or a less than quality filter.

What I do know is that clean drinking water is pretty important. You could remove the under counter filter and just use a brita / berkee style filter for drinking water.
Andiamo2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:44 PM   #16
Guru

City: B.C.
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: xxxx
Lots of recommendations.
As you have now surmised the first water filter is OK with the 5 mic white spun polypro. THat will catch debris. The second filter should be the carbon block filter which will remove, or should, the odour causing materials. Keep a spare and change it when any hint of trouble shows.

You may need to chlorine treat your water tanks especially when you are not using and thus refilling regularily. You should not need much. A mtce. dose as suggested of a couple capsfull of just plain bleach, not the others being promoted, will take care of 100 gal of water easily. If my tanks are already fairly full I mix the bleach for each tank into about 2L or qts of water and pour that in.

I don't filter what comes out of the faucet. I only have 100 gal but I use filters when filling the tanks. Keeping the tanks clean is to me, more important, than filtering at the faucet. Or do both since you already have the faucet dedicated set.. THat stops debris from entering the tanks which helps keep the tanks clean which reduces the chances of odours developing. I use a 5 mic spun polypro , white filter, and then a ceramic filter for less than 1 micron filtering which also has an activated carbon core. It took some time to get the tanks clean enough that I can depend upon them

Since I started doing that I no longer have funny water or cloudy water even after a rough trip.

I will suggest though that the ceramic filter slows the water delivery a lot so if you need to refill a large quantity you may need a larger than average 10" filter of dual units to increase water flow.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:16 PM   #17
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Quote:

Clorox. Unscented.

But what is the objective for perpetually adding chlorine? Sure, you want to insure the water is potable, but water from a municipal source is already chlorinated. So you add more, then need a carbon filter to remove the taste. What have you gained? If you periodically shock the system (annually, at most), unless you have some source of pathogen entering the system, it will stay pathogen-free, due in large part to the residual chlorine that's present in municipal supplies-some to the extent that you need a carbon filter to make that municipal supply palatable. So adding more chlorine to your tank is redundant.

In over 10 yrs of full time cruising, we fill from the dockside supply or make our own, and use water exclusively from our tanks. Other than shocking the tanks every 2 yrs (maybe), we've never experienced any problem with contamination.

We do use a 10 micron carbon filter for all our usage except deck wash, a 10" cartridge lasts for anywhere from 3-9 months. Unless you're taking on some really dirty water, the carbon filter should be sufficient on its own. Double filtering with a sediment followed with a carbon filter is a bit overkill when a single filter will achieve a result that's indiscernible from double filtering. Besides, then you only have one filter housing to install and a single consumable item to inventory.
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:22 PM   #18

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 29 - Express Cruiser 1969
A friend filters the water as it enters the holding tank, using an on hose RV filter. This strikes me as smart as you don't have problems with an in house system and you keep crap out of your tank(s).
rsn48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 02:43 AM   #19
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Makes perfect sense IF your water supply is municipal. Ours is from an on-site well. Still, we use your method, a single carbon filter. And, I agree with Simi60, no one is going to get sick or die from using any marina's water unfiltered. Taste may be an issue for some but not safety. And, yes, I still occasionally drink water straight from the garden hose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerin View Post
Clorox. Unscented.

But what is the objective for perpetually adding chlorine? Sure, you want to insure the water is potable, but water from a municipal source is already chlorinated. So you add more, then need a carbon filter to remove the taste. What have you gained? If you periodically shock the system (annually, at most), unless you have some source of pathogen entering the system, it will stay pathogen-free, due in large part to the residual chlorine that's present in municipal supplies-some to the extent that you need a carbon filter to make that municipal supply palatable. So adding more chlorine to your tank is redundant.

In over 10 yrs of full time cruising, we fill from the dockside supply or make our own, and use water exclusively from our tanks. Other than shocking the tanks every 2 yrs (maybe), we've never experienced any problem with contamination.

We do use a 10 micron carbon filter for all our usage except deck wash, a 10" cartridge lasts for anywhere from 3-9 months. Unless you're taking on some really dirty water, the carbon filter should be sufficient on its own. Double filtering with a sediment followed with a carbon filter is a bit overkill when a single filter will achieve a result that's indiscernible from double filtering. Besides, then you only have one filter housing to install and a single consumable item to inventory.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:25 AM   #20

City: Marinette, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I don't drink from my tanks. Just use it for dishes and toilets and cleaning. We can use 300 gallons in about 2 weeks, especially with guests. I have two 150 gl tanks, stainless. They really never run totally empty. When I fill them, I add about half cup of unscented bleach to each tank. Never have any smell issues. You will get an odor from your hot water tank if it has sediment building up in it. Mine is a 5 gl domestic tank, cheap and easy to replace every 5 - 10 years.

I used to have a whole boat cartridge filter. It would plug up in a couple tanks worth of water, I got rid of it. Now I need to clean the screens in my faucets fairly often, rusty particles. Don't know where they come from with S.S. tanks. Not a problem though.

I will sometimes drink a small amount of the water, maybe to take medication or brush my teeth. It is always fresh smelling and tasting.

pete

Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote