Water Filter System for Drinking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It worked very well, and since I put less than 1/2 the 600 gallons its rated for through it, I can reuse the filter cartridge next year. I feel the components are all very high quality. I would definitely buy it again.

Ken

Thank you for the quick response!

I have to figure out what to do with my ice maker. It has a standard 5 micron filter before it but if I am going to use the ice cubes in drinks methinks I should find closer to .5 micron but dont know if the flow would be OK for the ice maker.

What do folks typically do with their ice makers for water filtration? Or do folks just use that ice for coolers and make ice in trays in the freezer for consumption?

I accidently put a small amount of diesel fuel into my steel 250 gallon water tank. dumba$$ thing to do. but hey. All tasted ok until I drained my water tank and diesel amount that was floating on top of water, now entered hoses and taps on board. Now a constant smell and taste of diesel in water. Would a carbon filter remove the diesel odor and taste? Am I looking at replacing water lines??

Have you gotten it dealt with ?

I use the Nature's Pure QC2 under the galley sink (separate spigot) for all drinking and cooking water. I prefilter the water when filling the tank with a Hydro Life RV/Marine exterior filter Rated for: bacteria, chemicals, lead, odor, chlorine, fungicides, sediment, iron, mercury, aluminum, and taste (according to the Camping World website).
Every winter the water tank is drained and left empty and every spring the water lines are flushed with a mild bleach solution, and the entire system is treated with Thetford Water tank cleaner and sanitizer (aluminum water tank so no bleach there). To keep the water "fresh" (also we refill reqularly), I add small amounts of Aquatabs water treatment tablets. These help sanitize the water without harming aluminum.
I am also as careful as I can be as to what goes into the tank (no known "bad water"). This system seems to work well.

Thank you for the quick response!

I have to figure out what to do with my ice maker. It has a standard 5 micron filter before it but if I am going to use the ice cubes in drinks methinks I should find closer to .5 micron but dont know if the flow would be OK for the ice maker.

What do folks typically do with their ice makers for water filtration? Or do folks just use that ice for coolers and make ice in trays in the freezer for consumption?

You could easily plumb the filter to also output to your ice maker. The flow is very good so it shouldn't be an issue.

Ken

What is left behind in the wastewater from a reverse osmosis system? Could that water be recovered and used for showering or flushing toilets? Divert to a freshwater wash down system?

Sure, the only stuff that is in the "waste water" is what was in it before the filter, only now it has a higher concentration. Using it to flush toilets or such should be no problem. It still looks like tap water after being rejected by the filter.

The only possible issues would be getting it back in a pressure vessel since the R/O filter assumes no back pressure on the wastewater outlet.

Sure, the only stuff that is in the "waste water" is what was in it before the filter, only now it has a higher concentration. Using it to flush toilets or such should be no problem. It still looks like tap water after being rejected by the filter.

The only possible issues would be getting it back in a pressure vessel since the R/O filter assumes no back pressure on the wastewater outlet.
I would think it would be fine to gravity drain into a dedicated tank located low in the hull.

Back
Top Bottom