Old 07-17-2014, 10:51 AM   #1

City: Thorndike
Vessel Name: Periwinkle
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
On the water again. Information please

We are making the last leg of the trip from Key Largo to Bourne Ma. Presently 6 miles form the Chesapeake Bay side of the C&D canal. We will travel down the Delaware and through the May Canal. This is where the questions come in. The plan is to make the 100 mi plus trip on the outside to Sandy Hook. I have plotted the course and saw nothing out of the ordinary but have read much information to the contrary. As an example one person said to stay at least three miles out to avoid shoaling. My plan is to cruise from published way point to published way point which put us about 2 miles outside and in plenty of water for a 3.5 ft draft. Did I miss something. I obviously need two to three good days weather before casting off. Still I have other questions like:
1) Is the 2 miles good?
2) What are the best winds? I would expect anything with a West in it is off shore and good unless entering a channel at an ebb time.
3) Where are the best places to duck in if necessary, and under what conditions?
4) I will not do a 24 hour cruise so will need to spend one or two nights in a marina or at anchor, ay suggestions?

Ken
kpinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:05 AM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinnn View Post
We are making the last leg of the trip from Key Largo to Bourne Ma. Presently 6 miles form the Chesapeake Bay side of the C&D canal. We will travel down the Delaware and through the May Canal. This is where the questions come in. The plan is to make the 100 mi plus trip on the outside to Sandy Hook. I have plotted the course and saw nothing out of the ordinary but have read much information to the contrary. As an example one person said to stay at least three miles out to avoid shoaling. My plan is to cruise from published way point to published way point which put us about 2 miles outside and in plenty of water for a 3.5 ft draft. Did I miss something. I obviously need two to three good days weather before casting off. Still I have other questions like:
1) Is the 2 miles good? Probably...if nearing an inlet area..watch the depth sounder and breakers...just stay in more than 15-20 feet of water veering offshore if necessary.
2) What are the best winds? I would expect anything with a West in it is off shore and good unless entering a channel at an ebb time. Off Jersey west wind is OK...I've slid along the coast in more than 35 knots of wind and barely a ripple except for the mile or two passing Little Egg, Great Egg and Hereford inlets (just stay as close to shore as you feel safe..greater than 3 miles and it will start getting choppy). A west wind and a flood tide would make then steeper.
3) Where are the best places to duck in if necessary, and under what conditions? Manasquan isn't great but not too bad except on those wind opposing tide situations and Summer can mean heavy traffic. Barnegat is pretty good these days...stay in the marks and don't run over submerged jetties. Absecon (Atlantic City) is a breeze. Townsends Inlet isn't too bad and the marks are good...just not charted....not good with a NE or East blow. Cape May is a snap in anything but a hurricane.
4) I will not do a 24 hour cruise so will need to spend one or two nights in a marina or at anchor, ay suggestions? Sandy Hook to Barnegat...just inside there are marinas and a good anchorage. Then on to Cape May. 2 60 something mile days is not too bad...If necessary. Sandy Hook to Manasquan then Atlantic City then Cape May.

Ken
Once in at Manasquan..the whole ICW to Cape May isn't bad for a 4 foot draft if travelling on the last 3 of rising tide and first 3 of falling tide....just in case the weather kicks up and you want to keep going.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
We preferred to make the trip legs shorter by anchoring in the Brigantine anchorage across the Absecon from Atlantic City. It is a nice anchorage and actually a fun place to explore with the dinghy in our opinion. Always stopped at Utsch's marina in Cape May for a couple of days. Looking at some of our old tracks, we were never more than 2 miles off shore and typically less than one. I enjoy getting out the binocs and seeing what is on shore. Five foot draft stabilized boat going 8-9 knots. Always picked our weather, not being in any hurry. Will defer to the locals here for other suggestions.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #4

Thanks everyone, excellent help.

Ken
Old 07-17-2014, 03:20 PM   #5
Guru

City: gulf coast
Better get Billy on here fast. IIRC he talks about a shoal out several miles from Egg Harbor.

Be very careful!
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:20 PM   #6
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Little Egg.

Maybe from inside, but well less than two from the ColRegs line. 1.2 nm, to be precise.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:25 PM   #7
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Little Egg.

Maybe from inside, but well less than two from the ColRegs line. 1.2 nm, to be precise.
That's been my experience too but you never know when the shoals shift a bit....3 miles from the COLREGS line as caltexflanc pointed out would be really something. Historical photos show the breakers average about 1.5 or a little less.

If it's nice...the breakers are obvious and like I said...just run a 20 foot contours on your depthsounder and it's no big deal.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:05 PM   #8
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
I like to think of it like this, to have to most comfortable ride, anything out of the NW from Cape May to Barnegat, and anything out of the W or SW from Barnegat up to Sandy hook. BUT, this requires a shifting front coming through. So you settle for anything out of the W'ly. Hug the beach, as your draft allows, (until you feel the spit of beach sand being blown in your face)

The trip is three legs. 32 miles from Cape May entrance to Atlantic City is 33 miles. Then anchor for the night.

Then its a 50 mile day from AC to Manasquan.

Then 38 milles from Manasquan to the Statue of Liberty.

If you're not familiar, stay out of Barnegat and Little Egg inlets.

I'll look for you at OBM!!
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:00 AM   #9

Thanks Cappy. Where do you anchor for the second night?

Ken
Old 07-18-2014, 08:02 AM   #10

For those interested we have been blogging each leg since March. www.denandken.wordpress.com
Old 07-18-2014, 08:13 AM   #11
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinnn View Post
Thanks Cappy. Where do you anchor for the second night?

Ken
I 'anchor' at a marina in Manasquan. Take a walk in the morning for a cup of coffee, then head out. Manasquan has too much current to sleep comfortably. (for me) But, it is the closest jump off point to get to or from NYC. And it has the benefit of a clear, well marked, bright entrance channel if you are late on arrival. Timing the offshore passage is more important to me (and the Mrs.) than quibbling over a nights dockage.

You never mentioned (and I didn't go searching for the info) but what is your speed? sail or power? That makes a difference in time expectations also. I assumed that you are a trawler, making 8. Now that I have seen the blog, 8 is a good speed to expect!!! Nice documentation.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote