Watching TV onboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why anyone would waste their valuable time trying to hack my systems to watch me is beyond my comprehension. Have at it if that excites. Not something worth 2 seconds of my time worrying about.

The point isn't necessarily to hack your devices to steal your info. It's to hack your devices in ways that allow to be used to then hack others. Or, essentially, lobotomize them into being zombie devices to disrupt other networks. Some folks just want to cause mayhem.

Some of the 'smart' devices out there have little in the way of security preventing them from being abused that way.

That and some of the apps in the TVs can't be properly/fully disabled. This leaves them prone to constantly 'phoning home', which can waste a lot of bandwidth, especially if you're on a cellular data connection. Even if you're not using the smart apps directly, the devices still collect and submit data on use.

The point isn't necessarily to hack your devices to steal your info. It's to hack your devices in ways that allow to be used to then hack others. Or, essentially, lobotomize them into being zombie devices to disrupt other networks. Some folks just want to cause mayhem.

Some of the 'smart' devices out there have little in the way of security preventing them from being abused that way.

That and some of the apps in the TVs can't be properly/fully disabled. This leaves them prone to constantly 'phoning home', which can waste a lot of bandwidth, especially if you're on a cellular data connection. Even if you're not using the smart apps directly, the devices still collect and submit data on use.
Truly, I don't care or worry about the remote possibility. For example, I do not personally know anyone who has had their identity stolen. Possible, yes. Likely, no.

I use my iPhone which has an unlimited data account with Verizon.
Connect to the flatscreen with a lightning to HDMI adapter:
Lightning Digital AV Adapter - Lightning to HDMI

Then whatever you can watch on the phone can be sent to the TV: VUDU, Netflix, Direct TV app....

If you have a Slingbox at home, you can project your home cable account to your TV. Whatever you can watch at home, you can watch on your phone and therefore your vessels flatscreen TV via the adapter.
Slingbox.com - Slingbox 500

Limitation is need for cell service. When there's no service, there's always a sunset...

When there is no cell service or it's too slow to stream, just watch the shows you downloaded from Netflix or Amazon Prime Video, or even Starz..... We always have a few hours of stuff on our phones as backup for days when the cell service is not up to snuff.

We are partial to British detective shows about the murderous goings on in the English countryside, like Midsomer Murders (23 seasons online!) or Miss Fishers Murder Mysteries (an Australian import), New Tricks is also quite good, but it is on Hulu and we have never been able to get that service to stream properly. YMMV

Then whatever you can watch on the phone can be sent to the TV: VUDU, Netflix, Direct TV app....

If you have a Slingbox at home, you can project your home cable account to your TV. Whatever you can watch at home, you can watch on your phone and therefore your vessels flatscreen TV via the adapter.

Limitation is need for cell service. When there's no service, there's always a sunset...

Thanks for the ideas. How does cell streaming work with HD? Does your unlimited Verizon stream slow down after a certain amount of data?

When I was working and traveling I watched TV a lot. Now that I’m retired, I rarely watch TV, onboard or at home, and wonder how I had the time for either.

If you get your TV at home from DirecTV, you have a slingshot built into your DVR that will allow you to program your DVR remotely and to stream anything you have recorded at home or that DirecTV has available from ON Demand as long as you have an Internet connection (wi-if or cell). You can also watch live TV via the app, just use the DirecTv app on your pad or phone.

Intriguing idea. How is the performance with your Verizon hotspot through your phone? That is what I do with my Android to supply internet connections to our iPads.

Intriguing idea. How is the performance with your Verizon hotspot through your phone? That is what I do with my Android to supply internet connections to our iPads.

We use the same method and carrier and find it works well if you have an LTE connection, 3G is iffy and anything less is useless. It works best on a fast wifi connection as you would expect, but often the cellular hotspot is faster than Marina wifi.

Thanks for the ideas. How does cell streaming work with HD? Does your unlimited Verizon stream slow down after a certain amount of data?

I have had an unlimited plan for 10 years or more, well before the stopped offering them. So as of now, it's not subjected to the slowing that you're subjected 2 after a certain amount of data on the new unlimited plans.
That may change...

I'm not really using the phone as a hotspot. Just passing its function on through to the TV monitor via the HDMI cable and adapter.

Be careful about using your phone as a hotspot. The added CPU load to handle the job draws a lot of power and can potentially introduce battery problems. As in, overheating leading to battery expansion (which is a 'bad thing' for lithium batteries). Even when plugged into a charger there's still potential for problems. If it works without overheating your phone, then great. But if the phone barely keeps up a charge while connected and acting as a hotspot... consider getting a separate mini hotspot gizmo instead. Or something dedicated to the purpose like a Wirie Pro access point.

It is true that a 4G data connection will be noticeably faster than a 2.4ghz wifi link. A 5ghz wifi link would be preferable but those often have lesser range than 2.4. It would be very problematic to stream video from a 2.4ghz wifi link if there was anyone else also on the network at the same time. That and you'd be likewise limited by whatever uplink speed the marina wifi connection was using. A 4G LTE cell connection is less likely to have those problems if the cell company has sufficient coverage for the area. Some are better than others and it varies widely.

Back
Top Bottom