Old 01-27-2018, 02:11 PM   #141
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
I never heard of a "firestick" but I do know that about 20 or so years ago Directv and Dish sued people for unauthorized viewing of their encoded signals. There is a federal law that prohibits stealing TV and people who engaged in it including those selling modified receivers or decoding cards for receivers. Maybe "firesticks" don't actually steal signals.

17 Charged in Satellite TV Signal Piracy - latimes

DIRECTV INC v. HOA HUYNH | FindLaw

But if your smart enough to modify a so called smart card to crack satellite signals with no intention of selling them, the Ninth District Court of Appeals is on your side. Don't know if this decision was ever overruled.

The Ninth Circuit judges determined that using a device called an "unlooper" to activate hacked DirecTV satellite decryption card doesn't fall under 605(e)(4) because it isn't assembly or modification within the context of the law. In the decision, the judges state that 605(e)(4) is intended to punish those produce and sell satellite piracy devices, not individuals who simply reactivate hacked cards for the purposes of interception.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:21 PM   #142
Guru

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
As for all incredibly judgemental comments about TV....WOW !!!

People are complex creatures with many interests. Everyone here has an interest in boating. Its nice that so many people have gathered to talk about that, and an amazing community has been created by that. BUT....that does not mean that our other interests will be aligned. And who says an interest in one thing, is more socially superior than another ?? Can a coin collector look down on a stamp collector ? Does a classical music fan enjoy a higher caste than a show tunes fan ? Do they get a better seat at the table of life if they can actually play a piano ? Some people spend hours trimming miniature trees, or dragging plastic psuedo-fish through the water trying to trick real ones into bleeding all over their cockpit. Some people run even though no one is chasing them, and others pick things up and put them down....pay hundreds for fancy wines, put on a tuxedo to hear an opera in a language they don't understand, or spend hours painting a picture when a photograph is much quicker and more accurate.

Why anyone thinks any of these pursuits are worthwhile doesn't matter. Only that the pursuer enjoy them, and has the means to do so. We don't have to understand each others non-boating hobbies, and we certainly don't need to judge them. Nothing positive will result from judging how another spends thier leisure time.

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off once in a while, or the light won't come in" Isaac Asimov.

Agreed!
MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:11 PM   #143

City: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
........... If one has been wronged by a law that favors someone over another, then perhaps he can justify breaking the law as a set back on his damages, which a lot of folks would have no issue with.
The courts will have an issue with it. Not liking a law doesn't mean you can break it without consequences

Our society is a society of laws and couldn't function without laws and compliance with those laws.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:41 PM   #144
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatman View Post
The courts will have an issue with it. Not liking a law doesn't mean you can break it without consequences

Our society is a society of laws and couldn't function without laws and compliance with those laws.
I just choose to be law abiding. Some day there may be a law I find so egregious or immoral that I choose to break it, but not going to start my criminal career stealing a tv signal so I can watch tv.

It's also important to recognize that the providers know every trick being used and they spend a lot of time and effort figuring out how to catch the perpetrator as they want to make examples of people. They will spend as much as it takes to find and then to get them prosecuted. They figure out who is "on the line". The chances of getting caught remain low but they catch and go after people every day.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:51 PM   #145
Guru

City: Boston Area
Not only that, but it is similar to insurance fraud, in that the cost of the free loaders is born by the honest customers.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:03 PM   #146

City: Washington
And similar to software or music piracy.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:52 PM   #147
Veteran Member

City: Fayetteville
Vessel Name: Mhyzhen
Vessel Model: Custom 33' Glen-L design "union jack"
ok, i said i was done but apparently im a liar as well as a criminal, lol
"Maybe "firesticks" don't actually steal signals."

no they dont, they simply are able to receive what is being broadcast... they are available at any best buy or countless other electronic retailers.... plenty of commercials a couple years back, Gary Busey was the spokes person for them

"The Ninth Circuit judges determined that using a device called an "unlooper" to activate hacked DirecTV satellite decryption card doesn't fall under 605(e)(4) because it isn't assembly or modification within the context of the law. In the decision, the judges state that 605(e)(4) is intended to punish those produce and sell satellite piracy devices, not individuals who simply reactivate hacked cards for the purposes of interception."

well now, looks like my ideals may not be so far fetched after all

"Not only that, but it is similar to insurance fraud, in that the cost of the free loaders is born by the honest customers."

absolutely nothing even remotely like insurance fraud, i am not costing anyone a dime, if i was to never watch it to begin with, they are going to charge the same amount regardless, and if they are charging higher on the assumption that someone might see it that isnt subscribed, they are still going to over charge if i see it or not...

"And similar to software or music piracy."

again no, not even the same ball park.... no profit being made, no use to entice business, no difference whatsoever to anyones bottom line except my possible lack of sleep from binge watching season 3 of (insert name here)______________

ok, i really am done now, i came here to enjoy good hearted banter and expand my boating universe, not get bogged down in whatever this thread has become
Old 01-27-2018, 10:25 PM   #148
Guru

City: Boston Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by TugYacht_33 View Post
"Not only that, but it is similar to insurance fraud, in that the cost of the free loaders is born by the honest customers."

absolutely nothing even remotely like insurance fraud, i am not costing anyone a dime, if i was to never watch it to begin with, they are going to charge the same amount regardless, and if they are charging higher on the assumption that someone might see it that isnt subscribed, they are still going to over charge if i see it or not...
The cable company has equipment to maintain, content to purchase, salaries to pay and so on. Those costs are divided over the number of subscribers. By being an illegal .....or undocumented....subscriber, you are not sharing in those operating costs, which now have to be divided over a smaller group, thereby raising the cost to each legitimate customer.

My parents taught me to ask 2 questions when faced with any kind of dillema:
1. Would you do this if your parents were here?
2. What would happen if everyone did it ?

Apply rule 2 to your situation. If everyone cancelled their cable and stole it instead.... the company would go bankrupt, jobs would be lost, and so on. If everyone doing it is a bad thing, then one person doing it is a bad thing.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:36 PM   #149
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I'm amazed how different networks manage to time their commercials among them so that channel changing has minimal affect on avoiding commercials. ... Never believed avoiding paying attention to advertisements was a sin when television was free. Thus, not a twinge of guilt avoiding them while I'm paying for the signal on cable.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:00 AM   #150
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I'm amazed how different networks manage to time their commercials among them so that channel changing has minimal affect on avoiding commercials. ... Never believed avoiding paying attention to advertisements was a sin when television was free. Thus, not a twinge of guilt avoiding them while I'm paying for the signal on cable.

1++
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:18 AM   #151
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Going to St. Orres in Gualala (on the Mendocino Coast) via automobile tomorrow to stay overnight at one of their cabins. A welcome break from TV. A birthday present to myself.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:19 AM   #152
Guru

Wifey B: Some great basketball on tonight. My favorite player scored 49. The Heat won as well. Good basketball night. Good television night.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:34 AM   #153
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Maybe we need an Adblock equivalent for TV. The blocked advertisement time could be filled with something you enjoy, say a mix of your favorite photos or vids loaded onto the TV. Not going to happen, but would be nice.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:45 AM   #154
Guru

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Some great basketball on tonight. My favorite player scored 49. The Heat won as well. Good basketball night. Good television night.

I was at Oracle Arena watching my Celtics lose. :-(

They had their chances!
MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:00 AM   #155
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B., do you like him as a player or because his daughter is so darn cute?!?!
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:19 AM   #156
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbase View Post
Wifey B., do you like him as a player or because his daughter is so darn cute?!?!
Wifey B: Riley is cute. Like him as a player, as a person, like his family. He's a hometown boy for me. His daddy was a Charlotte hero as the all time leading scorer for the Hornets, now their tv dude. Steph went to high school in Charlotte and to college in Davidson as no top basketball school offered scholarship so he took Davidson to the NCAA tournament three times. Still although he averaged 28.6 pts his senior year, drafted 7th after such illustrious stars as Jonny Flynn, Ricky Rubio, Tyreke Evans and....drum roll please...Hasheem Thabeet. Like his brother Seth too.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:32 AM   #157
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
I have a fire stick. Mine as well throw it in the garbage. Doesn’t even work at my marina. Went to tv Fox. It must me purchased from their website although there are other similar products. It’s a high powered antenna. No it’s not illegal.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:21 PM   #158
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
158 posts. So much to read I missed my favorite TV shows.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:31 PM   #159
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Ok, turned on the TV on the boat. An overcast late afternoon. And now it's brightened up by Sheryl Crow in concert. One of my faves. HD broadcast over Dish Network and sound over my Bose speakers. My wife knitting and my 2 dogs asleep by my side. What could be better? I'm the world's luckiest guy.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0264.jpg  
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:49 AM   #160

City: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB1969 View Post

I have DirecTV at home and I understand adding it to the boat isn't to costly...however it seems that the satellite equipment for the boat is pricey.
If you already have a subscription to DirecTV, you can add a satellite TV tracking system like Track-It-TV (was Follow Me TV) for under 1 boat unit. Put a dish on the TITV system, connect one of your home receivers (or add another one to your subscription) and you have the same satellite TV as at home. They've been around for over 20 years. www.track-it-tv.com
MOJO is offline   Reply With Quote