Watch Barge Sink in Galapagos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, how many times have we seen a mobile crane lifting a load that is too heavy and causes the crane to topple over? Don't these guys have the ability to weigh the load when they lift it? Cranes around here do.

Two guys on the barge sure bailed quickly. Poor bastard crane operator was screwed. Never ceases to amaze me when crap like this goes sideways. Who the hell is "in charge"?!

Known weight and the load chart will prevent that stuff happening. It is amazing how many operators do not know how to read the chart. Even older operators with a great deal of experience many times can not read the load charts correctly.

Our new crane truck has an automatic load sensor that will not allow an overweight load to be picked up. The alarm will be set off even if you are close to the load or angle limit

Wifey B: Looks like a Farmer's Insurance commercial. Just don't blame it on the dogs. :nonono:

But it's a very serious and common issue. I admit, cranes like that scare the %^% out of me. I've seen pics around the country of storms and the cranes whack the buildings. I can't watch them on docks and around boatyards as I've seen too many that looked like little toy cranes lifting huge monster amounts. I know one was putting supplies on a cruise ship and toppled over onto it. I know the operators of big cranes have training but I see cranes like the one in this thread and I'm very suspicious of whether the operator has been trained. :eek:

I've seen a number of videos like the one ASD linked to and I always cringe when my boat is about here....
DSCN1333.jpg

I've seen a number of videos like the one ASD linked to and I always cringe when my boat is about here....

I go beyond cringe seeing any boat like that. Somewhere between anxiety and panic attack. Boats carried on fork lifts too. Travel lifts I'm less stressed by but worry about straps breaking or coming loose.

I know if I was a trained operator and actually operating it, I'd feel different but watching it I find tough.

Back
Top Bottom