Wasted Bandwidth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited:
East coast, 9 is reserved for bridge communication.

East coast, 9 is reserved for bridge communication.
Ch 9 is not reserved for bridge only, it is still a secondary hailing frequency.

In North Carolina and further North channel 13 is the normal bridge working frequency. Even though 13 is used for bridges in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast it is still a bridge to bridge working channel.

(thinking) 13 is the alternative to calling a bridge for opening.
Coming down from Long Island, when I was not outside, the bridge operators responded on 9. If you approaching the bridge or lock slowly, you will find a sign indicating which channel.
I'd start with 9.

Last edited:
In some areas of Puget Sound I will setup a dual watch with 16 and the appropriate VTS channel for Puget Sound. In the busier areas it is nice to hear what a ferry is about to do etc... South of Admiralty Inlet it is channel 14 and from Admiralty Inlet North to CA it is 5A.

I do have one pet peeve that really annoys me. My experience has been that the Canadian Coast Guard are extremely good with their radio technique. Victoria radio always seems to be staffed by operators who have the ability to speed clearly, at an appropriate speed, and with the mic a good distance from the their mouths.

USCG Sector Puget Sound on the other hand are rather poor in general. Some do it really well, but other times you have to crank the volume way up just to hear them. It has nothing to do with the power of the transmitter but with how clearly they speak, what volume they use, and how far away they are from the mic. Sector Puget Sound could use some good training.

I've come to the same conclusion on the Lakes. The Canadians have a much less formal tone and cadence, which tends to be easier to understand. It seems like the person on the radio is comfortable with their job, and is just talking to you like any other person. In fact you can recognize the same people for years at a time.

On the US side, it often seems like the format is more important than the content. It feels like the person making the broadcast is so concerned with getting the formalities right, that they sound like robots. Sometimes the only clear part about a broadcast, is that the person sending it was not at all comfortable using the radio. Just about every day there's a broadcast that is so riddled with feedback that it sounds like they're being abducted by a UFO.

(thinking) 13 is the alternative to calling a bridge for opening.
Coming down from Long Island, when I was not outside, the bridge operators responded on 9. If you approaching the bridge or lock slowly, you will find a sign indicating which channel.
I'd start with 9.
I don't believe Ch13 is usually an alternative.

Any AICW cruising guide clearly points (or should) out CH 13 for Va & NC.

Ch 9 for SC, Ga and FL.

Alternative signals are by phone or whistle signal in my exoperience.

I think many listen to Ch 16 but I don't know if they are all required to do so ....unless posted on the bridge where the channels and sometime phone number is.

https://freedomboatclub.com/guide-vhf-radio-channels/

"Channel 9
Pleasure-boat hailing channel (also bridges in Florida and other areas in the southern united states).
Channel 13
For requesting bridge openings, although in some areas it’s channel 67, and others its 9, like in here in SW Florida."

A few times bridges have become responsive tome when I call the USCG on Ch 16 and wanted to know why the bridge was unresponsive.

Last edited:
Sooooo, basically, to contact a lock or bridge, look for signs.... Just gotta get close enough to read the channel # and height to underside of the bridge. Remember, that height is at the center of the bridge.

Sooooo, basically, to contact a lock or bridge, look for signs.... Just gotta get close enough to read the channel # and height to underside of the bridge. Remember, that height is at the center of the bridge.
Or a cruising guide, or maybe a Coast Pilot, or internet, or try what I just said from NJ to FL.....

You can always try Ch16, then after a call or two some local will answer with "bridges/locks in XX (state) are on Ch XX."

And no the"height" is usually NOT to the center of the bridge. You have to sometimes get info from 2 or more sources. It's supposed to be the lowest clearance. Some though are charted to highest by mistake. Some have it posted either way or have "additional XX feet at center". Some will tell you info, others not so.

Be careful with bridges they are one of the worst wildcards along the AICW if not careful.

Last edited:
It's supposed to be the lowest clearance. Some though are charted to highest by mistake. Some have it posted either way or have "additional XX feet at center". Some will tell you info, others not so.

"Supposed to be...." Tell that to your insurance company.

Automated Radio Check Service uses one of VHF Channels 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 84. Simply tune your radio to the proper channel for your community.

And if there isn't a station locally, you can request Sea Tow to install one. I did this for Port Ludlow Marina in WA and it was all at no charge. They provided the radio and antenna.

The absolute limit to this method is receive only air traffic control. Typically used at flyins and the like, where the orders are based on visual feedback control only. I got in trouble once because I didn't know what a 1939 Bianca whatever looked like a mile ahead of me. :facepalm:

Definitely things happening quickly in the air, where radio clarity and brevity are paramount.

Sounds like you've done the Rippon to Fisk VFR approach into Oshkosh for the EAA Airventure fly-in... I've done it probably a dozen times... always interesting.

For those that don't know, the sheer numbers of aircraft arrivals requires deviation from normal airport procedures of aircraft sequencing arrivals. For the visual approach into Oshkosh, air traffic controllers are position along a 20+ mile pathway, and arriving aircraft are to sequence themselves within a minimum 1/4 mile staging and be at specific speed. Ground controllers with a set of binocs and a handheld radio will assist the sequencing and give control directions to aircraft with just aircraft description.

My plane was a polished aluminum, and one time ATC said "silver Cherokee, you're gonna be a 1/2 mile trail behind the red and white doctor killer..." (V-tail Bonanza). Even though acknowledgment is no radio talk but to wag the wings, I had to get on the freq and chuckle a "roger".

:socool:

And if there isn't a station locally, you can request Sea Tow to install one. I did this for Port Ludlow Marina in WA and it was all at no charge. They provided the radio and antenna.

Sea Tow was actually looking for a place to install one, and my marina volunteered. It worked great for a few years, then last year failed. I called Sea Tow and they said they'd open a problem ticket. It's still down.

I think they had a huge budget for installing new ones, but no maintenance budget.

Sea Tow was actually looking for a place to install one, and my marina volunteered. It worked great for a few years, then last year failed. I called Sea Tow and they said they'd open a problem ticket. It's still down.

I think they had a huge budget for installing new ones, but no maintenance budget.

If your in Seaford Va, the channel is 26. It works well as a test, it also plays adds.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom