Waste water tank vent location

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lou_tribal

Guru
Vessel Name
Bleuvet
Vessel Make
Custom Built
I am wondering where is located your waste water tank vent (well not yours but the one on your boat)?
Mine, the one on my boat, is aft on the side of the head while the tank is a third of the boat length from the bow.
I will replace the vent hose but the vent is in the worst accessible place and you need to be a contortionist to access it so I am thinking about relocating it. Two easily accessible places would be really aft, above the swim platform, accessible from a head cabinet or mid length on starboard side again accessible from a cabinet.

L

Our holding tank vent is located on the stern and there is what looks like a 1" tube that runs from there to the holding tank that is located under the aft bed. We have a second holding tank forward that vents along the bow.

I'm not sure the location is critical as long as it is above the waterline. :)

Our holding tank vent is located on the stern and there is what looks like a 1" tube that runs from there to the holding tank that is located under the aft bed. We have a second holding tank forward that vents along the bow.

I'm not sure the location is critical as long as it is above the waterline. :)
Well I guess it is better not to have it just below a windows that would allow some odor to come back in but well not easy to find a place with no windows above :)

L

I am wondering where is located your waste water tank vent (well not yours but the one on your boat)?
Mine, the one on my boat, is aft on the side of the head while the tank is a third of the boat length from the bow.
I will replace the vent hose but the vent is in the worst accessible place and you need to be a contortionist to access it so I am thinking about relocating it. Two easily accessible places would be really aft, above the swim platform, accessible from a head cabinet or mid length on starboard side again accessible from a cabinet.

L

Mine is about 1/3 back from the bow on the starboard side. The holding tank is right in the center of the boat.

I see two reasons for a vent. The first is to provide a way to equalize the pressure inside and outside of the tank. This is both for when contents are added and when the tank is being pumped out.

The second purpose (one that no builder ever seems to consider) is to allow enough air exchange so your tank contents get enough oxygen to keep them from stinking to bad.

Anywhere you put the vent will likely take care of that first purpose, but not the second. The longer the vent line, the less air exchange you will get and therefore the less O2 you get mixed with the holding tank contents. So the shorter the run the better. You might consider adding another vent line instead of just replacing the one you have. If you can put another vent line on the opposite side of the boat that would be great, or aft would be fine as well. I would just make sure that wherever you run it, it doesn't have any dips in the hose.

Dhays makes a good point. A loop or U in the vent line will keep water out of the tank if the vent opening gets sprayed or rained on. Boats moving around plus wind can cause water to be pushed into the vent. Loops are cheap in composite and can be had for a sum in bronze.

903000-vented-loop-siphon-valve-marine-boat-plumbing.jpg

If you consult Peggie's book the preferred arrangement for vent(s) is to have 2 - one either side as large and as straight as possible w straight bore thru hull no screens, baffles, etc.
I installed a second large straight vent on previous boat and it fixed an ongoing odor problem. Thank you Peggie
If above is not possible there are other alternatives... one large or add a bubbler to inject air.
I installed an inexpensive fish tank bubbler that cured a major odor problem on current boat. Details available if anyone interested just PM me and I can provide a link.

Last edited:
If you consult Peggie's book the preferred arrangement for vent(s) is to have 2 - one either side as large and as straight as possible w straight bore thru hull no screens, baffles, etc.
I installed a second large straight vent on previous boat and it fixed an ongoing odor problem. Thank you Peggie
If above is not possible there are other alternatives... one large or add a bubbler to inject air.
I installed an inexpensive fish tank bubbler that cured a major odor problem on current boat. Details available if anyone interested just PM me and I can provide a link.

+1. Absolutely correct. I had an 80 gallon holding tank in a previous boat that would knock you off the dock when you flushed a head. Talked to Peggie and I didn’t have a way to run a second vent so I put in a Groco Sweettank and it fixed the problem completely. I never added any chemicals for the rest of the 8 years I owned the boat and absolutely no smells.

First try to add a second vent, if not able put a bubbler in. And don’t add a vented loop. You want to be able to flush the vent with a hose to keep it clear if some sewage gets up into the vent hose. Don’t worry about water getting into a holding tank vent.

Last edited:

I copied the idea from Bacchus and it works great. Easier than trying to install a second air vent in my case.

Some precision, I do not have any odor issue or any other issue, just that I want to replace the aging vent hose and the vent is accessible if you are a hobbit that is gymnastics world champion lol
So the question about where your vent is so to relocate it in a more accessible place in case of maintenance.

L

Yes, yes, yes.

We upgraded ours to include a second vent. Now have TWO massive 1-1/2" vents, on either side of the forward quarter, one at each end of the elongated tank.

Adding an Additional Holding Tank Vent

Attachments

• HoldingTankVentsDiagram.jpg
    HoldingTankVentsDiagram.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Some precision, I do not have any odor issue or any other issue, just that I want to replace the aging vent hose and the vent is accessible if you are a hobbit that is gymnastics world champion lol
So the question about where your vent is so to relocate it in a more accessible place in case of maintenance.

L

If I were going to do the work on it I would go ahead and add the second vent. If I am going to work on the holding tank it is going to be as good as possible when I am done. If you don’t add a second vent at least go to a larger vent, as big as possible up to 1.5”.

You need to read it again, Don...'cuz I do NOT say that two vents are the preferred arrangement....see page 47:

"So the tank vent line should be as short, as straight, and as horizontal as possible, with no sags, no arches, and no bends. The minimum I.D of the hose (which is the “standard” size in use today, but for no reason other than being “standard” in fresh water and fuel tanks) is 5/8”. However, I recommend that it be at least 1” or even larger if the boat is large enough to let a larger vent thru-hull be cosmetically acceptable. Ideally, it should be no more than 3’ long, but no longer than 5’.

"If it has to be much longer, or if running the vent line uphill at angle sharper than 45 degrees can’t be avoided, or if it’s impossible to run a vent line that does not go around a corner, it may be necessary to install a second vent line in order to create cross ventilation, or install some mechanical means of forcing air through the tank."

I dunno how you manage to translate that into "Peggie's preferred arrangement is two vents."

You didn't get this quite right either:
I see two reasons for a vent. The first is to provide a way to equalize the pressure inside and outside of the tank. This is both for when contents are added and when the tank is being pumped out.

Tank vents don't "equalize" pressure, they simply provide an escape for air displaced by incoming contents and a source of air to replace contents as they're drawn out. This applies to all tanks--fuel, water and waste. Aerobic/anaerobic matters only in waste tanks, both sewage and gray water.

Replies to several other comments:

A loop or U in the vent line will keep water out of the tank if the vent opening gets sprayed or rained on. Boats moving around plus wind can cause water to be pushed into the vent.

Only if the vent thru-hull is at the boat's waterline, which is a very bad location for it Spray, splashing or rain couldn't put enough water to notice into any vent. If you think it can, lay a 2 liter soda bottle on its side and aim a garden hose with the nozzle set to spray at it from just a foot away and see how much water you can put the bottle.

But even if splashing, rain and spray could put water into the tank, so what? It's obviously necessary to keep sea and rain water out of f.uel and water tanks, but we're talking about sewage holding tanks here! A whole bucket full of water down the vent would only dilute it a little.

I'm not sure the location is critical as long as it is above the waterline

Location DOES matter a LOT! Your forward tank is vented correctly..in fact, ideally except for replacing the "vent" thru-hull with an open one! But as for your aft tank...an aerator is the only way to prevent odor out a vent through the transom. Boat builders vent out the transom in a misguided attempt to send odor away from the boat. It doesn't do the people downwind of your boat any favors though!

And finally...

Lou...looking at the photo of your boat and going by your description of the tank location, I'd run a new 1"--or even 1.5"--vent line off the top of the tank at the forward end of it (installing a new vent fitting in a plastic tank is actually pretty easy, thanks to a little gadget called the Uniseal UNISEAL ) running the line forward to ONE new open bulkhead or "mushroom" thru-hull. Your photo makes it appear that you can bring it out only about 3' aft of the bow, which would be ideal because air would be forced in--and thererfore also out again--to the tank when the boat is underway, on an anchor or even at the dock as long as there's even the lightest breeze. Using No-Flex Digestor Noflex Digestor in the tank will ensure you'll never have odor out the vent.

--Peggie

Peggie,..
My apologies for misinterpreting your advice.
It has been awhile since I pulled your book out and reread it. I just recall adding a second vent on my previous boat after receiving and reading your book and it made a world of difference (original vent was next to impossible to access to enlarge).

The pressure equalization comment wasn't mine but IMO? technically Dave is correct...
Without a pressure differential there will be no flow... flow is a function of the P differential. If one adds contents to the tank and no vent the P will increase. With the vent is increases (very little) and the vent allows the flow (escape) until the P are the same. Wind creates a pressure that can induce a flow back in. The only other drivers can be gravity due to a specific gravity difference of the contents and/or a temp difference that causes convection.
Think of a water filled hose... if both ends are the same height there's no flow. If you raise one end you create a head pressure and the water flows until there is zero differential.

Last edited:
:smitten:You're forgiven. It was late...I'd had a long frustrating day and I was tired. So I over-reacted just a bit.

As for pressure equalization...you and Dave are prob'ly correct and I may be splitting semantic hairs, but it's gonna take more conversation than is practical in a forum so I need to talk with one of my engineer friends about it.

--Peggie

I thought I read that a loop was needed to keep water out.

You need a loop on fuel vents to keep water out but on the holding tank a loop will just introduce possible clogging. It doesn’t matter if a bit of spray gets into the holding tank as long as it is not positioned so it picks up a lot of water.

I thought I read that a loop was needed to keep water out.

It's very important to keep water--especially sea water, but even lake or river water too--out of fuel and water tanks...so you weren't very far off base. It's just not necessary to keep it out of waste tanks, while it's very important that there be nothing in waste tank vent lines that could clog 'em or impede the free exchange of air with gasses in the tank that are generated by organic matter as it breaks down. Which is why waste tank vents need to be as short, straight and as horizontal as possible...and also at or slightly above the level of the top of the tank.

Re-reading my reply to you last night, I realize that while I'm always pretty straightforward and "to the point" in my comments, I went a bit over the top in my reply to you too...I apologize.

--Peggie

It's very important to keep water--especially sea water, but even lake or river water too--out of fuel and water tanks...so you weren't very far off base. It's just not necessary to keep it out of waste tanks, while it's very important that there be nothing in waste tank vent lines that could clog 'em or impede the free exchange of air with gasses in the tank that are generated by organic matter as it breaks down. Which is why waste tank vents need to be as short, straight and as horizontal as possible...and also at or slightly above the level of the top of the tank.

Re-reading my reply to you last night, I realize that while I'm always pretty straightforward and "to the point" in my comments, I went a bit over the top in my reply to you too...I apologize.

--Peggie
That's ok. I need to be set straight once in a while. :flowers:

I installed two 1.5” vents to my new tank and I use Noflex as per directions religiously. One vent is just forward of where the hull begins to taper to the bow and one is on the flat side and the side one is maybe a foot long. This provides a flow of air while I am running, from the front higher pressure area to the rear. The tank performed flawlessly although if you are collecting pee you still need Noflex!

Don’t put a vent above your transom as it will spoil your swimming activities. The fact is that you have a tank full of sewage and a happy sewage tank will smell like its full of sewage a bit, occasionally until the Noflex gets to it but if you have a healthy tank it won’t be anaerobic which REALLY stinks!

Lou, if you can get access to where you want your new vent, try using schedule 40 pipe. Its easy to use and will never permeate and you can use these great threaded/sealed joints so with a little planning you can unscrew and remove the entire octopus and remove it without tools, if you ever need to again. No more hose clamps or “5 year hose” ever again. The connectors attach to the through-hulls with threaded fittings directly.

All my plumbing is now either Pex/Sharkbite or schedule 40. I’ve done my last poop hose change and had my last plumbing leak. Now if my guest didn’t break the toilet seat I’d be done with sewage!

And a shout-out to Peggy, I attended a lecture of yours at Grand Banks Rendezvous when I had a GB and that has guided my efforts. Thank you.

Last edited:
My understanding is that the holding tank needs to be vented to atmosphere to allow for pump out and also to ensure that the sullage has sufficient oxygen to maintain aerobic bacteria.

I have a vent to both sides of the boat so that it vents no matter which way the wind is blowing from. I am on a swing mooring.

I have no odour issues at all.

Murungal

It maybe an idea to add a Sealand charcoal canister filter in the vent line, and add a Sealand "save a tank" valve in the holding tank.

It maybe an idea to add a Sealand charcoal canister filter in the vent line, and add a Sealand "save a tank" valve in the holding tank.

Bad ideas, actually. Vent line filters actually help to create the problem they're sold to solve (if only I could have invented something that does that!) because the impede the free flow of air needed to keep the environment in the tank aerobic...which is the key to PREVENTING odor from occurring. Even worse, they're toast if they get wet...the charcoal swells and blocks the vent, making it impossible to prevent vent blockages by backflushing the vent line every time you wash the boat.

The "Tank Saver" valve is another over-priced gadget that can cause more problems than it solves. It's only needed by those who can't be bothered to keep the vent line clear and can get clogged by waste and fail. Replacing the "vent" thru-hull with an open bulkhead or "mushroom" thru-hull that allows plenty of air exchange and also lets you stick a hose nozzle against it to back flush the vent line is a fraction of the price and makes gadgets unnecessary.

--Peggie

Never had a problem myself with these 2 devices over 15 yrs with my boat (41ft Cruisers) but thanks for the input.

Peggie is absolutely correct about the vent filter. Don’t do it. I don’t know about the other device, but I take everything Peggie says to the bank.

As I say, I have the 2 devices installed, which Cruisers yachts did at the factory when the boat was built (I bought her new) and never had a problem, just changed the filter every 2 years, never had any smells on the dock etc, and the "tank saver" (protects tank against high vacuum dock pump out systems, I know of 2 boats that had their holding tank leak due to such a system) admits air into the tank through a filter also, never had the slightest holding tank smell in the boat. But as I said, thanks for the input, always appreciate people's ideas etc. Cheers

As I say, I have the 2 devices installed, which Cruisers yachts did at the factory when the boat was built (I bought her new) and never had a problem, just changed the filter every 2 years, never had any smells on the dock etc, and the "tank saver" (protects tank against high vacuum dock pump out systems, I know of 2 boats that had their holding tank leak due to such a system) admits air into the tank through a filter also, never had the slightest holding tank smell in the boat. But as I said, thanks for the input, always appreciate people's ideas etc. Cheers

The high volume pump out system wasn’t the problem, it was likely a clogged holding tank. Several ways that can happen. A tank that gets overfilled and waste gets stuck in the vent, dries out, and clogs the line. A vent filter can cause the line to be plugged or significantly obstruct it, or it is possible to have bugs that build nests in the vent line plugging it up.

You can avoid the first by backflushing your vent when it is pumped out. You can avoid the second by not having a filter in the vent line. Not sure about avoiding the third other than maybe using the boat a lot.

IN homes and RV the vent line is run to the roof , only on boats do folks think that a 1/2 inch hole in the side will work.

Good ventilation to kill the stink, requires fresh oxygen , so perhaps the simplest fix would be a 2 inch vent?

What does work is an air pump from an aquarium , but they require power.

If a vent line were run high on the boat , the RV folks have vents to assist in circulating air.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Re...MI2uXx9rav5AIVEbbICh2xjgVKEAQYAiABEgJtzPD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40597-...ocphy=9003342&hvtargid=pla-449846971080&psc=1

It actually was the problem ...... the company used a sewage truck with high volume vacuum pump that they connected to a common manifold line running down the dock with tap off's to each boat. The 2 tanks that had issues had no Sealand tank savers (patented devices - 2 inch opening) installed. So there was nor air admittance into the tanks when pumped out apart from the smaller "air exit" vent line to the outside of the boat. Once again Cruisers Yachts / Sea Ray etc, etc use this set up and I have had no issues with interior smell in the boat, outside doors when the heads are being used, but I appreciate the input from everybody.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom