Washington State Visit Permit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nsail

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I have my documented boat in Washington for the summer and am aware that a permit is needed if it's to stay in Washington state for 60 days or more. This "visit permit" can also be renewed for an additional 60 days for a maximum visit time of 120 days. After that, it is my understanding that the boat will then need to be registered.

Questions -

1. Any idea what the permit costs? I've looked and looked on the internet and the Washington state web site simply says to contact the local office for details.

2. Someone told me that if you just visit Canada (which I'll be doing) periodically that you don't need the permit as the rules mean 60 consecutive days. I'm not sure I'm buying into that as the Washington web site doesn't mention it.

Does anybody know for sure what the regulations are?

Thanks
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I have my documented boat in Washington for the summer and am aware that a permit is needed if it's to stay in Washington state for 60 days or more. This "visit permit" can also be renewed for an additional 60 days for a maximum visit time of 120 days. After that, it is my understanding that the boat will then need to be registered.

Questions -

1. Any idea what the permit costs? I've looked and looked on the internet and the Washington state web site simply says to contact the local office for details.

2. Someone told me that if you just visit Canada (which I'll be doing) periodically that you don't need the permit as the rules mean 60 consecutive days. I'm not sure I'm buying into that as the Washington web site doesn't mention it.

Thanks[/FONT]
===================================
Are you leasing a slip, that's what they are going to go by? If it's a private marina, it's unlikely they will catch up with you over just one summer. Most boat inspections are conducted by the Coast Guard and as long as you have valid paperwork and are visiting Washington, they aren't going to care. But if it's a Port District or city owned marina like, LaConner, Anacortes or Friday Harbor, etc. they pay attention that boats monthly leasing slips are registered in Washington, it's a source of revenue for the cities and counties. My new tabs are laying on the dash of my boat, it was raining when I was over there last weekend. I was chatting with the port security guard when I was leaving and he reminded me I needed to put my new tags on by July 1st. So they are watching.

If you're going to Canada, be sure and bring your passport.

Larry B

Questions -

Thanks[/FONT]

Check the regulations. I believe you can stay 60 days with out a permit required and then an other 60 days with a permit that is renewable once for a total of 180 days out of 365 days. We did this in 2007/2008 but never got the permit. We stayed on Lopez Island and in Everett but for never more than 60 days in one location and stayed less than 180 days in WA out of 365. The only marina that even hinted about a permit was in Anacortes.

Here are a couple of links that I found useful when I purchased a WA registered boat. Part of it also applies to non residents - basically you need a cruising permit.
WAC 458-20-238: Sales of watercraft to nonresidents
Vessel Brokers and Dealers
I could have either left WA within 3 months of purchase, perhaps visiting Canada just for 1 day. Re-entering WA would have reset the clock, but I would have needed to buy a cruising permit at the time of reentry for whatever duration I felt I needed. Instead I paid the money and bought the one time 1 year cruising permit. I have to leave WA within that year, and cannot return for 2 years. Or pay WA sales tax, and a penalty. I wont forget to leave, believe me!

Back
Top Bottom