Washington to Alaska trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksanders

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
DOS PECES
Vessel Make
BAYLINER 4788
We're leaving Anacortes Washington enroute to Seward Alaska on or about 21-April, weather dependent.

Is anybody else planning on traveling north this spring or summer?

We're pretty excited. This is my second inside passage and Gulf of Alaska crossing, and the madin voyage for our new 4788 Bayliner.

Last edited:
What will bring you up to Seward?
How long do you think the trip will take?
What I mean is. Lots to see along the way.
SD

What will bring you up to Seward?
How long do you think the trip will take?
What I mean is. Lots to see along the way.
SD

Dave

We're going to be home based in Seward. I gave up my 28' slip in Whittier this last fall when I sold my old boat "American Dream" I was the guy parked in slip F1 last summer, as a handicap slip while my wife recovered from her injuries.

We're going to make the trip open ended. I have lots of Vacation scheduled for this summer and we're going to play it by ear. We could make the trip in as little as 2 weeks if we just go for it every day, but we're just going to see how this one unfolds.

Our boat has just been through a major refit and repower so we'll be spending allot of time checking everything out prior to the gulf crossing, which will be 321NM from Yakutat on over to Seward.

Kevin-

Larry here, formerly of BOC (3870, moved to Ocean Alexander Mk I).
Planning to do anything to record/document/share your trip?
We're planning to spend a couple of months this summer travelling up as far as the Broughtons and back, and have started a blog to share our journey with family/friends. We also have a SPOT tracker so that they can "follow" us virtually. It would be cool to see where you go/stop along the way.

Kevin-

Larry here, formerly of BOC (3870, moved to Ocean Alexander Mk I).
Planning to do anything to record/document/share your trip?
We're planning to spend a couple of months this summer travelling up as far as the Broughtons and back, and have started a blog to share our journey with family/friends. We also have a SPOT tracker so that they can "follow" us virtually. It would be cool to see where you go/stop along the way.

Hey Larry, small world...

I was planning on having a thread in the Motor Yacht section over at the BOC.

I spend allot of time here lately because the conversations revolve around the kind of boating we're venturing into with the new 4788.

Its nice to get some prespective into my new world of go slow boating.

Big change from our past boats at 27 knots cruise. :)

Kevin

Hi Kevin, are you familiar with with these guides by Don and Réanne InsidePassageNews.com I know you've done this trip before but I found some of their information on passages, anchorages, and secret spots 'AT LEAST TO ME" to be very valuable. They also publish a cruise planning chart that rolls out the entire inside passage on one long chart suitable only as an overview for planning your overall trip as high as Glacier Bay. Some of the South East locals had felt that the Douglas's had taken advantage of them by publishing their special places in their cruising guides. The guides gave me the courage to stick my nose into places like Dry Pass, Rocky Pass, and other really neat spots that I would have blown right by. I found these to be much better than Charlies Charts as to quantity of anchorages and secret little holes to hang out and explore. I wish you good luck on getting decent weather for your trip home. I know it's a little out of your way but if you haven't been there yet, Princes Louisa is worth the detour.

Kevin, you should create a blog to journal about your trip and to post pictures on!

Thanks Guys!

Steve

I've got Wagoners, and another called "local knowledge" for cruising guides.

I'll get a copy of the guides from insidepassagenews.com Having more information is of course better.

Woodsong, I'm not much of a blogger. I've never done that. Not really familiar with some of the new social media resources. I think my admrial would freak if I had a Blog.

The last time we made this trip was 2003. all I have left over from that trip is hundreds of photos. That was before we had a cruising logbook.

This trip I was going to document the trip in a word doc, and in our cruising logbook.

Ksanders. Keep an eye out for us on your way up. I am bringing up my Californian from Everett and should be on our way on the 15th of April. I've been planning this trip all winter and am taking along 3 friends. Since I'll be docking Spirit in Seward we'll have to look up each other after the trip and compare notes.

Ksanders. Keep an eye out for us on your way up. I am bringing up my Californian from Everett and should be on our way on the 15th of April. I've been planning this trip all winter and am taking along 3 friends. Since I'll be docking Spirit in Seward we'll have to look up each other after the trip and compare notes.

Fantastic! Another Alaskan bringing their boat home.

Are you actually leaving Everett on the 15th?

Is this going to be a boat delivery, or are you taking allot of time off along the way?

I assume you'll be cruising at 7 knots, daylight hours only?

For us, I get off the slope on Thursday, and am headed for Anacortes on Friday the 20th. The boats been checked out pretty thuroughly, and I spent a week on her in november getting everything situated and learning the systems.

We plan on departing Anacortes at 0 dark 30 on the 21st.

This is a relaxed boat delivery for us. I have new engines to break in so we'll be putting some load on for the first couple of days at least, then dropping back to a more leisurly pace.

Our plans are to cruise sunup to sundown, but not push the weather. Our weather holding points are Port Hardy, Prince Rupert, Elfin Cove, Yakutat.

Are you planning on doing your Gulf of Alaska crossing from Yakutat directly to Seward, or are you planning on going into Prince William Sound to limit your exposure?

Back
Top Bottom