Washing lines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PMF1984

Guru
Vessel Name
Wanderer
Vessel Make
Pilgrim 40
Hey All,

Has anyone had experience washing boat lines in a home washing machine?

Will it destroy the machine?

John

Hey All,

John

Laundry matt!:thumb:
I have used the big ones late at night at a 24 hour laundry matt. I would not do it at home. Did want to take the chance of doing some damage to ours, plus the dirt! Let the laundry matt worry about it.

Cheers.
H

Make sure its not a top-loader, you will have God's own birdsnest. Don't ask how I know.

Make sure its not a top-loader, you will have God's own birdsnest. Don't ask how I know.

Ummmm I understand! But I have never do that myself! :hide::rofl:

However we do not have to say a word! :thumb:

Cheers.

H

It does work. Come out looking like new. Air dry, :thumb:

Fill kitchen size trash can with line, add water, detergent and FABRIC SOFTENER. Let sit 24 hours, pull line out and put back in two or three times, then flush and rinse. The fabric softener does wonders on stiff dock lines.

Fill kitchen size trash can with line, add water, detergent and FABRIC SOFTENER. Let sit 24 hours, pull line out and put back in two or three times, then flush and rinse. The fabric softener does wonders on stiff dock lines.

Great tip!!! :thumb: However to much work for me!:rofl:

Cheers.

H.

We`ve successfully washed canvas in our front loader, as a follow up to judicious use of the water blaster(avoiding the stitching unless prepping the cover for restitching:)).
But with ropes, I think the soaking in a bucket method is safer. Any machine that can move all small items to clump inside a fitted sheet could do considerable mischief to rope.

Thanks all!

I'll go with the bucket, the machine wash sounds like more problems.

John

I've washed my dock lines in home washing machines for years without any issues. I've used both top loaders and front loaders. Both machines put the lines into a large knot but it only takes a few minutes to unwind the knot.

I set the machine up for an additional rinse then, when the machine is done, I just take them outside and string them up to dry.

I put them in a mesh laundry bag I bought at WalMart and washed them in our home machine. No knots or bird nests. Line dry.

You guys are overthinking it.. drag them behind the boat fora couple hours then rinse in fresh water...
Hollywood

I put a wide plastic tub in the back of my pickup then the lines in a black garbage bag with water laundry detergent and softener. Tie the bag closed, drive around as usual for a day or two then take them out and rinse it does work. I read about it here or another similar forum a few years ago.

I thought I was the only one who put his lines in the washing machine! Great to know that I am not alone!

I thought I was the only one who put his lines in the washing machine! Great to know that I am not alone!

Been doing it for years. Shhhh don't tell anyone! :rofl:

Cheers.

H.

Hmmmm, let me see: Wash the lines in the home washing machine or drag them behind the boat for a couple of days. How many times in that couple of days would I forget about them and hit reverse? Seems to me washing in a machine is much easier and cheaper than cutting the lines out of the props and shafts.

I've washed lines in a top loader. Gentle cycle helps. Fabric softener works great too.

Haven't tried a front loader yet.

Might depend on the machine and how heavy the lines are, but we wash ours in a top-loader approx. once/year. They tangle, not a big deal. Extra rinse seems to help...

-Chris

I've washed my dock lines in home washing machines for years without any issues. I've used both top loaders and front loaders. Both machines put the lines into a large knot but it only takes a few minutes to unwind the knot.

I set the machine up for an additional rinse then, when the machine is done, I just take them outside and string them up to dry.

+1
:thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom